Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Great start to hunting season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Great start to hunting season

Postby Freebird134 » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 1]

They may be about 3000 times smaller than an elk, but my hunting season was off to a great start yesterday with a limit of mourning doves. I got into dove hunting when I moved to the midwest a few years ago. I duck hunt the same area, and there woodies and teal are there thick! Can't wait to get back from elk hunting just in time to shoot a few limits of blue wings and wood ducks before they head south. Any other waterfowlers here???
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Re: Great start to hunting season

Postby Broken arrow » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I love duck hunting although I haven't been in a few years. My favorite is hunting snows over dekes in the spring. Nothing like a couple thousand birds tornadoing out of the clouds!!! :D
Broken arrow

Postby one_elk » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I grew up duck hunting in souther CO and it was great, still do a little duck hunting now and then but looking to get back into it. Actually one of my animals harvested with a bow was a mallard hen as she took of must of shot a 100 of them over a couple of year period when I was 12 or so but this was the only unlucky duck to acatully have a run in with my arrow. Anyway yes, looking forward to hunting ducks this fall....
one_elk

Postby Freebird134 » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I grew up duck hunting a lot in Idaho, but got out of it until moving to Wisconsin. I've been doing pretty good on ducks here, but it really becomes an internal conflict to chose between the duck stand and deer stand all fall! I'd love to hunt spring snows! I have friends that go out to South Dakota and Missouri to do it. I would have done it with them this year if I hadn't been saving my pennies for Idaho elk and mule deer!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby bnsafe » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 5]

duck hunting is my passion. matter fact i quit deer hunting because it was interfereing with my duck hunting. my daughter took up bowhunting so im back in the big game animal mode for now, but still get alot of birds in.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Bullnuts » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 6]

I love thwacking doves and guide pheasant and quail hunters in the fall. I have two great pointers that I work with, one is a national field champ and the other placed 3rd last year as a 2 year old. Other than elk hunting and occasionally sitting in a tree waiting for a whitetail to walk by, I love hunting upland!
Bullnuts