Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Salt pills

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Salt pills

Postby hunt596 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 1]

I have read numerous articles regarding hydration and how much we should drink, etc. However I have never seen any advice of salt intake while being very active during strenuous hunts. During my time in the service we were often given and told to use salt pills at times of this high activity. Anyone out there know whether our salt intake should also increase at the times of hydration?
hunt596

First Name: Lester
Last Name: Morgan

Re: Salt pills

Postby foxvalley » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Good question.

I never went out of my way to take in more salt,but the food we eat and the jerky that we have for lunch is loaded. I think the sports drinks like gaderade have electolites and I'm guessing, sodium, all the syuff to rehydrate the body.I also add packets of "emergen C" to my water, it's packed with tons of vitamin C,and other vitamins,electolites,etc.
foxvalley

First Name: doug
Last Name: houghton

Postby Freebird134 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 3]

I did actually read something about salt intake on a backpacking site. I was researching backcountry meals, and found some discussions on Ramen noodles. Some people were complaining that Ramen noodles have too much salt, so they were using the noodles without the seasoning packet. Finally a voice of wisdom chimed in and --just like you mention here-- reminded everyone that during all that strenuous activity, increased sodium intake is probably good.

Like Foxvalley said, the food we eat during our hunts is high in sodium anyway, so I don't worry about it. My basic meal plan during a backpacking hunt is trail mix (eg, several ounces of salty nuts, m&ms, dried fruit), Cliff Bars and freeze-dried food that is relatively high in sodium. I think my sodium intake increases appropriately without supplementing with pills.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby POk3s » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 4]

Good topic because I'm always worried about the amount of salt in all those dehydrated meals as well as snacks. Always loaded with salt which I figured would dehydrate me so I try and pick the stuff with lowest sodium.....I'd love to hear the benefits and if I'd been doing it all wrong.
Trent Williams
ElkNut Field Staff
POk3s

Postby Freebird134 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 5]

POk3s wrote:Good topic because I'm always worried about the amount of salt in all those dehydrated meals as well as snacks. Always loaded with salt which I figured would dehydrate me so I try and pick the stuff with lowest sodium.....I'd love to hear the benefits and if I'd been doing it all wrong.

When you sweat, you lose salt. I don't think anyone is really running the risk of Hyponatremia (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001431/), but you are losing lots of salt (sodium) when you exert yourself and sweat, so most of us will be fine to consume the extra salt found in those meals.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby ElkNut1 » 07 18, 2012 •  [Post 6]

Freebird, good stuff, I did not know that! I too have been a bit leery of too much salt, but what you mention makes sense! Thanks!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul