Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

One piece of advice....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

One piece of advice....

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 23, 2015 •  [Post 1]

What is one piece of advice you would share with a new elk Hunter?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: One piece of advice....

Postby Swede » 10 23, 2015 •  [Post 2]

It is difficult to boil down the important things to one point, but to my way of thinking:
It is not , get in great physical condition. At age 68, I am less able that I was at age 40. That is ok. I will just hunt a little differently.
It is not to study and learn everything you can, even though this is important.
You don't have to become an expert caller. Many successful elk hunters don't call. Ditto learning tree stand hunting.
Patience is very valuable, but that is not the top one either.
Staying alert all of the time you are out hunting is important, but not tops in my book.

My pick is Persevere. When things look poor, you are not seeing or hearing elk, and discouragement starts to set in, hang in there. When you get tired and sore, keep on going. You have at least eleven months to recuperate. When the weather is lousy, stay and hunt. Maybe you try something different, or go somewhere new, but Persevere. I have killed elk not only the last week of the season, or even the last weekend of a 30 day hunt. I have killed elk the very last hour. That won't happen if you are back home licking your wounds and feeling sorry for yourself. Don't blame your problems on anything or anyone, especially yourself. Blame helps nothing. Give it all you have, and persevere.

Here are the rewards of staying out as long as you can, and persevering.
You get more game. Hours and days out gives you more opportunity to see and get elk.
You will inevitably learn a lot staying out there. Even things you read here make more sense, and you can recognize bad advise. You will learn what works and what doesn't. You learn your hunting area better.
You develop a better foundation to build future hunts on. You know you need to adjust and need to try different things.
You can be proud of your effort. When you give it all you have, you are no loser.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby redtop » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 3]

Hunt where there are elk!
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Indian Summer » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 4]

redtop wrote:Hunt where there are elk!

Ok everyone I guess we will meet in Redtop's back yard! :lol:

I can only boil it down to 2 things.

One is learn to fail and keep your chin up. Elk hunting can be a lonely game at times. Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing, bam! it's ot like deer or antelope hunting where you can watch game every day. Every morning when you leave camp you should be telling yourself with confidence "Today could be the day" One thing is for sure... nobody kills elk after giving up. By giving up I don't mean staying in camp or heading home. I mean by hunting without confidence.

Two is pick a spot learn it and stick with it. Some of you have heard me say before that a hunter can be successful in a marginal area if he knows it well but a really good elk hunter can strike out in a great area if he doesn't now how the elk use it. ALSO... as you get older you have to learn to hunt smarter instead of harder. Knowing every inch of your hunting area is the way to do that. There are old timers and people who are way less physically fit than others who are in that 10% that punches their tag every year. The sooner you zero in on a place to call home the sooner you can begin that learning process. If you hunt a place that just isn't that good move on. I talk to so many people who say my spot isn't too good but I know it well and dread the thought of starting over. Don't be that guy, or gal. The day you find a place that has what you're looking for is the first day of the rest of your hunting career. I got a message last week that said "Man, after learning my area the thought of going back to square one is terrible" My reply... "Well it's better than hunting square zero again isn't it?"
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby twinkieman » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 5]

I would have to say that while applying for those really special hunts, and drawing a great tag, is a womnderful thing, pick a state, or states, where you are able to hunt elk every year. To be successful we need to hunt, learn the area, you are in, learn the feeding, bedding, staging areas in your area, and expand theses areas each year, and always be proficient with your weapon of choice.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby T.B. » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 6]

As someone still at the lower end of the learning curve I will do my best to persevere . Great advice swede. Hits home for me
T.B.

Postby good2eat » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 7]

As another new comer, prepare to be humbled. This is just my third season but man have I learned a lot. The first season I had NO CLUE, second season a little better, this season I scouted hard, thought I had it figured only to find the areas in which I found tons of sign empty or that I wasn't able to close the deal. Was able to call in a few elk and that was exciting.

I have more work to do in setups and finding where the elk go when pressured......perserverence to be sure, obsession is a more apt description!

Long winded way to say my #1 includes perservere, know your area, develop your skils. Pay Your Dues.
good2eat

Postby hike2hunt » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 8]

It only takes one shot to change all the bad days. As was said before "persevere" will keep you in the fight, and give you that chance, everyday will be a challenge, how you prepare is on you
hike2hunt

First Name: Eric
Last Name: S

Postby Passin Thru » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 9]

Leave the damn ATV in your pickup or on a trailer. I missed several opportunities due to Maroons on them. One time I was 400 yds from 3 bull moose and a cow moose, a cow Elk was 4 yd away grazing and I was sure a bull was standing in the dark timber above. Here came 2 guys on ATVs and they never saw any game. I saw a Mountain Lion, 1 Porcupine and coyotes. I will write to have them banned in National Forests. They are a nuisance. I have one to retrieve a downed animal and never unloaded it but I don't know why these fools think they can run down an Elk with one.
Passin Thru

Postby redtop » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 10]

Joe, My backyard isn't too bad it's true. But things change, the wolves had really altered things here the past few years. This year things improved. Less wolves (thank you Wyoming Game and Fish) and the elk returned. That's what I meant by hunt where there are elk. Keep informed of local conditions. Hunt where there are elk. It's not always the same year to year. I know many hunters that just hunt where they got an elk last year or some other year and do it all the same. Don't expect the elk to be static. It's a changing world for all of us, elk included.
redtop
Site Sponsor

First Name: norm
Last Name: larson

Postby Indian Summer » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 11]

redtop wrote:Joe, My backyard isn't too bad it's true. But things change, the wolves had really altered things here the past few years. This year things improved. Less wolves (thank you Wyoming Game and Fish) and the elk returned. That's what I meant by hunt where there are elk. Keep informed of local conditions. Hunt where there are elk. It's not always the same year to year. I know many hunters that just hunt where they got an elk last year or some other year and do it all the same. Don't expect the elk to be static. It's a changing world for all of us, elk included.

Have you been up the drainage I checked out last year?
Indian Summer

Postby GobbleFarmer » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 12]

One piece of advice? Me: where are you hunting. Dude: over in them thar mountains. Me: there are no elk around here, or there! :lol:

Nah, I'm kidding. I am picking up pieces of advice from you guys all the time! I plan to put them to use in years to come! 8-) I don't have anything to give back yet! :(
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.” ~ Benjamin Franklin.
GobbleFarmer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 10 24, 2015 •  [Post 13]

Lotsa good stuff guys. I would add that to learn elk behavior, and, their vocalizations is paramount. If at all possible, spend time close to elk, even if during your first hunting season or two, observing and listening to them. After all, we really can't master hunting a certain species until we understand their behaviors, patterns, and vocalizations (Elknut has made a career of this).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 10 25, 2015 •  [Post 14]

Behavior: They hide.

Patterns: If you find them they go hide somewhere else where it's harder to find them.

Vocalizations: They shut up when you are looking for them.

:D
Indian Summer

Postby ElkNut1 » 10 25, 2015 •  [Post 15]

I have been exposed to this question many times by newer hunters especially ones who want to hunt with a bow. I let them know that "Elk Hunting Is A Process" It's not a "just do this" & you're good to go.

Learn to shoot your bow & how to maintain it.

Be physically prepared, age & or out of shape will determine how much conditioning is needed.

Research intended state & units to hunt.

Will you bivy hunt or base camp.

Do not wait to draw a tag to elk hunt, hunt every year you can for cow or bull.

Learn how to glass & call elk, both can be important depending on area hunted.

Equip your self with average gear/clothing & boots, don't break the bank -- Light weight rain gear is most important.

Will you hunt alone or want a hunting partner? If a partner, learn these things together.

After a season or two you will polish things up & make needed changes in any of the above.

This is a good start but not an end all.

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby bald9eagle » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 16]

ElkNut1 wrote:I have been exposed to this question many times by newer hunters especially ones who want to hunt with a bow. I let them know that "Elk Hunting Is A Process" It's not a "just do this" & you're good to go.

Learn to shoot your bow & how to maintain it.

Be physically prepared, age & or out of shape will determine how much conditioning is needed.

Research intended state & units to hunt.

Will you bivy hunt or base camp.

Do not wait to draw a tag to elk hunt, hunt every year you can for cow or bull.

Learn how to glass & call elk, both can be important depending on area hunted.

Equip your self with average gear/clothing & boots, don't break the bank -- Light weight rain gear is most important.

Will you hunt alone or want a hunting partner? If a partner, learn these things together.

After a season or two you will polish things up & make needed changes in any of the above.

This is a good start but not an end all.

ElkNut1

I'm going to print this and put it on my fridge...
bald9eagle

Postby CurlyTail » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 17]

My advice is to fall in love with the Elk, and not the size of the horns. Sure there is a time and place for Trophy Hunting, and I like a big bull as much as anyone, but I think most guys would have more fun if they consider any Elk a trophy, value the meat, value the challenge mentally and physically, and learn to be thankful for whatever happens that year.

I also really encourage guys to be a do-it-yourselfer. Nothing beats the satisfaction of figuring it our for yourself, and accomplishing your goals.
CurlyTail

First Name: Jim
Last Name: B.

Postby Kevrod3 » 10 26, 2015 •  [Post 18]

Well I for one found out last year the hard way... We walked away from the smell of elk... Ya I have know Idea why we did. We were so consumed with seeing, calling, and listening for elk that we didn't use our noses! Elk stink like a cow/horse stall. We had smelled the strongest musky scent and didn't go check it out. It was only day two of our 9 day hunt and we didn't want to investigate for fear of running the elk out of the country. Truth be told, elk move... Elk move a lot! Had we snuck down on those elk, during mid day like it was and because of the 20+mph winds we probably could of gotten right in on em... Hind sight... SO one piece of advice is ... Follow your nose. Especially if your not seeing, or hearing anything!
Kevrod3

First Name: Kevin
Last Name: Sertell

Postby StartMyHunt » 10 27, 2015 •  [Post 19]

Kevrod,

I could not agree more. We hunt the dark timber 90% of the time we are out. I would say that smell alerts us to the presence of nearby elk 60% of the time, sound about 30%, and sight the remainder. The other piece of advice I would give if this is your style of hunting is to walk about 20 steps and stop and smell and listen for about a minute, then repeat. The reason for using this tactic is that if you just go blazing through an area where elk are bedded nearby, they will just let you walk by if you do not stop. By stopping, they get nervous and will most likely get out of there beds to see what is nearby.

Mike
Good Luck,

Mike--Wapiti Talk Sponsor

720-224-3822
email: mike@startmyhunt.com
http://startmyhunt.com/testimonials/
StartMyHunt

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Holle