Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Problem Bears

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Problem Bears

Postby dotman » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 1]

If you are a solo hunter and just foundout F&G dumps the problem bears right in your exact area would you still hunt it? The local outfitter told me I can use one of his camps at no charge (unless he books a client) but that F&G has dumped a bunch of problem bears into the area. He is the only outfitter licensed in the area and he is also the local rancher that has his cattle close to the area. He told me that he would pack out an animal for me no problem for $200 and that he has seen some nice bulls and and the most sign he has seen in the last 5 years. He told me of another camp and a few drainages where there is some hidden water. I hunted this area last year with no issues, elk daily and came close to a few nice bulls.

Super excited about the elk info since I didn't get to scout but not happy about the problem bears. This is the same area I had a mountain lion on my trail last year. Would the problem bears concern any of you enough to find a new area? I'm still going to the area but wanted to get a feel for what you guys think.
dotman

Re: Problem Bears

Postby dotman » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Oh yeah, he is seeing 3-5 bears everytime he is out there. Man I wish I could get a bear tag!
dotman

Postby Buglemaster » 08 16, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I would'nt give it up, but would take extra precautions with my camp & food storage. Also probably pack a pistola just in case & be shure to let him chew on your boot a little to prove self defense ;) . What unit & state? I did pick up a bear tag when they went on sale, but it's probably just a guarantee I wont see one.
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby hornart » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I have to agree with buglemaster, take the extra precautions with the food and cleanliness,and by all means,if you have a problem with one of them,,take care of the problem
hornart

First Name: steve
Last Name: smith

Postby Freebird134 » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Yeah, I'd hunt it. But like others, I'd just prepare to be extra careful. I usually don't carry bear spray or worry, but in this case I would. I'd cook and eat +100 yards from my tent and store food in a tree. Problem bears are usually related to food: they are getting in trouble looking for chow, not attacking people. I imagine if you encounter them while hunting it's not going to be aggressive, just curious.

Remember to have fun! If you are worried your whole trip you won't have fun. Find a new spot! Otherwise, be safe and remember to post pics of some bears (and dead elk!).
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby dotman » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Oh i'm still going :) I'm pretty good about keeping camp clean, never cook where I sleep and hang my food always. I just wish I could get a tag for a bear now :) This area has some monster bears in it for CO standards so the problem bears may get pushed out also.
dotman

Postby Freebird134 » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 7]

dotman wrote:Oh i'm still going :) I'm pretty good about keeping camp clean, never cook where I sleep and hang my food always. I just wish I could get a tag for a bear now :) This area has some monster bears in it for CO standards so the problem bears may get pushed out also.

Gotcha. I think I missed your last sentence or 2 :)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Jahnke76 » 08 17, 2012 •  [Post 8]

Ahh there all teddy bears. Just tackle them and wrestle them down and you wont have any problems. :D
Jahnke76

Postby one_elk » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 9]

Wow seeing 3 -5 bears, I am assuming he is talking about 3 - 5 different bears, is a pretty high denisty for bears in CO (I guess it does depend on how far he is traveling into camp), take your bear spray....
one_elk

Postby dotman » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 10]

You can't go anywhere in this area without seeing bear crap, he is talking 3-5 different bears.
dotman

Postby Bullnuts » 08 19, 2012 •  [Post 11]

For every 3-5 that he's seeing, how many more are out there that he isn't seeing???
There are more black bear attacks than grizzly attacks on humans every year and the natural food, berries and stuff, haven't been too good this year because of the drought in CO. I would still hunt the area but take the precautions and definitely carry bear spray and keep a 12 gauge loaded with 00 buck in camp.
Bullnuts