Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Idaho Antelope 2013

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Idaho Antelope 2013

Postby MTLongdraw » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I know it seems early, but I'm going to have to start making plans for my 2013 hunting season in the next couple months. One thing that keeps coming up on my Bucket List is an antelope archery hunt. I can do one here in MT, and basically be guranteed to draw next year with a bonus point for my area, but I want to keep that tag for rifle to hunt with my wife. Another thing I can do is put in for what we call a 900 series. The 900 series is an archery antelope tag which is good for any area in the state. The only draw back is you cant use it during rifle season. If I just put in for a normal area and draw (which I should since I didn't this year) I can use it from Sep 1 up until rifle, and then I can use rifle after that. I've done the 900 tag once before but wasn't able to give it enough time to be sucessful. All I know is I had a blast. Another nice thing about MT is you can apply for your rifle unit and if you don't get it, you can put 900 as your second choice. I didn't realize that this year and dropped the ball. There were like 35 tags left over so I could have at least went a few days vs none at all. Does Idaho have any options like this???

I know most of you guys are from Idaho and I'm looking for some help. Basically here is what I've been able to possibly figure out from the Idaho F&G website.

A out of state resident has to buy a pronghorn tag for about $155. Is that OTC or do I need to apply in the spring? Then you also need to buy a $20 archery validation tag? (please correct me if I'm wrong....I have a hard enough time figuring out MT's regs let alone another state.) I wasn't able to find a general season date, all I could find was the controlled hunt dates. That seems to be a higher sucess, more sought after tag?

As far as where I want to hunt I have no idea. I keep hearing Southern ID has a ton of public land (BLM) so thats probably where I wanna concentrate my efforts. I also have some connections near Lost Valley or Little Lost Valley wherever that is. Basically I want to do a public land, DIY, archery antelope hunt. I'm looking for an area with a lot of public land and places to access it. Also I'm not as much concerned about trophy size or score, I just want to be able to say I got a speed goat with my bow. I'm looking at doing a combination of spot and stalk as well as ground blind hunting. I'll also need an area to camp as I plan to stay 5-7 days if need be. Do you all have any recomendations?

Thanks for you help and advice. Thats what makes this forum so awesome. I'm really looking forward to planning an out of state hunt from start to finish. Its something I've never done before.
MTLongdraw

First Name: Josh
Last Name: Volinkaty

Re: Idaho Antelope 2013

Postby JoeH2o » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 2]

You have to draw an antalope tag in Idaho. Most archey units are unlimited draw, so you just have to put in for them in the spring. You just need to know what area you want to hunt and see if there is an unlimited draw in that unit/units. Resident tags are $31.25 plus an $18.75 application fee.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby JoeH2o » 09 29, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Correction: $6.25 application fee. $18.75 was for 3 of us on one ticket. My bad.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby MTLongdraw » 09 30, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Thanks Joe. I'll try to do more research tonight but whens the dates? Is it mid August?
MTLongdraw

Re: Idaho Antelope 2013--I NEED ID RESIDENTS HELP

Postby MTLongdraw » 10 12, 2012 •  [Post 5]

bump
MTLongdraw

Postby 2OArchery » 10 15, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Nonresident license is $154.75
Nonresident application fee is $14.75
Nonresident pronghorn tag is $311.75

I grew up in unit 40, so that is what I'll talk about here. There are 2 archery hunts in unit 40. An early hunt, Aug 15-30. Limited to 200 tags. Roughly 50% draw odds. I personally think this is the better hunt, because you are the first hunters in the field of the year, not as much competition. Then there is the unlimited hunt that runs Sep 10-24. Its an unlimited draw, meaning that everyone that applies gets the tag. There will be more people, plus the unlimited general deer season is going on, so there are more people in the unit in general.

You can apply for the early hunt as your first choice, and the unlimited hunt as your second choice. Then if you don't draw the early one, you will still get to hunt the second hunt. If you want to be guaranteed a tag, you must put an unlimited hunt as your first or second choice.

You will have to pay for the license, application fee and tag. You have to purchase a nonresident license in Idaho to apply. So, if you choose to not apply for the unlimited tag, you still are out $169.50.

You can do research on Idaho Fish and Game's website and see what the success rates are for each hunt. There area only 8(I think) archery only hunts, so it shouldn't be too difficult to do a little research and see which hunt fits your needs the best.

I hope this answers some or most or all of your questions.
2OArchery

Postby bnsafe » 10 16, 2012 •  [Post 7]

holy cow thats high to hunt goats. nebraska charged me 200 bucks and i was good to go.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott