Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

What do you do when you hear elk?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

What do you do when you hear elk?

Postby Lonnie » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 1]

One of my first lessons was to wait on a second sound before you move. The first sound might be that they are moving away from you and you don't want to hike up a big hill to find no elk and spend all that energy.

So let's hear it. Don't be afraid to put the different senarios in for the different sounds that elk make.
Lonnie

Re: What do you do when you hear elk?

Postby Swede » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I reach over and take my bow off the tree hanger and wait. I start looking in the direction the sound came from. Sometimes the elk come right quite soon. Sometimes I wait and put the bow back on the hanger and wait longer. I have waited for over an hour before they showed up. Sometimes they never show especially if I called back.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby saddlesore » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 3]

If I hear two bulls squawinkg at each other,I try to move so that I am midway between them,but off a ways.Sort of like a triangle. The I try to sound like a lesser bull, but moving in a bit a little at a time. No threat at all, but more like being curious as to what is going on. Most times the two bulls will get more aggressive and really start at each other , ignoring me ,giving me a chance to get set up for a shot.
If I hear them moving thru the timber chirping, talking to each other ,I would probably be looking to shoot a cow,so I do some calf calls,some whines and chirps.If I do it right and they don't wind me, a few will gradually work my way to check me out
saddlesore
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 4]

I run the other way. They're scary ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Wapiti » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Some times I pee a little !!

Other times I fist pump and say to myself...........YES there still here !!

Then I'll give them time to sound off again and form a strategy. Basically same idea as Lonnie !!

Trav
Wapiti River Outdoors
780-876-6170
http://www.wapitiriveroutdoors.com
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Postby Kentrek » 07 31, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I usually adjust my plans....

I have no problem following elk moving away from me as they usually always slow down eventually if I do my part

Don't think about that hill and it won't be an issue you g up it :D
Kentrek

Postby ishy » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 7]

Which way is the wind blowing, and what time is it?
ishy

First Name: Bryan
Last Name: L

Postby tvbrewster » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Get the wind right and close the distance between me and the elk.
tvbrewster

Postby lamrith » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Smile ear to ear.
'15 Elite E35. 30.5", 67#
100Gr. G5 montecs
Sportsman's Vital Impact 300spine

http://www.pelletpeddler.com
lamrith

First Name: Larry

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 10]

It depends. Depends on the time of day, where I feel the bull physically is or going to, what the bugle sounds like (is it merely a location bugle, or an advertising bugle, or, is there challenging/warning going on that makes me feel there may be multiple bulls and perhaps a hot cow present) I may pursue, if, I'm not already on the way to another vocal or located bull, etc. If I'm not on a pre-planned collision course towards known or vocal elk, and, the bull I hear in the distance sounds like he wants to play, I'll plan either a direct course to him (if I feel he is at a spot he may be for a bit), or, plan an intercept course where I feel he may be moving to if in fact, he's not static. Of course, the thermals/wind come into max play anytime you're moving towards, or, working an intercept course for a vocal bull. This more times than not, requires an impeccable knowledge of the area you're hunting to maximize effectiveness of the movement/intercept plan (terrain, known game trails, likely spots he may be actually standing or heading to, etc.). So yes sir, it depends ;).
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 11]

I know what RJ and Lamrith do when they hear an elk bugle. They do an imitation Indian war dance in a little circle, then the next morning they bee line it out to where the elk was, and do a forensic investigation. :roll:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Roosiebull » 08 01, 2017 •  [Post 12]

Of course there are many variables...

Normal situation, when I hear elk, I will stop and listen for a bit if they aren't really close, my hope is to establish direction and set up an ambush.

Often times I will hear them where I cannot make a direct play on them, then it's decision making time. Do I stay close enough to hear them even though I have no clear path to hunt them? Or do I get out of ear shot to improve my situation and have confidence I know where they are headed?

It would depend on the area, and how well I know it, and what I'm hearing.

I don't call very much, but these types of scenarios is when I do, if I don't have a solid plan to ambush, and I know where the elk are, I may decide to call. This is the situation that I like calling more than sneaking in on them, or at least where I think they are going.

Hearing elk while elk hunting is a fairly common event, each situation is different, and there is always a degree of improvise. I have a few tactics I use, and the situation dictates my favorable approach. If I pick the wrong approach, I learn something. Every encounter is awesome
Roosiebull

Postby Tigger » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 13]

I bust over to them as fast as I can. I know the risk of them moving away, but I will take that risk. usually, if they are moving and bugling, I wont have spent much effort before I hear the second bugle. Then, when I get to where he is, I shoot him! Well, maybe I glossed over a few details, but that is the plan.
Tigger

Postby Elkhunttoo » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 14]

lamrith wrote:Smile ear to ear.

Amen!!!!
Elkhunttoo

Postby twinkieman » 08 02, 2017 •  [Post 15]

I keep listening, make sure the wind is right, depending on what the bull said, make a determination, herd bull, or satellite. what I do next depends on which he is. I would be moving in towards where I heard him bugle, with my eyes scanning as I moved in.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby TimeOnTarget » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 16]

twinkieman wrote:I keep listening, make sure the wind is right, depending on what the bull said, make a determination, herd bull, or satellite. what I do next depends on which he is. I would be moving in towards where I heard him bugle, with my eyes scanning as I moved in.

Whats the dead give away that its a herd bull vs satellite? How do you approach the 2 differently?
TimeOnTarget

Postby twinkieman » 08 03, 2017 •  [Post 17]

What he says, is he talking to his cows?, telling other bulls to stay away? A raghorn controlling cows is a herd bull, at least as long as he has cows. A satellite, most likely has no cows, the bugling he's doing, maybe advertising, or location bugles. I'm going to give this bull what he is looking for, I'm starting with cow calls. A herd bull I'm going to handle differently, there will be a bull call of some sort, if I'm trying to call him in. There are many different sequences I might use, Threats, lipbawl bugling, Breeding sequence, but a herd bull, is not going to hear only cow calls from me. I've had good success calling satellites greater distances, a herd bull, I'm getting inside of his comfort zone before I call. What he is saying, is what I base my decision on. Am I right every time, lol, no way, but that will never stop me from trying! :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Stick » 08 05, 2017 •  [Post 18]

Jump up and down...thrash a tree....generally go nuts!!
Not all who wander are lost!
Stick

Postby Lonnie » 08 08, 2017 •  [Post 19]

So this is a good question do you call it a display bugel are bull calling to cows. Growl following a fast up scall bugle, ending in a growl with chuckle. What do you guys think it means.
Lonnie

Postby Lonnie » 08 16, 2017 •  [Post 20]

So when you guys hear the elk how do you know its not another hunter. What tips you off.
Lonnie

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 16, 2017 •  [Post 21]

TimeOnTarget, Bulls with a Hot Cow are defensive towards other bulls! No hot cow no defensive action!

Just because a bull has cows does not mean you can get aggressive with him, a hot cow must be present in some form. This is why hunters who get aggressive with all bulls looses so many encounters! Evaluate the situation & adapt to it, you will have way more close encounters!

ElkNut/Paul
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul