Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

what are we doing with our elk meat?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

what are we doing with our elk meat?

Postby pointysticks » 09 21, 2012 •  [Post 1]

i grilled a small piece of tenderloin. med rare..delicious.

pan seared a small steak from the backstrap...delicious, but much more tough to chew. i think i will allow time for the salt to break down some fibers..so salt it early and keep it in the fridge for a few hours. any tenderizing tips?

any other tips? last night i made a small stew from shoulder meat..looks like the way to go. wife gobbled it up!!!

i am so excited to have a small stash of lean, low cholesterol..yummy meat.

any good elk meat ideas?
Attachments
elksteak.jpg
elksteak.jpg (45.96 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: what are we doing with our elk meat?

Postby cnelk » 09 21, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Slowly pecking away at cutting and grinding....

Had loins [w/ fried onions and squash from garden] the other night, burgers last night after packaging

cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby one_elk » 09 22, 2012 •  [Post 3]

looks like I will be letting my elk meat age on the hoof for another year, no grin.....
one_elk

Postby hornart » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 4]

We wil be taking the best cuts and making steak out of them and then the rest we will cut up and pressure can it
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby ferris bugler » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 5]

I keep all the good steaks as steaks. The front quarters and any left over meat gets turned into burger. Some is left as is and some is mixed with pork butt to make sausage. I've made everything from breakfast sausage to linked Polish sausages, but my favorites are Italian and Chorizo. Most of the time I just cook the steaks with a little seasoning or just some olive oil on the grill. Try fajitas with some and make sure to make some stew with the tougher cuts. Here is a link for a recipe I made with a piece of meat from the flank. enjoy. http://leatherwall.bowsite.com/TF/lw/th ... 88#2842891
ferris bugler

First Name: rewk
Last Name: patten

Postby Lefty » 09 24, 2012 •  [Post 6]

When we cut up the meat we keep it in muscle groups and freeze it like it is a roast and When thawed we cut to the size of steak we want.
All meat is labled by location and tenderness, "tough brisket pieces" tender brisket , lower front leg etc. If were making fahitas most of the pieces or tough cuts are used

Most of out meet is cooked in hot olive oil, as it is ready to turn we add butter, cooked to rare or med rare, Maybe salt maybe a steak sauce
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Bullnuts » 09 26, 2012 •  [Post 7]

Try this: Marinate sirloins or backstraps in a mixture of soy sauce, about 2 table spoons of sesame oil, and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Put it in the fridge and let it sit for a couple hours. Drop them on a hot grill and cook to medium rare. Serve it up with zuchini, onions, and mushrooms, pan fried in butter, and hot steamed rice. Your taste buds will thank you!
Bullnuts

Postby Vanish » 09 27, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Had a whole pile of friends over to share in what was for most their first elk meat. Did two different dry rubs and grilled em. Excellent!

Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel