Thermacell

Postby ORelksniper » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Anybody used one for hunting? Does it really keep mosquitos away
or is it a waste of $$. Is odor an issue? Pros and cons? Thanks for your
help.
ORelksniper

Re: Thermacell

Postby planebow » 10 25, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I bought one to use while hunting but have not had to yet. Did use it this summer and it does keep the mosquitos at bay, did not notic any smell
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby idahoghost » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I bought one as well, but Ihave not used it. I am a little concerned as I know find our it is not good above. 3500 (?) ft. I live at 6000....
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby one_elk » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have used my thermacell above 9000 ft and it seems like it made a difference, i.e. fewer bugs, but maybe it was just the placebo affect…
one_elk

Postby idahoghost » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 5]

FYI, this is from ThermaCell's website. Just thought everyone should know should know:

Q: My ThermaCELL device is not working correctly at high elevations. What can I do?

A: Unfortunately, most ThermaCELL mosquito appliances and lanterns will not work well at higher elevations. At altitudes above 4,500 feet (above sea level), most units become difficult to start and run. The lower air density causes the problem. If you are having trouble using your ThermaCELL at high elevation, it is probably not a defective appliance, but just a limitation of the product at high elevation.
idahoghost

First Name: Larry
Last Name: Hill

Postby ORelksniper » 10 26, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Thanks for the input everyone. Idahoghost thanks for checking on their website. The
obvious escaped me. Duh!! Had no idea the dang thing would have altitude
limitations.
ORelksniper

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 27, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I bought one several years ago and only used it once. That was at close to 10,000 ft. elevation. Placed it on he ground by the table while we were eating. All I can say is the mosquitos were horrible. But within ten minures after I lit it up, they were all gone. So, in that particular case, it did seem to work very well.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 10 27, 2012 •  [Post 8]

i have this wife. she is the better food choice to mosquitos. they always bite her, and leave me alone.

but sadly she doenst go hunting with me. so i got a thermacell. i find that any breeze will whisk the bubble of protection away and leave me there with a big target printed on my jugular.

now i just use it in my turkey blind. probably not great for my health. it works though.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby bnsafe » 10 27, 2012 •  [Post 9]

im a flatlander where mosquitos thrive by the tons. thermacell is hands down the best piece of equipment ive ever bought. they absolutely do work, at least at our altitude. awesome piece of equipment
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Thermacell

Postby BarW » 10 27, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Not sure on the altitude issue but they keep Mosquitos away, I live in deep east Texas and hunt the rivers and swamps Mosquitos so thick it looks like a black cloud. If your setting still they work everytime. They do have a smell but I've never had it spook game.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins