Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

colorado

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

colorado

Postby bnsafe » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 1]

my wifes flyin to colorado next thurs for a job interview. not sure if im scared, excited, or some combination. i really wanna live out west, but hard to leave a place after 41 years and 2 kids, one of which is a jr in high school. lots goin on in the baker household right now besides hunting. prayers from the prayin folks on here would be appreciated.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: colorado

Postby Magic » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Change would always be unsettling, but venturing outside of your normal comfort zone could be exciting as well. Keep us posted on how it goes. What will you do?
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Bullnuts » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Wow, where at? I've lived in Colorado my entire life and love it here. In fact, the only time I ever left was to do my 4 years in the military and then I came right back. Depending on where you live the weather can be pretty mild the entire year but you get 4 seasons, the people are all pretty good folks, and the hunting is fantastic. There's also a lot of good fishing and lots of public land west of Interstate 25, which basically splits the state in half from north to south.
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

my wifes a nursing home administrator and her job would either be in windsor, greeley or poss one other spot in southern co close to the new mex line. shes leaning on windsor but all are open. im a reg nurse so finding a job doing something wont be a problem. finding a job doing something i really want and like, well time will tell. yep, im excited
bnsafe

Postby Bullnuts » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I would avoid Greeley if at all possible. They have a huge gang problem there and it's not a good place to raise a family right now. Windsor has a lot of geese and pheasants/quail. There are also a lot of deer up there if you can find permission.
Bullnuts

Postby eltaco » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Bullnuts wrote:I would avoid Greeley if at all possible. They have a huge gang problem there and it's not a good place to raise a family right now. Windsor has a lot of geese and pheasants/quail. There are also a lot of deer up there if you can find permission.

Pheasants/quail? Any public land access? I've had the hardest time finding an area to bird hunt since moving here...
eltaco

Postby Bullnuts » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 7]

eltaco wrote:
Bullnuts wrote:I would avoid Greeley if at all possible. They have a huge gang problem there and it's not a good place to raise a family right now. Windsor has a lot of geese and pheasants/quail. There are also a lot of deer up there if you can find permission.

Pheasants/quail? Any public land access? I've had the hardest time finding an area to bird hunt since moving here...

There's a ton of walk in access out there. Get the walk in almanac and check. There are also some wildlife areas out there but the hunting will get better the further east you go. After opening weekend it would be a good idea to try to find some private land to hunt. Public lands will still have birds but they'll be pretty cagey.
When you're done messing with those, come on down to Rocky Ford and book a hunt with us at Newdale Pheasant and Quail Club and I'll show you a ton of birds.
Bullnuts

Postby Bullnuts » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Bullnuts wrote:
eltaco wrote:

There's a ton of walk in access out there. Get the walk in almanac and check. There are also some wildlife areas out there but the hunting will get better the further east you go. After opening weekend it would be a good idea to try to find some private land to hunt. Public lands will still have birds but they'll be pretty cagey.
When you're done messing with those, come on down to Rocky Ford and book a hunt with us at Newdale Pheasant and Quail Club and I'll show you a ton of birds.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/Sma ... ogram.aspx
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 9]

duck and goose hunting is my passion, im a little worried that i wont be able to find a place to hunt them. bullnuts, thanks for the heads up on the gangs and greeley. i dont want any part of that.
bnsafe

Postby Magic » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 10]

bnsafe wrote:thanks for the heads up on the gangs and greeley. i dont want any part of that.

Yup, you don't want to have to use your skills on yourself. :?
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby pointysticks » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 11]

good luck!!

my wife and i discussed leaving California. colorado makes the list..she gets out of nursing school and we will revisit the conversation. sucks that my job is super super stable and awesome. a nursing job here is a unicorn. not common. that nursing shortage seems to be everywhere but here.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 12]

not so sure..living that much closer to Kilfaru would be a good thing :D
pointysticks

Postby Vanish » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 13]

WIndsor is a nice little Suburb. We used to fish the lake there when we lived up north. I lived in Greeley twice for a few months. I think old town Greeley is fine except Thursdays ;), but there are a million better places in CO. It is too far from the mountains for my taste, but probably has some of the quickest access to goose and duck hunting around.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby one_elk » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 14]

Born and raised in Southern CO not that far from the NM boarder, it is a great place to be and of course I am very biased. Currently live in northern CO and am looking forward to getting back south...good luck on your decision
one_elk

Postby hornart » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 15]

If the town she`s looking at is Durango,,then it will be great for you,,lots of hunting opportunities in the area
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby ColoStateHunter » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Well keep me posted if you end up moving. I currently live in Ft Collins and work in Greeley. Greeley is not as bad as they make it out to be. It is like any other place where there are very nice parts and very run down parts. I would agree that Windsor is a great place to live.

As for your passion in duck and goose hunting, I share that with you. And as a bit of incentive, the front range of Colorado is essentially the mecca of high plains waterfowling especially for geese. It is not uncommon for me to see 50k of darks in a day when they are here...
ColoStateHunter

Last Name: Urie

Postby bnsafe » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 17]

thanks colostatehunter, i will do. im pretty sure we will be moving. just gonna take some time
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 10 01, 2012 •  [Post 18]

ColoStateHunter wrote: And as a bit of incentive, the front range of Colorado is essentially the mecca of high plains waterfowling especially for geese. It is not uncommon for me to see 50k of darks in a day when they are here...

You are correct, but the golf courses and City Park dont count... :)

There is much overlooked waterfowl hunting in the mountains. Just gotta go early
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Bullnuts » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 19]

ColoStateHunter wrote:Well keep me posted if you end up moving. I currently live in Ft Collins and work in Greeley. Greeley is not as bad as they make it out to be. It is like any other place where there are very nice parts and very run down parts. I would agree that Windsor is a great place to live....

Do a google search for Greeley Colorado gangs and see what pops up. I agree that every town has its good side and bad side but it is the level of violence of Greeley's hometown gang that defines it in my book. If given the opportunity I sure wouldn't want to take a chance with my kids growing up in a city like that. Nothing against the good folks who live in Greeley - they didn't cause the problem and are having to live with it - but it's the bad element that makes the town undesirable.
Bullnuts

Postby ColoStateHunter » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 20]

cnelk- There are plenty there in City Park for sure and tons of jewlery! Too bad anything huntable just outside city limits comes with a huge price tag. I typically hunt geese out east by Ft Morgan and Wiggins. When the honkers are in it is not uncommon to work 5-10k in a day (or at least have them fly by) and see close to 50k.

bullnuts-I do not disagree, there are much better places to live in NoCO than Greeley. However there are some very nice neighborhoods on the west side. The further east and closer to Evans you get the more sketchy it becomes.

FOr anyone else wondering, CO is a terrible place to live I wouldn't move here. California seems much more appealing... ;)
ColoStateHunter

Postby bnsafe » 10 02, 2012 •  [Post 21]

lol, wife flies out thurs so should know more this weekend
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 22]

good luck!!

i would love to live in colorado..california is getting tiresome.

i have an awesome job (thankful and blessed for that) and it would be difficult to quit it and move on..and my wife was born in the tropics. she HATES the cold.
pointysticks

Postby Bullnuts » 10 03, 2012 •  [Post 23]

Good luck! I'm sure things will work out the best for you and the family.
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 10 05, 2012 •  [Post 24]

nothing officially offered but they told her to decide which job she wanted and they would talk again monday or tues. sounds like the money would be okay. so it looks like we are prob moving. now gotta figure out whats right for my daughter whos a junior in high school and wants to grad with her class here, which i understand.
bnsafe

Postby dito » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 25]

I'm in Alamosa. Lots of good duck and goose hunting here. Some of my hot spots are dry this year. But it's not too shabby. Good hunting all around too.
dito

First Name: Armando
Last Name: Vigil

Postby >>>---WW----> » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 26]

The money may sound good but you might also want to check the cost of living in Colorado. Usually the western slope is higher on just about everything than the east side. My old friend used to say, "That's the price you have to pay to live in paradise"!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 27]

we checked, pretty close to the same as it is here, a little higher for sure, but not much
bnsafe

Postby Bullnuts » 10 07, 2012 •  [Post 28]

>>>---WW----> wrote:The money may sound good but you might also want to check the cost of living in Colorado. Usually the western slope is higher on just about everything than the east side. My old friend used to say, "That's the price you have to pay to live in paradise"!

Good thing you have all those millions Bill!
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 10 08, 2012 •  [Post 29]

Is there public waterfowl areas or all private
bnsafe

Postby Bullnuts » 10 08, 2012 •  [Post 30]

There's lots of public land here.
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 31]

Thanks bullnuts. I love to waterfowl hunt an had the impression I wouldn't be able to. Hopefully I can find some guys out there with the same passion.
bnsafe

Postby pointysticks » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 32]

my BIL called me and turned me onto a job contact...in Denver.

sucks. timing is horrible. my home is worth squat..my wife is in nursing school..grr.

california is getting old.

good luck OP!!
pointysticks

Postby ColoStateHunter » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 33]

There is a great amount of public. The hunting on it can be hit or miss and most properties are for ducks (though with some creativity geese can be killed in decoys). However, there are tons of reasonable clubs to join (especially if you are more of a goose guy like myself).

Good luck on the move. Once you get settled in let me know and we can do some waterfowling or I can at least give you some tips.
ColoStateHunter

Postby dito » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 34]

bnsafe wrote:Thanks bullnuts. I love to waterfowl hunt an had the impression I wouldn't be able to. Hopefully I can find some guys out there with the same passion.

You are welcome to come hunt with us in Alamosa, if you move close by.
dito

First Name: Armando
Last Name: Vigil

Postby bnsafe » 10 09, 2012 •  [Post 35]

thanks guys, i will make some contacts when i know more. i really appreciate it. my wife was in a meeting an missed the phone call so guess im waitin till tomorrow to find out my fate.
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 36]

Looks like we are moving out in December. I'm looking forward to it. My wife will be working in Greeley but we are planning on living in Windsor. Course all that is just plans tip we actually get there but we are coming out in a couple weeks to househunt. Thanks for all the info guys.
bnsafe

Postby Bullnuts » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 37]

Good luck! Once you get settled we'll have to go find some birds.
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 38]

That would be awesome bullnuts. I grew up quail hunting with English setters but our quail are virtually gone. But I love wing shooting an looking forward to resident elk tags. But man do I have a lot to learn about hunting Colorado.
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 39]

I grew up in Northern Minnesota

I first hunted elk in Colorado as a teenager and officially moved here in 1988.
I hunted WT, bear and all types of birds [waterfowl & upland] growing up.

After moving here, elk hunting has taken priority to all.
There is never enough time to scout the 'next mountain' or to find that secret draw with a wallow.

I'm not saying that this obsession will happen to you, but if it does.... :) watch out
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby bnsafe » 10 10, 2012 •  [Post 40]

im 41,hope i can keep at it long enuf to figure it out. but im in good shape and not afraid to work at it. wife had her last official interview today. it went great so gotta sale my house and be ready to move at mid term which is dec 22 here i believe. cant believe im gonna live out west. surreal for me.
bnsafe

Postby Vanish » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 41]

bnsafe wrote:But man do I have a lot to learn about hunting Colorado.

Second year as a resident here myself. The outdoor opportunities are awesome. My wife and I sat down and had to plan out our whole calendar with fishing and hunting. Mountain ice fishing, Front range ice fishing, tailwaters, Spring trout runs, Northern Pike, Walleye and WIper, Alpine Trout, Scouting, Elk, Salmon run, Pronghorn, Mule Deer, Nebraska Whitetails, Salmon ice fishing ...

That's all awesome, but each part of it you have to learn the W's, and it takes a lot of effort!
Vanish

Last Name: Driskel

Postby bnsafe » 10 11, 2012 •  [Post 42]

sounds like im gonna be to busy to work. hope my wife goes for that. i will be happy to figure out the waterfowl and big game. i will fish but im not good at it. look forward to catching stuff we dont have here though
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 43]

my wife flys to atlanta next week to meet and greet all the corp guys, then she signs her contract. i think we are coming out a few days before thanksgiving to house hunt etc, then she will be coming out early dec while i finish up with the kids semester then my last day here is dec 22. moving in the winter should be fun, lol
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 44]

oh, and my wife didnt go for the no working thing, lol,
bnsafe

Postby Bullnuts » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 45]

bnsafe wrote:oh, and my wife didnt go for the no working thing, lol,

You need a new wife then! :lol:

Actually, that's good news. You're gonna love living here!
Bullnuts

Postby dotman » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 46]

I am so jealous :)
dotman

Postby bnsafe » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 47]

Sorry dotman. I will buy you supper on ur way through next year
bnsafe

Postby dotman » 10 18, 2012 •  [Post 48]