Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

checking in from your smart phone

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

checking in from your smart phone

Postby dreamhunter » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 1]

Will most of you be checking in on here while on your hunt.It would be great to get some real time whats going on out in the field ( mountains ).what your seeing,hearing,post some pics of kills ,other interesting site you run across .
dreamhunter

First Name: Holly
Last Name: Paugh

Re: checking in from your smart phone

Postby Jahnke76 » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 2]

If my phone works I will. We are not going to be that far from a larger town so it may work.
Jahnke76

Postby eltaco » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I'm checking in from a few miles back right now. Will do so regularly. Season opened this morning and the bulls I had at 50yds last night were nowhere to be found. I've jumped a couple elk, but no shot opportunities. Currently sitting on a wallow that has been getting POUNDED!! All wallow action seems to be at night on my two cams, so we'll see what thus evening brings.

High temps right now, not much for movement after 7:30am.

Should also mention, I'm seeing bulls with herds and in bachelor groups. I have trail Cam pics of a 5 and 6 sparing and another pic of the 6 bugling. I know, I know... it's opening week... the bulls don't talk til the 10th. :) :)
eltaco

Postby dreamhunter » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Great !! this is exciting already,I just cant wait until the 8th of Sept to leave so i can get out there and do my part as well.
dreamhunter

Postby eltaco » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Fellas... I botched a setup this evening. Found a water Hoke that had been wallowed in the last few days. Set my guys up on the perimeter of the clearing, let a bugle out and started trashing the wallow and a tree with a big branch. I sat down and watched my area for a while and decided to get up and do it again. Unfortunately, two of the guys heard the bull coming in but gave me no warning. You guessed it, I got caught at 50yds standing in the open trashing his wallow again.

Can never be too cautious... but it seems whenever I let my guard down the elk can sense it.

He never made a peep until he crashed out.
eltaco

Postby dreamhunter » 08 25, 2012 •  [Post 6]

He probably looked at you and thought to himself WTH ! I came down here for this,I'm outta here.lol better luck next time,communicate team players
dreamhunter