Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

OUCH!!!

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

OUCH!!!

Postby Bullnuts » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 1]

About 7 or 8 years ago I fell and broke my wrist in what my doctor described as a buckle fracture. This happened the week before the archery elk season was set to start, so instead of having it treated, I opted to hunt through the pain. The elk season was followed by deer season, for which I held a coveted Colorado eastern plains archery tag, so again I held off and continued hunting. I finally went in to see the doc in January. Well, as you can imagine, he Xrayed it and then asked me what I expected him to do at that point. Nothing really, I just wanted to make sure that it was healed up straight, to which he said that he thought it was. I have lost about 10% range of motion in the wrist, but other than that it has felt ok for the past few years. Fast foward to this month. Over the past couple of days I've had some major pain in my thumb, palm, and all through my wrist. It feels like something is grinding in there. Elk season starts in 2 days and I plan to hunt through the pain again and, since I don't have a deer tag this year, I'll go see the doc when elk season is over - if the pain is still there. I'm thinking a bone chip or scar tissue, but I need to hear from you docs out there and get some advice on how I should be taking care of this between now and my trip to my doctor. Ice? Heat? Immobilization isn't an option since it's on my release hand, but I need to figure out a way to minimize further damage while I stubbornly, and probably stupidly, avoid the doctor again until after the season.
Bullnuts

Re: OUCH!!!

Postby pointysticks » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 2]

buy that thing that transfers the draw weight to your arm behind the elbow.

lemme go and find it.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby pointysticks » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 3]

pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Bullnuts » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 4]

That is an interesting piece right there! If I weren't heading to the woods tomorrow morning I think I might try to get one. Any of you guys ever try one?
Bullnuts

Postby cnelk » 08 23, 2012 •  [Post 5]

This was my shoulder last April... partial bicep tendon tear and partial rotator cuff tear.

Now its much better with the above 'Dry Needling' and PT but I still have to take some pain meds once in awhile
My doc told me to take a Tylenol Arthritis along with 2 Aleve.
That seems to works all day for me
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby hornart » 08 30, 2012 •  [Post 6]

From what I have been told,,dont ever use heat,,the muscle tissue is already inflamed so only use cold,,this will also help with the pain also
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby Bullnuts » 09 01, 2012 •  [Post 7]

I finished the first week without too many issues. My forearm is sore and the wrist is a little achy, but nothing that I can't manage. Cold baths in creek water probably helped me forget about the pain!
Bullnuts

Postby >>>---WW----> » 09 03, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Don't you use a release Bill? I would think a good strap on type would help you alot.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Bullnuts » 09 04, 2012 •  [Post 9]

>>>---WW----> wrote:Don't you use a release Bill? I would think a good strap on type would help you alot.

Yea, the release helps significantly. I don't know if I just strained it throwing the baseball with the boys or if I slept on it or what, but it has definitely improved over the past week. I'm actually feeling pretty good now.
Bullnuts