Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Scouting in July

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Scouting in July

Postby Ghost » 06 27, 2016 •  [Post 1]

As luck would have it, we are actually going to get a chance to do a backpacking trip into the area we are going to archery hunt. While Im totally pumped to be able to actually get a chance to look at an area before I start hunting it, Im really not sure what to look for at this time of year? Wallows/water seem like a gimmies, anything else? Ive already scoured over the place up one side and down the other to locate elky looking areas off the beaten path.
Ghost

First Name: Cort
Last Name: A

Re: Scouting in July

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2016 •  [Post 2]

I am heading out July 11 on my scouting trip. I look for wallows and springs. I like well used trails and rubs too. I am familiar with the country, but will get to see some more of it and I rate different areas. I place them on a 1 to 5 scale and take notes and pictures. I will probably scout four days which go by quickly. If you have a large area four days is just a start.
Good luck on your trip. Let use know what you find of interest when you get back.
As a tree stand hunter I focus on precise tree stand locations after I find a good spot to watch.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 27, 2016 •  [Post 3]

I have time to scout in the summer. So I do. Bachlor groups are in different places some times where elk are not found in the fall.

Get to know the ground. Im currentrly trying to learn the thermals and winds where we will be hunting next September.
Find the water, the thick stuff, the cool places all those old rubs. You may not be looking for a lot of game. but getting to know the country
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Swede » 06 27, 2016 •  [Post 4]

Another thing came to mind as I was still thinking about this scouting question. A lot of people look for elk. I would rather not disturb them. If I happen to see some, I enjoy the sight, but I don't go after them. If elk are around, the sign will all be there. In the high country where they reside in September, you can see rubs and wallows. If you need more information a trail camera at a well used spring or wallow is a good tool. Some hunters like to check bedding areas, but I can see them on Google Earth and skirt them for the most part. In July, the area has a lot of time to return to normal, so disturbing elk is not a big deal, but I minimize it. Some areas are more sensitive than others.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 28, 2016 •  [Post 5]

A few things I will be looking for in a new area will be how high can I find water sources. At what elevation are seeps tending to come out of the mountain side? Some mountain ranges will have the same general elevation where this happens. You can find soggy marsh areas that may turn into wallows later in the year. This can also help you decide where to put camp.
Look into snotel and see what the precipitation has been this year. Two extremes I have noticed is that some elk will stay down in lower elevations, private land. And others will move up to or above tree line. This can play into the precipitation and where the snow line was when they were giving birth. If I can find elk up high, I dont think they will move that far come early September.
Figure out the trailheads and trail systems. Find a spot you wouldn't normally park at and hike in from that location. Try to find a way in and out of a hunting area that others wont use. Once hunting season comes, you can bet all that information you discovered could be 'lost'. Adjust to the hunting pressure and hunt adjacent areas to where you have seen elk. Everything else can be places you find old elk sign.
This is a little bit of my plan for late July scouting
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Lefty » 06 29, 2016 •  [Post 6]

BrentLaBere wrote:,..... Try to find a way in and out of a hunting area that others wont use. Once hunting season comes,,.......

Brent that statement sounds like something a trapper would say,.. Are or did you trap?
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 30, 2016 •  [Post 7]

Lefty wrote:
BrentLaBere wrote:,..... Try to find a way in and out of a hunting area that others wont use. Once hunting season comes,,.......

Brent that statement sounds like something a trapper would say,.. Are or did you trap?

Nope, tried it once and wasnt very good at it. haha
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Ghost » 07 01, 2016 •  [Post 8]

Great info, thank you!!
Ghost

Postby welka » 07 02, 2016 •  [Post 9]

Talk to a local warden or biologist, park ranger, etc and find out how much pressure you should expect during archery. If even medium, focus your scouting on how to get away from where the other hunters are "likely" to go. Find the drainage behind the 1st drainage or water way up high at least 2 miles back, etc. Think of where the pressure might push them and look for spots to hunt in these areas. May feel weird because you likely won't see much sign in these areas now, but at least have a couple spots for back up in case the elk get pushed. Good luck.
welka

Postby NorthIDTLH » 07 03, 2016 •  [Post 10]

All helpful information. Good thread. I'm also headed out scouting for a few days with my son this week. All of these comments make good sense and are appreciated by those of us always looking to learn more from guys who know more!

I do have one question though.

Even though it's July, would bugling at night tell me if there are any elk in the area or does this just educate the elk?...or possibly call in wolves...
NorthIDTLH

Postby Ghost » 07 03, 2016 •  [Post 11]

Hmmm good question!
Ghost

Postby Elkhunttoo » 07 04, 2016 •  [Post 12]

I don't think bugling at this time of year will help you at all with finding elk in the area... As bad as we all want it to be here, it's just not that time of year yet. Jmo

Although when I first started to learn to call I went to the hills (not where I hunt) and called away. I wanted to hear the sounds in the woods and not just in the house.
Elkhunttoo

Postby Wapiti » 07 04, 2016 •  [Post 13]

I agree with what Lefty said........Look for old rubs from last year. Those elk and other elk will return to the same spots over and over.

As for bugling at night in July I believe you will be wasting your time as the elk will not answer back. Even during September we are lucky to get replies on some nights. Some nights is all quiet even during the September rut !! But hey give it a shot if you like. Maybe an elk will feel like talking and you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Good luck and enjoy.

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea