Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What Did You Just Say to Me? Episode 2.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What Did You Just Say to Me? Episode 2.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

As you're making your way up an old pack trail that runs along the sidehill of a huge timbered basin, you decide to throw out a few soft cow mews to see if anybody is interested in chatting with you on this fine 20 September morning. You're approaching a benched area that has a few small meadows and at present time, you're about 1/4 of the way up the sidehill from the bottom on this ascending trail. You set your partner up just below the trail and climb the sidehill about 25 yards, knock an arrow, and throw out some soft cow mews and calf chirps.

The formerly quiet hillside now seems to come alive. Below the trail, 100 yards or so farther up the draw, you hear a locater bugle w/chuckles. Immediatley after bull #1 makes his presence known, you hear some hard hitting grunts followed by a nasty challenge bugle above the trail from bull #2, farther up the draw perhaps 200 yards. As you make eye contact with your partner below the trail, he gives you hand signs that he sees three or more cows above the trail close to where bull #2 bellowed.

What could these fellas be talking about? After taking a stab at deciphering what these sounds may mean in the situation given, what are your options/plan to get a shot at one of the bulls?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: What Did You Just Say to Me? Episode 2.

Postby >>>---WW----> » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Short answer: Bull #1 is trying to call you to him. Bull #2 is telling bull #1 to back off and either get the heck out of there or get his butt kicked.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Swede » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Wind permitting, I like the idea of you and your partner moving close to where the cows were, and from there you inform Mr. Bull #2 that you really are a dirty rotten cow stealing menace. You let him know you have his sweetest cow and are not giving her back. In fact you are in the process of leaving with her. At the same time as you leave, your buddy stays back to deal with him, just in case Mr. Bull #2 doesn't like it. I am mostly a meat hunter so if Bull #1 gets too curious, you or your friend could invite him to return to camp with you for dinner.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby foxvalley » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

At this point,I'm very concerned about the thermals. If they arn't going up already, they will be as soon as the sun tops the mtns. If the thermals are going up now,in about 5 seconds it might get very quiet with the big boy and his girls. If the thermals are going up,but following the trail,I would get up there to get in better position as to not get winded.The herd bull is more than likely heading to the bedding erea,and as Paul mentioned,dog the herd to the bedding erea,and then try to make the best choice on how to kill him there.
Plan B. The herd bull did indeed catch your stink, and is now gone.Even though the thermals are going up, the sattalite is still below the trail,and chances are hasn't winded you. If there are any cows in heat, or soon to come in heat from the herd that just left,he will more than likely follow them to the bedding erea,and spend all day trying to steal a hot cow.Since you buddy just hawked a couple cows,I would get up above that exact spot,It smells sooooo sweet here, and maybe do a couple pleads,or even a lost calf......moma,moma, moma!!!
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby easeup » 01 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

this has never happened to me yet. but it sounds like a great place to be . #1 may or may not have some cows but I see it from the point that they both have a few and do not want to lose them.
what to do?
I dont have cell service; so there goes the call a friend choice. If I see cows, I cant move for risk of being seen and killing the show for everyone. the wind is everything first. I would assume it is moving uphill but the story line did not say.
another cow call might bring in #1 to either of the shooter positions. I play that first. If #1 bugles again and is closer to the girls, I might get a play on #2 by being in the right place being still. ( any time I bugle at a bull that I know has cows, I run the risk of moving him away as he rounds up his cows).
easeup

Postby elkmtngear » 01 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Short answer: Bull #1 is trying to call you to him. Bull #2 is telling bull #1 to back off and either get the heck out of there or get his butt kicked.

Yup, I think Bill pretty much lays out the dialogue here. You've got a herd bull and a satellite, and I am really liking this situation. The satellite will dog the herd, and it is a good possibility he could be bushwacked by softly cow calling him with your shooter out front.

Or you could go after the herd bull and attempt to get between him and some of his cows, and then get aggressive with him as Swede laid out. Might be the best option, since even if the herd bull decides to round up his cows and move, you still have the option of killing the satellite if you continue to make sweet cow noises.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor