Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

wallows 2

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

wallows 2

Postby bnsafe » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

ok, so i learned elk use wallows alot earlier than i thought and for different reasons than i thought. and i learned they use the same area yearly, im assuming basically the same wallow. so heres my question, when do elk start making wallows.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: wallows 2

Postby otcWill » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I havn't seen much wallow activity until last week in August-mid Sept. Last year they didn't wallow in my area until about Sept. 15 and continued wallowing through early Oct. Watched a bull wallow in Wyoming this year on October 22. That was the latest I've witnessed. They will sometimes abandon wallows that got torn up the previous year so be careful finding old wallows and banking your season on 'em
otcWill

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Well: Elk don't always use the same wallow. Some wet areas are just good wallows and get used. Sometimes an elk that uses a wallow has a problem getting back. That is because he got shot or eaten. Well that great looking wallow may not get used again that year. Some wallows get used once, then never again, at least not to my knowledge. I have seen many of these single use wallows. Who knows why an elk starts a wallow in some areas, and who know why they don't return. Sometimes they pick a wet muddy spot that is obvious, but sometimes it isn't. I have dug out water holes that were soon turned into a wallow. Some bull took a liking to it. I am not a fanatic about wallows, but I like a well used water hole that elk wallow at or near also. I do not want to pick on anyone, but be careful when you talk wallows. A lot of hunters don't know the difference between a wallow and a water hole. Generally elk start and use wallows in late August through early to mid September. Sometimes they get used later.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby JGH » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Does anyone else make a habit of recording wallow locations, either on a map or GPS?

I always pull out the GPS and mark them ... eventually transfer to a paper map.

That way, I can know when I'm in the vicinity of a wallow that I've visited in the past, or I can "go-to" a wallow from a different direction.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby elkmtngear » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

JGH wrote:Does anyone else make a habit of recording wallow locations, either on a map or GPS?

I always pull out the GPS and mark them ... eventually transfer to a paper map.

That way, I can know when I'm in the vicinity of a wallow that I've visited in the past, or I can "go-to" a wallow from a different direction.

I had about 5 years of that great info in my Garmin Rino.....and I lost it this year while deer hunting!

Fortunately, I still have enough gray matter left to find some of the good wallows again....I think! :?
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Swede » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I don't keep many on my GPS. It is just a coincidence if they are there, as they are a part of a location I am using or planning to use. The trails, the water, and the proximity to their bedding area matter more to me. For what it is worth, I would just as soon wait at a rub tree as a wallow, if it was not for the other items I mention. I find most rub trees in bedding areas and along trails that elk frequent, so a person could wait there.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I mark wallows on my gps.
To me, wallows are part of the elk equation, no different than bedding areas, feeding areas, trails and rubs are.
I mark them so I know when Im getting close to them. If the timing and ingredients are right, I will make a soft call when I get into the vicinity.
Many times there are elk near and come in to check me out. No different than feeding areas, bedding areas.
Other times when I get close to wallow, I will listen for grunting, splashing, antlers clacking or any other 'elky' noises.

I am going to hunt a particular wallow with a tree stand this fall tho. And I cant wait...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

wallows 2

Postby Herb » 04 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Most of my "milk runs" have plenty of wallows along the way, hundreds of them saved on the GPS.
Herb

Location: The Corner of Nebraska that is Too Far from Colorado
First Name: S
Last Name: Herb