Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Year long fitness Challange

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Year long fitness Challange

Postby Oregoncombatvet » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Ok so this year I found that after having back surgery in April that I didnt have enough time to condition like in the years past. Ok so I wasnt able to condition at all. So I am looking for those die hards out there or hunters that want to kick butt next year that want to challange their self during the off season so your not challanging yourself during your hunt when you have to go from ridge top to ridge top. I believe that crossfit is one of the best workout out there and as a soldier I was always in top shape till I had surgery. My work outs come right off the Crossfit web sit and what I would like is for us to be able to motivate each other and post times and help everyone improve there fitness for hunting season. This is not a dick measuring compitition but fellow hunters helping each other out. All I ask is that you put 100% effort into this and you push yourself.

My goals are to cut from 242 Lbs to 190 ( that would be like carrying a 50lb pack with out even wearing one)
Be able to hunt 10 straight days and not be soar or tired
Climb a 30 degree slope for one mile and continue to hunt (this happened to me this year and I was sucken for about 2 days afterwards)

Reply if your up for the Challange and I will start posting my times on Monday and Maybe we can get Elknut to join in on the Fun and maybe make a special forum for it if enough people are up for it.
The website that I get my workouts off of is Crossift.com
Oregoncombatvet

First Name: Mike
Last Name: Coleman

Re: Year long fitness Challange

Postby Harmy » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I'm in. I could use all the motivation possible. Similar goals too. 230 to 190 in 1 year. Although the traditional BMI calculator fails on my body type... 210 is more realistic as at 190 I would be 4% body fat. Havn't been that way since 30 and climbing full time and a vegitarian for several years.
Aint no way I am giving up meat again...
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby MTLongdraw » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Is this bodyweight stuff or do you have to go out and buy a bunch of gear (weights, pull up bars etc.)
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby pointysticks » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Oregoncombatvet wrote:Be able to hunt 10 straight days and not be soar or tired

^^ is this realistic? go hard 10 days and not be sore or tired? i dont hate that muscle soreness waking up the next morning after a huge hike..i am not a super fit guy, but am i delusional in thinking everyone gets sore and tired..some of you guys dont?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Lefty » 10 13, 2012 •  [Post 5]

[/quote]^^ is this realistic? go hard 10 days and not be sore or tired? i dont hate that muscle soreness waking up the next morning after a huge hike..i am not a super fit guy, but am i delusional in thinking everyone gets sore and tired..some of you guys dont?[/quote]
I agree. Of course being in shape will help
My younger years I was in top shape running traplines. Packing contests , running and watersking.
My buddy came back from Marines training and still counldnt keep up with me in the snow and me carring beaver in my pack.
I think what most need to realize is hunt to your ability , some times a bit more.
Going to the extreme you will get tired and sore
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby pointysticks » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

i'm out!

where are the donuts and cigarettes? j/k haha. good luck gentlemen!! i can go hard 7-8 days, wheezing, coughing..popping motrin. i'm good :D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Oregoncombatvet » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Ok so I should take back about the fact that no matter what you will be sore as hard as I hunt, but the point I was trying to get to was that the better shape you are the better you will feel and recover allowing you to cover more ground and hunt hard. I covered about 6-8 miles per day in really ruff country. And if I was hunting flat grounded I would be in perfect shape but for the mountains that I hunt I was in horrible shape.
Oregoncombatvet

Postby Oregoncombatvet » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 8]

MTLongdraw wrote:Is this bodyweight stuff or do you have to go out and buy a bunch of gear (weights, pull up bars etc.)

A lot of it is bodyweight stuff and a some do require pull-up bars ect. If you are unable to get to a gym or get the equipment let me know because there is a section on the corssfit sit that is almost all body weight type work outs. And if you are able to build some stuff in your back yard it wouldnt cost you a lot.
Oregoncombatvet

Postby bstiger » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Crossfit, no better way to get fit. There are a lot of naysayers out there but the proof is in the putting. but like anything, you get what you put into it.
bstiger

First Name: Bill
Last Name: Stiger

Postby Oregoncombatvet » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 10]

bstiger wrote:Crossfit, no better way to get fit. There are a lot of naysayers out there but the proof is in the putting. but like anything, you get what you put into it.

You are completely right I was just hoping to get some people motivated for the next hunting season, because I like to cover lots of ground and hunt areas that most people wouldnt because the terrain is really really ruff.
Oregoncombatvet

Postby bnsafe » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 11]

good luck guys. dedication is what it takes. but the end will be the payoff
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby MTLongdraw » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 12]

I'm in....as much as I can be. Have a gym close by that I use so I will make it work.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 10 24, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I'm in. I came down with Whooping Cough before season and the only reason I was able to hunt was because of my physical training pre-season. This will definately be a motivation tool.

Anyone else interested?
JohnFitzgerald