Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

You think you had a bad day?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

You think you had a bad day?

Postby Indian Summer » 11 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Man... two sad posts in 1 week.

A quick story to put life into perspective.

I've had a rough year. Nothing to do with hunting either. So the other night I went out for a few beers to lighten up & forget about things for a minute. I ended up meeting someone I've heard so much about. Drove his Harley up from Arizona with his son for a visit with old friends. He has leukemia and maybe a year and a half to live. But he was so inspiring. He's accepted things and just laughed the whole time. It was amazing really.I also had a great conversation with his son who I'd never met either. He got back from Afghanistan a week ago. Good times with great people.

As if that wasn't enough while I was there I got a call from a very very dear friend in New Brunswick Canada. His mother in law has been battling lung cancer for a long time and it looks like her days are getting very numbered. So his wife's aunt & uncle decided to make the trip north for what would likely be the last time they saw her. On the way there they were both killed in a traffic accident. Jesus! I'm still floored by the news.

The reason I made this post is so hopefully any of you that are having some tough times will realize like I did that maybe we don't have it so bad.

Prayers to you guys Marco & Annie LeBlanc. :cry:
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: You think you had a bad day?

Postby Swede » 11 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Joe: I am saddened to read your post. I will pray for you and those suffering by the tragic situations. The Holy Scriptures remind us "it is appointed unto men once to die". Heb. 9:27 That applies to us all. What matters is how we live. Best wishes my friend.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 11 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

dang it IS, you are on a bad run right now.

your hunting friends offer our sympathy....
Job 2:11
Now when Job’s three friends heard of all this adversity that had come upon him, they came each one from his own place, ..................; and they made an appointment together to come to sympathize with him and comfort him.

and acknowledge that there will always be tragedy in life
“See, I have set before you today life and prosperity, and death and adversity; in that I command you today to love the Lord your God, to walk in His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that you may live and multiply, and that the Lord your God may bless you in the land where you are entering to possess it.Deut 30:14-16
easeup

Postby Lark Bunting » 11 23, 2013 •  [Post 4]

So sorry to hear of your trouble. Good thoughts sent.
Lark Bunting

First Name: Tom
Last Name: S

Postby elkmtngear » 11 23, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Thanks Joe. It really helps put things in perspective. Sorry for your loss.
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby Indian Summer » 11 24, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Thanks guys.

Perspectives... funny how they can be so different. You can be sitting in your tent listening to the rain pounding the tarp and 1 guy will say man this just plain sucks while the other says when this lets up they're really going to be hot. I guess it's the half empty/half full cup ways of looking at things.

I admire positive thinkers. I'm a realist and I don't candy coat things. If something really sucks then it sucks. When things get really bad I tell myself... and I've said this since I was a little kid, one day this will all be a thing of the past. There's no disputing that. Time is the best healer in many situations.

I already know 2014 is going to be a rough one for me. I've decided I want a degree. That means LOTS of sacrifices. Namely quite possibly no elk hunting. I can't believe I'm saying that. I still haven't come to terms with the thought but it's true. Also no Canada bear hunting, no Canada muskie fishing, no Sturgis, and the list goes on. On top of all that I foresee tough times as my mother's Alzheimer's progresses. That thought trumps all the other ones.

I do want to write that book. I've had hoards of clients tell me there's no question I need to do it. Some day. It'll be in the educational humor section. :lol:

So now I have to ponder the positives. I guess I'll be doing some serious whitetail hunting. Next time I hunt elk I'd imagine I'll appreciate it a whole lot more. In the end I'll have an education that will hopefully buy me the time and freedom to do the things I really want to. In the meantime I'll be hanging out here. Admittedly jealous but at least I'll get glimpses of elk country and the stories good bad & ugly that go with it. I love them all. Maybe I'll draw a Pennsylvania elk license!..... yeah right.

The story above is devastating but that's what it took for me to look at things in a better light. I've been pretty depressed lately with not much to look forward to. Crazy how something so sad served to lighten my mood. I really do appreciate the kind words here and on the other thread about my dog passing.

Great people on this site!

Apologies for the gloomy threads.
Indian Summer

Postby ORelksniper » 11 24, 2013 •  [Post 7]

No need to apologize, IS. It's rough times you're going through. Remember, you always have your extended family to talk to. We're here when you need us.
ORelksniper

Postby Swede » 11 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Joe: As Sniper said, you have nothing to apologize for. Sometimes these threads just get weird. You not elk hunting just seems crazy. As usual I realize I have taken things for granted and made some totally wrong assumptions. I figured you would always be out in the elk woods in September. I thought if I ever get restless, and want some new scenery, I could always call and you could pack me into some remote tree stand. I applaud your decision to go back to school. What are you planning to get your degree in? Are you sure the elk can manage without you patrolling the mountains of Montana throughout the Summer and Fall?
You know it is out of consideration for the elk, in the area I haunt, that I continue to go back and keep them company.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 11 25, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I can't even imagine not elk hunting Swede. Before this year I punched 12 elk tags in a row. I'm freaking out right now because the word is there's lots of bulls moving down in my hot spots in the Bitterroot. I know their routes and even though it's never a slam dunk I'm pretty sure I could punch a tag this week.

School is geared toward the shale drilling/natural gas industry. Integrated Systems Technology. I live on top of the Marcellus shale plate, the biggest in the North American continent. It's booming. Not interested in entry level stuff or travelling around like the gypsies who drill and frack then move on. The whole world of programmable logistics controls which is the brains behind integrated computerized/electrical/mechanical production systems. Almost as complicated as elk hunting. lol It's applicable in any industrial manufacturing but the modern day gold rush is natural gas so I'll specialize in that area. They laugh at me at interviews for enrollment when I tell them my long term goal is to quit my job & do more elk hunting. By then the elk that live due to my absence will be bigger & I'll put an extra chair by my fire ring for you.

And Sniper you are right on the money: You guys & gals are my extended family. Not everyone else understands us right. Glad to know you think that way bud. Enjoy the holiday with those girls you were away from on your hunt earlier this year. :)
Indian Summer

Postby easeup » 11 25, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Indian Summer wrote:.................... They laugh at me at interviews for enrollment when I tell them my long term goal is to quit my job & do more elk hunting. By then the elk that live due to my absence will be bigger & I'll put an extra chair by my fire ring for you.

............ :)

whose laughing?
easeup

Postby Swede » 11 26, 2013 •  [Post 11]

I think a career change is a great idea for the long run. Hunting for your own enjoyment is ultimately the best. Indian Summer, you are an articulate and knowledgeable outfitter. Be sure to take an English comp. class so you can get some fresh ideas for writing. Maybe you can find a publisher there, but don't pay much attention to the editors. Editors are all over the board, and will drive you nuts. I still hope to read your book of outfitter stories, someday.
Swede

Postby Indian Summer » 11 26, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Articulate! That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me. (grin ) Does that sound odd?

What are you Swede a mind reader? I love to write. I cringe at poor grammar & punctuation even on the internet. If I could land a job as an outdoor writer I'd be in heaven! Until then you guys will have to suffer through my long winded posts! In my mind I always imagine some just love to read them and others probably say "Oh Lord here we go again." ha ha

And yes... hunting for a living can definitely take some of the fun out of it.

By the way... your posts got me thinking. Don't count me out for 2014 just yet. I called a career counselor today, because of you , and asked... What if something really important (like elk season) comes up and I need to miss a week? She said if you can work ahead far enough you are permitted to skip a week. It's a self paced program where they give what I consider to be tons of time for each section. The only real problem is that Montana & Wyoming apps have to be in before school even starts so dumping a grand (or 2!) on elk tags would be a gamble at that point not knowing if I could pull it off or not. But if there's one thing that will surely motivate me it's September in the mountains!

I just CANNOT go without elk hunting even for a single year!!!

I can however live without editors. I used to write for a monthly newsletter. I could barely recognize my own material by the time it went to print. An editor's idea of fun I guess. Often there would be errors to top it off!!! Finally I told him look.... you will not find a single type error etc. so slice and dice other people's stuff if you must but I want mine to appear as is!

I do want to write that book. All of my clients and plenty of friends have told me I need to do it. Some day. When I do you'll find it in the educational humor section. :lol:
Indian Summer

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 11 26, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Quote, Indian Summer "By the way... your posts got me thinking. Don't count me out for 2014 just yet. I called a career counselor today, because of you , and asked... What if something really important (like elk season) comes up and I need to miss a week? She said if you can work ahead far enough you are permitted to skip a week. It's a self paced program where they give what I consider to be tons of time for each section. The only real problem is that Montana & Wyoming apps have to be in before school even starts so dumping a grand (or 2!) on elk tags would be a gamble at that point not knowing if I could pull it off or not. But if there's one thing that will surely motivate me it's September in the mountains!"

IS, If you're planning a hunt for fall 2014 and not "working" (can't remember if you guide in both MT and WY), don't sleep on Idaho. OTC tags seldom sell out and seem to be available right up through the start of season. If you haven't spent much time in the Gem state, there are a few of us lurking here that could probably steer you in the direction of a few stinky wapiti. Just saying 8-)
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 11 26, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Indian Summer, if you don't want to scout and set up a camp etc., remember you are welcome to come hunt with me. I have about everything we need. Just bring some groceries, t.p. and your own tooth brush. That covers everything for the digestive tract. I suppose you don't need the t.p., but I draw the line anymore on sharing a tooth brush. When we were younger, my cousin and I would share his tooth brush before we went out with our girl friends on a double date. The funny thing about that is, we did not think anything odd about sharing his tooth brush.
Swede

Postby easeup » 11 26, 2013 •  [Post 15]

you nailed it swede.
I should have known also he liked to write because most of IS posts are in very good detail so as to understand his thought.

now does that mean he likes to talk also?
easeup

Postby Indian Summer » 11 27, 2013 •  [Post 16]

Easeup: yes... to the animals. Don't always answer the phone though.

Thanks for the invites guys. I guess I might need to think outside the box. But it's hard when you know your spots as well as I do. Too much time invested to walk away. Under the circumstances though maybe I'll have to take you up on that.
Indian Summer