Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Wallow Or Waterhole?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Wallow Or Waterhole?

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Which is this? Look over carefully, then respond, please!

ElkNut1
Attachments
9-27-10 - 11.jpg
9-27-10 - 11.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 9299 times
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Re: Wallow Or Waterhole?

Postby eltaco » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Since the mud is lying over the grass, I'll say wallow.

Although I'm curious, can't a waterhole be a wallow, or a wallow be a watering hole?

Maybe this is a chicken and egg question...

Side Note: Did you get my PM today? I sent a few out and not sure they're going thru...?
eltaco

Postby planebow » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I would say it is a well used water hole
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Freebird134 » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I'm curious: functionally as a hunter, what does it matter if it's a well-used wallow or a well-used waterhole? How would it affect the way you hunt? it seems to me it doesn't really matter--either way it is a sign of lots of elk use. Am I wrong? Veterans.....how would you change your tactic based on determining its an important wallow or an important water hole?
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby stringunner » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I would say wallow as there are a few foot impressions (seems like there would be more hoof sign if it was a water hole) around but mostly what looks to be slung mud and smoothed over (from rolling around) mud. But I have been wrong before so I'm awaiting the answer! :-)
stringunner

Postby Swede » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I am not too good at these pictures, but I would say it is a water hole. The mud that is out of the water was carried there by the elk's hoves. It has been over a week since the elk have been there. There is a difference between water holes and wallows. The water holes usually are used much more as all elk need to drink. Wallows get used more sporadically even at peak use, which tapers off after about September 10.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby DominicV » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I got to say wallow.
DominicV

First Name: Dominic
Last Name: Valloni

Postby elkohalic » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 8]

looks like both to me !
Although I don't see anywhere that they have laid in the mud
elkohalic

First Name: Chris
Last Name: Hoskins

Postby SBH » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I'm going with Wallow
SBH

Postby easeup » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 10]

I see splashed and pawed out mud and I do not see where a bull has rolled or thrashed with the ivory......so I am thinking one of these days it will turn into a wallow...haha
easeup

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 11]

What is it? ----- It's an old wallow! -- Take a look at a good clue, the date on the photo! It's Sept. 27th, that wallow had not been used as swede mentioned for 7-10 days minimum! There is not even a remotely fresh track to be seen there! Everything is old & the grass where stepped on & is dying despite the fact there's plenty of water there! You can see where mud & grasses & roots are dug up & tossed all around this wallow where bulls had trashed it with their antlers, it's way beyond just elk walking around it as if it was exclusively a waterhole! If it were a waterhole use of it could have easily continued, this wallow was miles back in with little to no hunting pressure. Yes, elk can wallow in waterholes as well as elk can drink out of wallows, but what is the dominant use in this photo, it's a water source used by bulls! Cows can accompany bulls at these spots but it's the bulls that bring them there or the cows can tag along!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby elkaholic » 07 09, 2012 •  [Post 12]

Im going with a wallow. Looks like the mud has thrown around from the thrashing and rolling of elk..
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Swede » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Paul, I know I am guessing when I look at the picture. I can't tell if the dark area at the near center is a wallow spot or a reflection of the sky between the clouds. I can't be sure if the light area is a reflection of some clouds or if it is lighter stirred up mud. The picture was taken late September, but there appears to be a lone set of tracks more recent than the others.
Swede

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Dad-burn-it Paul. You answered before I got a chance to respond. Yes, it (WAS) a wallow. I know pictures can be deceiving but I see no fresh tracks and the water is clear, or at least it looks to be. On the near edge, it looks like an elk may have wallowed in it at some time but not recently. Notice how it is matted down on the near edge.

So my answer would be that it was a wallow at one time. But at the present time it is neither a wallow nor a waterhole.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Swede, I agree, photos are tough to judge details at times, I too am fooled! But they are still great learning assets.

WW, sorry bud, I got antsy!! (grin)

ElKNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby Swede » 07 10, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Elknut1: I agree they are a great place to start. It is the difficult ones that we need to study and learn from. Give us some more. I think I am 0 for 2. now. LOL I think I will go ahead and take in an additional scouting tip late next week. Maybe I can find one of my own. The Oregon wallows are not as weird as those in Idaho. ;)
Swede