Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

New Toy... Not Elk Related :)

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

New Toy... Not Elk Related :)

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 04, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Sorry guys... Smite me down if I'm way off base. Been wanting a classic car for as long as I can remember.. Just something to tinker with, replace door moldings, tune, take wifey to dinner (will take more than a few dinners to make up for this), wash/wax till it needs new paint, etc., etc.... in between elk seasons. Have always wanted one and really, was hell bent for a 70 Dodge Challenger... Well, wifey found this one and we went up to look at it today.. Ended up getting it... After a bit of fine tuning, I'll get it in a week or so.... 68 Chevy Chevelle SS, 396.... Will give me something to do in between elk seasons... RJ

pic20.jpg
pic20.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 8114 times
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: New Toy... Not Elk Related :)

Postby Jahnke76 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Very nice. Always wanted a chevelle ss. Maybe someday. But its gonna look funny with an elk tied on the hood.
Jahnke76

Postby pointysticks » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 3]

BEAUTY!!!

i love it.

i'll never forget a mistake i made. my mom's lawyer passed away. my mom was going to buy me his old hotrod. we went to look at it. i remember the shiny silver paint and the two unmistakable black rally stripes. it was under a car cover. i pulled the cover back to reveal a beautiful, cherry, big block EL CAMINO!..

at the time, i hated the el camino and i passed. man, i should have gone for it. we were gonna get it cheap. 1970 car if i remember correctly.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby planebow » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Nice looking 68, I had one many years ago with the 3775 horse 396, sure wish I had it now.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby one_elk » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Good looking car are the rest of you see in the picture yours as well, quite a collection!....
one_elk

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 6]

one_elk wrote:Good looking car are the rest of you see in the picture yours as well, quite a collection!....

Man I wish :) I'm just a poor old retired Army guy (that's still working my post Army retirment job 40 hours per week). The picture was taken at a classic car joint in WA state. Most of the cars there were two or three times the cost of my old 68 Chev project. The body on the 68 is pretty good, the engine is a fairly recent 396 rebuild, and the interior isn't too awfull bad.. Still needs a lot of TLC which is why I chose this car and got it at a decent price. Upon further research (as is the case with many of these old chevy's sporting the SS logo), mine is actually a Chevelle Malibu Sport Coupe with the SS stuff slapped on it.. Kind of suspected it but for the price, it's still a decent deal. The shop is doing a few things I asked them to do so I should finally get it home by the end of this week.. I'm anxious to wake up the neighbors when I take my weekend drives this next summer :)
WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 7]

what transmission is in that car?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 8]

pointysticks wrote:what transmission is in that car?

Turbo 350 with a 2800 stall converter.
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 9]

A few more pics.. Heck, might as well post these as I didn't post any elk pictures this year.

Pic2.jpg
Pic2.jpg (121.64 KiB) Viewed 8086 times

pic16.jpg
pic16.jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 8086 times

PIc3.jpg
PIc3.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 8086 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby Swede » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Well I guess Phantom16's thread could be elk related if he takes his new toy on an hunt. At least he would look good arriving in camp. Beautiful car. I remember when they were new. I could not afford one. :)
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby dotman » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 11]

:shock: :o how we getting that to the trail head, you know that is what I want to be picked up in, she's beautiful! You name her yet?
dotman

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 12]

dotman wrote::shock: :o how we getting that to the trail head, you know that is what I want to be picked up in, she's beautiful! You name her yet?

Not sure if it's a boy or girl car as I haven't driven it much. Mark from the shop called me today and the built 396 is pushing 400 HP and 400 foot lbs of torque so probably a male car, so ultimately, a male name. Yeah Tim, I could drive it to the Spokane airport to pick you up in SEP but I don't think it'll pull the trailer with the steel mules loaded in back so well without heating up. Sorry man, I'll be standing in the Spokane airport with a sign that sais "Dotman... elk, this way" and we'll be jumping into the Tacoma for this one. If you fly into Seattle instead of Spokane I'd pick you up in the Chev :) That's an option to consider. RJ
WapitiTalk1

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 05, 2012 •  [Post 13]

Upon closer scrutiny, I'm relatively sure this car is a bull. It appears he has dropped some scent behind him in the showroom, marking his territory for all the other classic cars to notice. What to name this guy... hmmmm.

pic20.jpg
pic20.jpg (95.59 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
WapitiTalk1

Postby eltaco » 11 06, 2012 •  [Post 14]

I know it seems fitting... but I would suggest not naming him "Red Rod"....

Nice hunting rig, Rory!
eltaco

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 06, 2012 •  [Post 15]

eltaco wrote:I know it seems fitting... but I would suggest not naming him "Red Rod"....

Nice hunting rig, Rory!

I hear ya Jeremy. "Red Rocket" probably wouldn't be the best name either :roll: Way back when I was a single dude, I would use the Chevy for hunting alright.... not for deer or elk though 8-)
WapitiTalk1

Postby Magic » 11 07, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Since your lady actually found it, the name should be complimentary to her.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 12, 2012 •  [Post 17]

Magic wrote:Since your lady actually found it, the name should be complimentary to her.

Sound wisdom Magic. It seems Kim has already starting calling the Chev "Big Red".. I imagine that's what it'll be then.
WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 11 15, 2012 •  [Post 18]

My brother who passed a couple years ago,.. he and his best friend each built their own cars Bills was a Charger, My brother built a 69 GT
I was the only person who ever got to drive it
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby easeup » 11 21, 2012 •  [Post 19]

now how fun is that RJ?
sweet machine!
brings back the some good times just looking at her.....

To this day when I hear that song
I see you standin' there on that lawn
Discount shades, store bought tan
Flip flops and cut-off jeans

Somewhere between that setting sun
I'm on fire and born to run
You looked at me and I was done
And we're, we're just getting started

I was singin' to you, you were singin' to me
I was so alive, never been more free

yes sir; in the day there used to be a 69goat in my garage too
..................Springsteen.....
easeup

Postby 6t4nova » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 20]

Nice looking toy. I'm currently rebuilding my 64 nova into a low 9 sec street car. Enjoy it! They are a blast.
6t4nova

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 26, 2012 •  [Post 21]

6t4nova wrote:Nice looking toy. I'm currently rebuilding my 64 nova into a low 9 sec street car. Enjoy it! They are a blast.

Yikes.. 9 seconds is blazing fast.. What engine are you building in your 64?
WapitiTalk1

Postby 6t4nova » 11 27, 2012 •  [Post 22]

I going to put a 6.0 litre LS block in it. Will be 390 c.i. Of course, all that power isn't coming from a NA engine. Its going to have an air to air intercooled F2 procharger on it. That will allow me to drive it anywhere and with a simple pulley swap put around 850-900 hp to the rear wheels :o

It's my 4 year project. Right now I just finished building the frame for it and installed a new front clip. The nova's were unibody cars, so the front and rear weren't connected. I fixed that by building a new frame from the front back. It's almost at a rolling chassis stage right now, just waiting on my chassis builder to finish the fabricated 9" rear end. I'll post up some pictures when I get it rolling. Then its off to the chassis builder to get all new interior sheet metal and a 10 pt chrome moly cage.
6t4nova