Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

thieves

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

thieves

Postby bnsafe » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 1]

yea i know lock up everything while your away, but, do you guys worry about your stuff gettin stolen while your backpacking in. we are gonna stay out for a couple days then go back to basecamp for a couple days and im a little worried the tent, trailor, coolers, etc wont be there when we get back and we dont have enuf room to lock up everything. just wondering if you guys had any experience with thieves. around here i wouldnt leave a kleenex out if i wanted it.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: thieves

Postby dreamhunter » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 2]

I have been hunting in Colorado all of my elk hunting yrs and we have stayed in motels and camped out. At first I was worried about our stuff as well.My buddy said not worry,the people out here in colorado are good ethical people for the most part.If they come out this far they are coming to hunt not pilfer someones campsite. Go hunt and don't worry
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Ya, I suppose it could happen, but the odds are very much against it. Besides, most people realize that hunting camps and guns go together. And it just isn't worth getting your tail shot off over a sleeping bag or coleman lantern.

I used to run a NF campground. I only had one person complain about anything ever being stolen, and that was a bottle of whiskey. Turns out, his son hide it in the bushes so he could sneek a nip every now and then when his dad wasn't looking.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Freebird134 » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 4]

There was an article in one of the big bowhunting magazines recently about gearing up for bivy hunting. The author had recently lost all his gear between a house fire and backcountry thieves. It does happens, but what can you really do? I'd play it safe and put things away and out of sight. You know what they say, "locks just keep honest people honest."
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby bullrub » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 5]

We have never had anything taken from our camp. We set our camp up a week before the season opens and don't take it down until its over. Maybe we are just very lucky. But we are off the beaten path and maybe thats why.
bullrub

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Winters

Postby one_elk » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 6]

So far so good, have hunted in CO, NM, MT for a number of years and so far still have all of my equipment.....
one_elk

Postby bnsafe » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 7]

thanks guys, i wont give it another thought
bnsafe

Postby Magic » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 8]

I guess that it could happen, but in well over 30 years, I have never had anything stolen, etc. from a base or a spike camp.
Magic

First Name: Lynn
Last Name: D

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2012 •  [Post 9]

I dont think anyone has even seen my "camp" the past 3 years. I do lock my truck,
Not much of value
big cooler and ice
small cooler with my 2 days food,
tent ,pads, sleeping bags
old frame pack and meat handing knifes and supplies
everything else is on my back
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby foxvalley » 08 28, 2012 •  [Post 10]

Last year the forest service was putting in a new section of trail, and one of the workers helped themself to a few things at a camp close to the trail.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby hornart » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 11]

set up a trail cam on the access to your basecamp,,then atleast you will know what vehicle or people if any,,came into your setup
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby Neitz » 09 02, 2012 •  [Post 12]

It's probably a slim chance you are hunting there, but in Western Washington you should be cautious.
Trail heads are known to get hit regularly. If it's anywhere a tweaker can drive, your stuff is at risk.

I never realized how bad it was over there until moving away to Idaho last year.
Neitz

First Name: Donn
Last Name: N

Postby Bullnuts » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 13]

I live and hunt in Colorado and I've been a cop here for over 20 years. Yes, most people are good folks and they won't mess with your stuff. BUT, it only takes one knucklehead to ruin your day. I once caught a guy stealing tack out of a horse trailer that was parked at a trailhead. We also had a frigging meth lab running in our hunting area a couple years ago and everyone knows about tree stand thieves (who are, by the way, usually other hunters). So, if you're really worried about your stuff, lock it up. Don't leave anything in sight that will tempt a thief. Never leave your keys in the vehicle. Last, leave a note on the dash that says something like, "Bob, went to sit on the hill. I'll be back when I see you at the truck". Anything to keep the bad guys thinking (which is really pretty tough on them) will help keep your stuff safe.
Bullnuts

Postby Lefty » 09 12, 2012 •  [Post 14]

One thing i do is put two or three folding chairs in camp,..
Lefty

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby hornart » 09 13, 2012 •  [Post 15]

Here is a great idea for a bumper sticker,,you know where you are,do you know where I am ?
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby Gevärssmed » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 16]

Last year in late deer season my friend and I pulled into the Bunco parking to find 5 or 6 trucks that were broken into. The trucks had snowmobiles trailers that were hit too. They busted out windows, pried open doors and stole anything that wasn't nailed down. In all the years I have been in this area, I have never seen anything like it..... :x

I guess it could happen anywhere to anyone at anytime. I will take extra precautions this hunting season for sure. :!: :!:
Gevärssmed

First Name: K
Last Name: Swanson

Postby bnsafe » 09 14, 2012 •  [Post 17]

didnt have a problem in colorado hunting but got 2 coolers stolen on the way home. one of them was the cooler the bear tore up, that one was kinda special to us. i hope they enjoy it.
bnsafe

Postby Swede » 09 15, 2012 •  [Post 18]

I have had a little problem off and on with tree stand stuff. One stand and everything with it was stolen. My camp has never been hit. Lock up or hide what you can.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics