Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I "saved " a fellow a day of misery

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby Lefty » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Monday afternoon I heard a horse whiney in some thick cover. Thinking maybe it was a lost horse from the fires a month ago; I found a horseman and his horse a bit bloodied up who were trying to find a trail. The cover was too thick to even hunt in. The fellow was physically and mentally exhausted.
He clearly stated and thanked me for finding him, and his embarassment. He said he had no idea where he was and how to find a particular trail.
Knowing a bit about horses, (my wife and daughter own 4 :? ) I suggested a much better and safer route for him and his horse. It was broad daylight I walked him and his horse a couple miles, Got him back on his horse, he was too tired to walk I made sure he had enough water and how to get to where he was going,.. He didn’t know he had 1700 feet of elevation down and 3000 feet to go up, Just a five mile ride
He was miles 180 degrees’ from where he was headed.
I may not have saved the corinor work, but I think I kept search and resucue out of my elk area :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: I "saved " a fellow a day of misery

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 2]

You did a good thing Lefty. My hats off to you!
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Freebird134 » 09 06, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Scary stuff. Be careful out there guys!!!!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby easeup » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 4]

...a good samaritan indeed.........

the post got me to thinking though....was this guy a hunter?
or was he running a backcountry drop off stash for some drug lord and never had a clue where he was from the start?
sometimes I wonder how a fellow gets himself in a jam like that in the first place.
easeup

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Lefty, you deserve a pat on the back for sure. Glad to know there are good guys like you out there.
>>>---WW---->

Postby Lefty » 09 07, 2012 •  [Post 6]

[quote="easeupthe post got me to thinking though....was this guy a hunter?
.[/quote]
he said he didnt hunt, but had friends who did, He didnt think there were elk in this part of the mountian close to town, was a horseman that did lots of group trail rides,.. he had a nice well trained horse, he was overweight and had no woodmanship sence, He was in panic mode when I found him.
Oppps time to go hunting :)
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby dotman » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I had 4 ladies trail riding for a week straight in my area, it was all new to them and the trail is nonexistant in areas, they had no map, compassor GPS. Easily could have been the same type of situation, some people do enjoy trail riding but depend way too much on the trails and have zero navigation tools.

Good to hear you helped.
dotman