Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk Habitat and the tree Stand Hunter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk Habitat and the tree Stand Hunter

Postby Swede » 03 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

For my tree stand hunting I prefer to locate at water holes in semi arid areas, but wetter denser forests will work. What I always want, is to find a place where I can predict, with reasonable certainty, that a mature elk will come by within shooting distance. I average about 10 days hunting per elk kill. What I am wondering is, what other habitat types do hunters use for their tree stand locations, and how many days would you expect it to take to get an elk?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Re: Elk Habitat and the tree Stand Hunter

Postby cnelk » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I approach my tree stand locations based on intel I have gathered for a period of a couple years.
I base my elk spots on where I have had encounters with elk. And if there is a tree that would work for a stand, all the better!
In places that could be a good tree stand location, are also places that are just places to hunt from the ground.
But being up above the animals gives a better advantage to the hunter.

How many days? Not sure about that one. I have seen elk the first time in a new stand location.
But seeing and shooting are two different things :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby easeup » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 3]

in all my years chasing this grand stag, never has there been an oppurtunity to draw on one from a stand or blind.
so what good am I to you?
easeup

Postby wideangle » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 4]

We set up trail cams to check activity around water holes in wooded areas.
It is interesting to us that some water holes are so much more active than others even though they are closer to a well used road.
The wind is crucial to hunting these stands. We do not bugle once in the treestand.
Also we tend not to be trophy hunters. A mature cow is no push over.
Some hunters in the unit we hunt have started using slings to hunt. They are lighter and very mobile.
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby wideangle » 03 28, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Here is a link to a very popular tree saddle in the Mid-West.

treesaddle.jpg
treesaddle.jpg (83.95 KiB) Viewed 5177 times

http://www.deer-john.net/pages/treesaddle.html
wideangle

First Name: Joseph

Postby Swede » 03 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I know it can be difficult when you start out as a tree stand hunter. I remember my first attempt. I set up at a water hole, where I had seen elk earlier. I thought that should be a good spot. I realized later, after placing my stand, and spending time there, that it had been at least two weeks since an elk had seen the place. I knew I was wasting my time. What I am trying to see is what hunters look for. If we are looking for different things, how successful are you at what you are doing? Maybe we are all doing the same things, but I doubt it? I read posts that talk about tree stand focusing on wallows. Does a freshly used wallow mean you should look for a tree to hang your stand? If that is not enough, what else is needed?
Hopefully we get enough information together here that any newby can know what to look for, if they are interested in trying a tree stand.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 03 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

i grew up in a whitetail stand, but we could drive to the tree and hang em. not sure im in for carrying one in out here. but i will say if i can find a place close to a camp spot i will have a stand with me.
i think i found 2 places last year, one for sure that would produce. one has 3 awesome trails converging in one spot at a natural funnel just like deer hunting. the sign was incredible (i realize they may be in a different state this year). the problem is its about 3 miles in and you cant camp there. ive thougth about carrying a climber in and leaving it for the season.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott