Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Plant identification

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Plant identification

Postby Broken arrow » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 1]

When I was in Colorado there was a plant that had big leaves and what looked like a stem that would end up being a full of flowers coming out the center seemed to be everywhere there was a somewhat swampy area/ wallow even at close to 10k. Anyone know what it's called? I've searched online with no success and I would post a pick but I forgot a pic even after I said I was gonna take one! Lol swear in an emergency u could wipe your _ _ _ with it. :D it was the Gunnison region if that helps
Thanks Jason
Broken arrow

Re: Plant identification

Postby Freebird134 » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 2]

Is it something like this? Image

Sounds like a mulen, some people call them indain toilet paper.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Broken arrow » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 3]

Yep looks very much like that. Thanks!
Broken arrow

Postby Freebird134 » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 4]

I'm glad all those plant identification courses finally had some practical use :) I spelled it wrong at first. It's mullein, not mullen. I"m willing to bet you have mullein where you live too. It's in the midwest.

I once had an awesome job watching pronghorn. I was collecting behavioral data for a grad student's dissertation. I once watched a pronghorn buck work his way along a hillside attacking each mullein stalk with his horns. He finally broke one off, and it got stuck across his prongs, kind of like a bowhunter would set his arrow on an antler mount. I tried to get a picture, but it fell off right as I took the picture. I guess when you live in a prairie, mullein is your goto for buck rubs!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Broken arrow » 07 08, 2012 •  [Post 5]

Lol that's funny! Out of all the plants, trees, bear scat, elk sign, elk, etc don't know why but it was the most interesting thing I saw in the mountains like it doesn't fit! Well next to the fat coyote laying in a snow patch under a pine tree at 10,500k at 20ft freaked me out so bad I yelled at it instead of taking a pick! Lol :D
Broken arrow