Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Dissecting the Encounter in the Blink of an Eye

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Dissecting the Encounter in the Blink of an Eye

Postby Trophyhill » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

In your experience.....is experience the only true way to recognize the encounter for what it is without having to think about it? Having to think about it can be the difference in going back to camp with a memory.
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Re: Dissecting the Encounter in the Blink of an Eye

Postby easeup » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

it sure seems that way.
Bit I continue to read and learn as I go.
easeup

Postby Swede » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Experience is a powerful teacher, but so is the education you can get from different people. Maybe if you trace every thing to its origin, then experience is the foundation for everything we know about hunting and everything hunters are trying to accomplish here. It is not just my experience or yours. I really believe we can all learn from others. I know I have. I think a hunter has come a long way, when they recognize something they have read about, and have one of those "Aha" moments, and understands what to do.
I know it is a struggle for some. It is difficult to get the time in the forest so you can experience elk enough and see all of the things you read about here. What complicates things more is the fact that, very experienced and successful hunters do not exactly agree on everything. Their experiences are somewhat different, and they may approach things a little differently. Values also differ. Experience is a common educator. What I mean by that is, over time it tends to bring people (hunters) closer together in their understanding of things.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Nice post by Swede.. it rings true on many levels. Additionally, I would offer you must know where you are, and, at what time you're there, when the "encounter" occurs so you can make a higher odds for success decision. Experience may be a term used for those who have knocked down a bunch of elk, in various situations, over a long period of time. It can also translate effectively into learned knowledge about elk behavior and exercising some common sense before you react. If you're driving down an interstate and see multiple flashing lights and brake lights 1/2 mile ahead, you surmise immediately that there may be an accident and slow down. Kind of the same with an encounter in the elk woods. You must stop, think, and make a decision on how best to proceed to maximize your odds for success. Elk do not think like we do. They are creatures of habit, physical needs, and very reactionary if the situation is right (or wrong). They bed down, wake up, move to feed/water, and head back to bedding areas. During the rut, they still bed down, wake up, move to feed/water, and head back to bedding areas. During the rut period they're more vocal and certainly more reactionary (particularly the bulls) when confronted in their living room. Back to your original question Trophy. I would say that an awareness and understanding of where you're at (proximity to the herd) and at what time (where they are in their daily ritual and a determination of where they are moving to) makes a hunter, possessing vast experience or not, much better prepared to make the next move and increase their odds. So, I would say that all information known at the time of the encounter (certainly encounter has many meanings) should have already been processed prior to the situation occurring. As we used to say in Uncle Sam's finest, know the terrain you're currently deployed in and react/attack accordingly. Rambling a bit I know. RJ
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I believe sometimes we tend to over think things. In this case, over thing the encounter. Often, in order to do things in the (Blink of an Eye), as this threads title suggest, you have to put yourself on the same level or playing field as the elk.

Remember, elk don't think. They react ! You have to do the same thing. After each encounter you will learn something new and different. And eventually you will find yourself doing things without even thinking about it. This is reaction, not thinking or dissecting. It is natural for people to think things out but I believe the quicker you learn to get into the reaction mode rather than the dissecting or thinking mode, the better off you will be.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ctdad » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

There was an elk hunting show on the outdoor channel last night. I found myself studying the calls the elk and the hunters were making, the way the elk reacted and I even recognized a couple things that could have been done better. I'm sure you've all done the same thing.

When I read stories or scenarios on here, I put myself in the moment and ask myself, what should I do right now?

I only get a few days a year in the mountains physically, but I do feel like I get a lot of experience mentally on this website.

Of course, I am constantly dissecting my near misses from hunts of years past.
ctdad

Postby ElkNut1 » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Evaluating past encounters & wanting to know what went wrong or right & why is how we all learn! Dissecting or understanding specific situations can certainly up ones odds on the first sound we've heard from elk as to what is best for us to do next? In my experience herd bulls require the quickest decisions on how we need to react & how fast. Satellite bulls not so much. We find it advantageous to get on herd bulls pronto especially if they are right in the feeding or bedding areas. If they are in transition between the two then we prefer dogging the herd silently until their destination is reached. It's right there that your decision making on what to do next is crucial!! Not all encounters are the same so the decision we search for is the one that will provide us with the best odds of a close encounter with the desired bull. Aggressive bugling bulls can be treated with extreme aggressive action, non vocal herd bulls or ones that bugle sparingly must be treated differently, playing on their curiosity is best for these bulls!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul