Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Elk calling championship's

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Elk calling championship's

Postby Wapiti » 11 09, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Hey guy's !! Those that have been in any contest's how did you like it and how did you deal with the stress of it ? I just called in the Canadian Qualifier and felt very nervous !! It was very different than calling in an elk that is for sure !!
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

First Name: Travis
Last Name: O'Shea

Re: Elk calling championship's

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 11 09, 2012 •  [Post 2]

So you qualified for the Elk Calling Championship? If you did, congrats!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Wapiti » 11 10, 2012 •  [Post 3]

John !! Thanks for the response. Yes I did qualify !! I was lucky enough to take first place in the Edmonton qualifier which was held at Cabelas. I was very surprised by all the feelings going on. Just meeting the other caller's and talking with fellow hunters was great. Congrats to everyone who calls in these great contest !! It takes guts and it's not for everyone that is for sure !! I think I am hooked now !! I am looking forward the hearing more from all the caller's out there.
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 10, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Congrats Wapiti! So what is the next phase?
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby POk3s » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I want to do it one of these days. Congrats Wapiti!
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Wapiti » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I'll be at the Canadian final's on March 17th 2013 but before that I will be at Elk camp in Las Vegas for the World elk calling championships !! It's going to be super cool this year as they have a new catagory above the professional division. Champion of Champions !! All the past winner's and the current winner of 2013 will compete to see who's the best of the best !!! Should be a great contest !!
Wapiti
Site Sponsor

Postby CrazyElkHunter » 11 11, 2012 •  [Post 7]

It's a lot easier to talk to elk in the woods than it is to try and impress a few judges on a stage in front of a crowd. 2 different nerves. 1 is nervous from stage fright, :shock: the other is nervous from excitement. :o 1 you have a routine of calls for requirements, and the other you adjust your calling to the situation. I love talking to elk and have been very successful for 35 years, but shy away from calling contests due to stage fright.
CrazyElkHunter

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Custer

Postby buglmin » 11 16, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Way back in the late 80's til the mid 90's, we called in a lot of elk calling contests. Some of them were a lot of fun. But I recall the one held in Denver by the RMEF at their big elk camp...we picked numbers and were behind a curtain so the judges couldnt see us...when a certain number was called, someone in the audience would clear their throat, drop their coffee cup hard on the table, or drop silverware on a plate, or sneeze...since that night I havent entered a contest since...lots of local boys and home town favorites win the big contests. I did have the honor of being a judge several times..
When you call, remember to go through all the calls, cows, calves, small bulls, big bulls...mix the calls up.
Use a good grunt tube, like Pauls, to give you that deep heavy sound...I used to use one of Abe Melines tubes that was wrapped in foam, electrical tape and duct tape to do away with that plasticy sound. Good luck and have fun...I lost one contest to a 13 year old kid calling with her voice...man was she hard to follow after her performance.
buglmin

Postby Wapiti » 11 17, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Thank you very much for the heads up!! I hope it's not fixed by joker's in the crowd !! That would be very disheartening for honest people just trying to do well !! I wil have people in the crowd watching and listening for such cheater's !! As i've heard this before from other's about the contest being won before it even starts !! I hope it's not about who paid who off to boost there sales of there own calls !!

Thanks for the advice on using all the calls and about the grunt tube tricks !!

Thanks again !!
Wapiti
Site Sponsor