Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Strategy question pursuing elk

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Strategy question pursuing elk

Postby jwhite22 » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So here is my question on whether to start at the bottom of a drainage and work up to the clear cuts on a morning Archery elk hunt or just start above, glass and listen, then move down the clear cut and into the deep timber. I can probably already answer this question myself.
So this is why I'm asking in the past I've been set up early before sunrise in a nice location and as dawn breaks the rest of the hunters start moving in and the once quite logging road begins to look like a city street. I’m not complaining but it seems to me that if everyone is above and riding the edge of the GMU then the animals are going to be pushed down and rather quickly. So I thought rather than help push the animals down I would start at the bottom and slowly work up the drainages toward the clear cuts. I have a decent understanding of the terrain so I’m thinking it will be very step with some areas that level off slightly as I’m moving up. I’m starting to thinking about scent and being able to see uphill…I may be over thinking it.
Lastly the previous season when it got busy it was muzzleloader season and this year I will be hunting with a bow so I’m thinking there will be a little less traffic. I’ve researched a ton of GMU’s but I’m drawn back here because it’s one of the only units I’ve set foot in for elk hunting.
jwhite22

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: White

Re: Strategy question pursuing elk

Postby Vanish » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Every area is going to be different. I pounded my head for almost two years trying to find the elk much after the first couple of hours of the morning. I was working the thermals as is generally advised, working uphill in the morning, then down in the evening. Then one morning I was down very low on the mountain when I got into elk ... and more elk, and more elk as the day went on.

In this particular area, the elk were actually moving DOWN the mountain in the morning, to some very dark timber with springs that kept it cool during the heat of the day, as well as away from most of the hunters.

Only experience with a particular area is going to show you how the elk move through it.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby elkmtngear » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

In most of the drainages in our area, we have no choice but to work from the top down (no road access in the bottoms)

So we glass/listen in the mornings, and then we are usually forced to make a wide circle down and around to get underneath the elk to avoid blowing them out with our scent.

If I had the opportunity to work up into them, I'd do it in that area.

Best of Luck,
Jeff
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby jwhite22 » 06 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Thanks for the replies I do appreciate the input regarding my question. This info helps give me a refresher and a little more confidence going into this years hunt, at least with the approach, or should I say search. Last year I peeled back a little more insight with a muzzleloader cow harvest! First elk, what an experience especially since I took along a friend who had never hunted before. Talk about working our tails off! Memories I will have forever I'm laughing right now thinking about it. So this season I will be packing my bow and I'm determined to get on some elk. I'm excited!
jwhite22

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Bottoms up! LOL! Work the thermals. We all know some of the best times to hunt are early morning and late evening. During these time frames, the thermals are going down hill. So given the chance, you would be better off to hunt up the drainage from the bottom with the wind in your face. High ridges are great for glassing. But until the sun warms up the mountain side and the thermals start flowing up, well, so much for the wind in your face!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I have situations much like Jeff's. For those areas, I drop well down in the draw in the early AM and work the bottom and lower side slopes until it is time to move up as the thermals start carrying my scent upward. Ya I know, I just repeated what WW said.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby jwhite22 » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 7]

The unit section that I am looking to hunt seems manageable to me especially after the feedback I've received. The section that I'm looking at is bordering a special draw unit that produces good numbers of elk each year. That gmu line helps tighten my focus and also there is a single lane highway with private properties that looks to seal off the lower portion, so it kind of defines this section. This unit has lower hunter numbers and harvest numbers because of the private property and size of public hunting the surrounding units have good harvest numbers, but also a lot more hunters. I've gotten permission to access at the lowest point of the drainage and would be coming in on the different GMU and entering in the timber to begin my hunt. It's a enter point I stumbled upon tracking a elk a season ago. Last year the upper most gmu line was busy during muzzleloader season and there were some people camping up there.

I have never really been taught about thermals and haven't hunted long enough to really be true to wind direction but have had success so apparently in those situation as I remember the wind was directly in my face. As I'm getting more excited about the up coming season I want to be able to give myself the best opportunity so I will be remembering to use it to my advantage. Also I have been on google earth and your feedback has helped me to look closer for the areas on the hillsides that may level off and be potential spots to cross through working my way up.

ok if you all are still reading I have another question it's about calling and since I've never been taught other than the CD that came with my tube, mouth diaphragm, and cow squeeze call. What would you recommend to work with since the season is coming up quick. What should I focus on if anything. The first year I didn't have a call and last year I didn't use mine because I wasn't educated enough to understand why, when, and also how. I have been practicing and can make each work however I may need a new mouth diaphragm because I don't have a clue how to make it sound like a cow... bugling bull yes but could be better.

Thanks again for you time!
jwhite22

Postby otcWill » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I actually do a lot of side hilling it once I've climbed into an area. The elk are coming straight up with the wind directly in their face so I don't want to be directly above them. We like to get above them and move cross wind over to them without ever letting them get directly downwind. This has been almost the only way to get to them in certain areas we hunt at/above timberline.
otcWill

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 28, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Since familiar with the area & the elks movement why not just ambush them at a strategic passage such as bench or trail they use as they move away from the pressure towards bedding areas. Keep it simple but effective! Knowing the area well & the elks movement gives you a huge advantage

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul