Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Stubborn bulls that won't commit?!?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Stubborn bulls that won't commit?!?

Postby Brandoncarhart » 09 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

So as I am enjoying my time in the early stages of archery season, I find my self broken hearted by the lack of commitment coming from my dreams of dropping a bull elk. I am looking for tips in making a bull commit, I can and have gotten several bulls into the -100 yrs range but it seems like as soon as they get there i loose their interest. Is there someone out there that can give me a pointer on different tactics to use? Thank you
Brandoncarhart

First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Carhart

Re: Stubborn bulls that won't commit?!?

Postby Sneez_98 » 09 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If you are hunting with a caller, have the caller start moving backwards and have him keep calling, it portrays that the cow is going the opposite direction, and the bull might commit. I've used this tactic successfully several times.
Sneez_98

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Sneesby

Postby cnelk » 09 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

If you can call or set up on a small bump ridge, cast your calls to the downwind / opposite side and make the bull search.
He will typically come to the edge where he can see over.

Good Luck
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Buglemaster » 09 09, 2013 •  [Post 4]

The addition of a decoy has helped us close the deal on more than one occasion . When he gets to the point that he feels he should see another elk, show him one.They are so keen on pinpointing where the call is coming from, even from a distance, that sometimes a visual is all it takes to get him to commit . It's elk hunting. If it was just elk killing it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby Buglemaster » 09 09, 2013 •  [Post 5]

By the way, welcome to the forum Brandon. A lot of great guys & gals around this campfire
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby llewokj » 09 09, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I interacted/called back and forth with 2 bulls last week in Colorado. One stood at 70yds and grunted at me but wouldn't move out of the dense aspens he was in. The other was about 50yds away but I couldn't see him and when I tried to go up and around him he walked off into the timber.

Oh well! I go back in two weeks to try again for a couple of days. Hopefully they will be more 'engaged'.
llewokj

First Name: Jeff
Last Name: Kowell

Postby easeup » 09 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

yes sir they were waiting for the cue and found it not.
if you cant close the distance and move in....try raking a limb and making a ruckus.
easeup

Postby JJ Overkill » 09 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Im interested in what the terrain was like? Was it fairly open or dark timber? I prefer not to call in the open where an elk can pin point my calling and expect to see other elk. Did the bull have cows? Do you think he was a herd bull? If he was a herd bull he probably wouldnt stray to far from his cow. Thats where you need to slip in closer on him. Then present yourself as a threat. If it wasnt a herd bull but still grunted at you, i would have grunted back, did some racking, stomping if cover permitted. It all depends on the types of sounds you used to get the initial responce.?.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby KMT » 09 10, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I agree with the posts above. Sometimes a bull just won't come in though. A lot of things have to go just right for an actual GOOD shot opportunity to present itself. That means finding a lot of elk. Eventually you run into a bull that makes a mistake.
KMT

First Name: Ken
Last Name: T

Postby Trophyhill » 09 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

If the bulls are stubborn and won't commit then you need to commit and move in tight by any means possible. Then kill him!
Trophyhill

First Name: David
Last Name: B

Postby Brandoncarhart » 09 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Wow, great ideas guys thanks for the response, I would defiantly say the bulls I have been after are not heard bulls. The largest bull probably scores around 340. This is all good info, some ive heard before, which is a great reassurance that I am doing something right. Thanks so much
Brandoncarhart

First Name: Brandon
Last Name: Carhart

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I agree with many of the responses. Weather it be pushing in or dropping back, you need to force something to happen. But, make sure to SELL it to the bull by using ground noise and well placed calls. Remember the saying from the Karate Kid, "Walk on right side of the road safe, walk on the left side of the road safe, walk in the center of the road squished just like grape". When you head into the woods expecting every bull to come all the way in with just simple cow calls, you are walking the center of the road. :-)

A herd bull doesn't have to score in the 360 range to be a herd bull. At times, bulls will drop out of the herd to take a breather. So remember just because he's big doesn't mean he has a herd and just because he's small doesn't mean he's a bachelor.

Just my 2-cents!
JohnFitzgerald