Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Tree stand hunting roosevelts

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Tree stand hunting roosevelts

Postby Xhuntr » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Hi Everyone,

I'm a long time lurker who finally decided to make a post. I'm a native Oregonian who hunts mainly along the Oregon coast range. Last year was my first season hunting and my first season hunting with bow. I wasn't successful but had several close encounters. I passed up a cow on opening day that I shouldn't have. Anyway, needless to say I have elk fever now.

Now to my question. How would you go about tree stand hunting Roosevelt elk? Would the strategy be different than hunting rocky mountain elk? There's quite a bit of water where I hunt.

Thanks!
Xhuntr

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Togstad

Re: Tree stand hunting roosevelts

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 24, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Welcome to "the elk forum" Xhuntr. I would imagine W OR is much like W WA where perhaps, the water is very plentiful and ambush points (tree stands) at any given water point may not be as fruitful as dryer locals. I would imagine various choke points, well used trails, transition saddles, even established routes between feed and bed may be productive but I'll defer to the Oregon tree stand master on your question ;) Oh, I do want to add that I'd recommend you take the first legal elk you can put your pin on this year and break the ice. Any elk taken in fair chase is an accomplishment.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Welcome Xhuntr!

Forum Moderator "Swede" has a book on Treestanding for elk that is getting great reviews: http://stores.elknut.com/Categories.bok?category=Playbook

Would be a nice tool to have in your arsenal!

I agree that "pinch points" or heavily used elk trails with a lot of sign between feeding and bedding areas would be your best bet. Multiple trail cams would be a good way to decide where to ambush
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Welcome xhuntr to the forum. The key to locating your tree stand is essentially the same for whatever you are hunting. Find a location where you have a high probably of getting into shooting range and can make a shot on the critter. For Rosies I would find a well used trail between the elk's bedding area and feeding area. I live near elk here in western Oregon. I see several high use areas within walking distance of my house. One is a bedding area on a knoll overlooking a draw, and the other is in a canyon bottom in a little Alder flat. I think scouting is as important for Roosevelt elk as for Yellowstone elk. Maybe it requires more precision.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Xhuntr » 07 25, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks guys. I appreciate the responses. I will definitely be taking the first legal elk this year. I actually just got done reading Swede's book. It was a great read along with Paul's playbook.
Xhuntr

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Togstad

Postby Washington Wapiti » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Just ordered it! I did not know Swede was an author. This is my first year hunting out of a treestand, so I'm looking forward to the read. Thanks John! Paul's is next. :)
Washington Wapiti

First Name: SHAWN

Postby the weasel » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

as did I! can't wait for it it hit my mailbox!!!! i'm also focusing on the "WEST" side now.....
the weasel

First Name: john