Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Judging distance of a bugle

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Judging distance of a bugle

Postby chipick » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 1]

I don't know maybe it's just me or the area we hunt but I can't seem to be able to judge the distance, or good location of elk by there bugles worth a dam, my hunting partner on the other hand can. I do have a little bit of hearing loss, but not as much as my hunting partner dose, is there anyone else who has these same issues? Do I just need to listen better, focus better I don't know
chipick

Re: Judging distance of a bugle

Postby Lefty » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 2]

I havent really had lots of experience, but I have been able to identify the location accurately.
However cows and calves I often guess short the herd had been further than I guessed.
I have unbalanced hearing loss, with bulls it has been right on,
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Heartwood » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 3]

When we are location bugling we always have the non caller stand a short distance from the bugler. This makes it much easier to get a good fix on a bull without the bugle ringing in your ears. We then compare where we think the bull is. If we agree then we move in on the bull. Always good to have two opinions.
Heartwood

First Name: Matt
Last Name: Houle

Postby Sask hunter » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 4]

Heartwood wrote:When we are location bugling we always have the non caller stand a short distance from the bugler. This makes it much easier to get a good fix on a bull without the bugle ringing in your ears. We then compare where we think the bull is. If we agree then we move in on the bull. Always good to have two opinions.

That's a good idea I really like that.

Last fall we were goose hunting next to a farm yard with some elk in it. The yard was about half mile away up wind but it wasn't real windy. I could barely hear the bugles. That's ok the open prariea so I would imagine other places could be even shorter hearing distance
Sask hunter

Postby chipick » 07 16, 2017 •  [Post 5]

Honestly I've started to think that elk are quieter in different places, a few years ago we herd a bugle and thought it was a along way out but we were in reprod with a large hill 75'+- up in the direction of said bugle and the bull was 10yds out behind some vine maple, same year heard one in a clear cut 200+ yds out sounded about the same to me loudness wise, my hunting partner says he never heard it but we were looking at the heard
chipick

Postby Swede » 07 19, 2017 •  [Post 6]

I have seen experienced hunters get badly fooled on the distance to an elk. Sometimes you can figure it out, but not always. Vegetation, terrain and the elk itself can make a person look foolish. I would not worry about it. If your friend says he can tell the distance, but you are not sure, I would bet he can't be sure either. Like I said, I have seen experienced hunters get badly fooled. In addition you can get fooled on the direction to the elk. Hearing a bull bugle several times does not always help enough to make a difference.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby BrentLaBere » 07 20, 2017 •  [Post 7]

It can be really tough to tell at times. Crisp calm days you can hear a bugle from a long ways out if they arent in the timber. When the wind picks up, all bets are off. Especially if you're in the timber. I was glassing a younger bull bugling a couple hundred yards away, maybe 300, and it looked like he was giving it all he had. I didnt hear a peep. To pick up on direction and distance can be difficult. The best way for me to tell is knowing the area I am hunting. It has given me a better idea of where the elk are or going to be. Also the direction they are heading. Only touching on the subject in a round a bout way but having this knowledge helps me pinpoint where they might be. I have also heard elk that dont bugle as loud as they could making it seem like they are farther away. One thing that does help a bit, when you can hear the details in the bugle. Different pitch and tone in the bugle means hes closer. Might help
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby Swede » 07 20, 2017 •  [Post 8]

Shortly before the season opened, I was out trying to locate a bull one evening, but had received no response. I was alone along an open road until two guys came up and started talking to me. I decided to have a little fun with them. I had a borrowed Fox Pro call set just up about 80 feet away just on the side of the road. It was sitting under a bush. After a few minutes of low conversation, I pressed the elk bugle button on the call. Instantly we heard the Fox Pro bull. I looked around but never said a word. The bull bugled a few more times then went silent. Those two guys that had driven up were not only convinced they had heard a bull elk bugle, but were telling me where it was located. They were clueless. They believed what they wanted, and what fit their expectation. They were as serious as could be, but totally mistaken.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby stringunner » 07 20, 2017 •  [Post 9]

Swede wrote:Shortly before the season opened, I was out trying to locate a bull one evening, but had received no response. I was alone along an open road until two guys came up and started talking to me. I decided to have a little fun with them. I had a borrowed Fox Pro call set just up about 80 feet away just on the side of the road. It was sitting under a bush. After a few minutes of low conversation, I pressed the elk bugle button on the call. Instantly we heard the Fox Pro bull. I looked around but never said a word. The bull bugled a few more times then went silent. Those two guys that had driven up were not only convinced they had heard a bull elk bugle, but were telling me where it was located. They were clueless. They believed what they wanted, and what fit their expectation. They were as serious as could be, but totally mistaken.

Now that's a funny story. Sounds like a fun camp trick. 8-)

I have done it before in college, hid a fox pro under my RA's bed, about 2:30 am i let it go full power with a dieing jack rabbit call, I heard him casting out demons all the rest of the night. He couldn't wait to get to chapel the next morning to tell our pastor about his encounter. I have never laughed so hard.
stringunner