Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

truck capper top leaks like a sieve.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

truck capper top leaks like a sieve.

Postby pointysticks » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 1]

okay maybe not like a sieve..but my capper top on my tacoma leaks. it leaks from the front corners, from between the capper and the truck rails. it has always leaked since i got the truck used.. saturday, we got hit with a surprise rainstorm, and all my weekend mechanic stuff got wet. i called the manufacturer A.R.E. and the guy said there is a replacement seal kit. he then went on and said it was a self sticking 3M weather kit and i would need to order it from a product vender. this sound right?

would you buy the factory one, or just find a 3M weather strip kit from a auto parts store? think the old strip will be hell to remove?

i have a hog hunt coming up, and i need to sleep in the back of the truck. hate to wake up to a wet bag. anyone do this before? i imagine maybe the factory kit comes with the gasket in the correct shape. (i.e. i dont have to bend tight radius at the corner)
Attachments
tacomalift.jpg
tacomalift.jpg (59.51 KiB) Viewed 1323 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: truck capper top leaks like a sieve.

Postby Indian Summer » 09 23, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Hmmm, I like ARE caps. Water under the topper sucks!

I wouldn't by any specialized product with a specialized price. The rolls of 3M strip from the parts store work fine. Just take your time where the front tape meets the sides making sure there's no gap or overlap.

If you really want to "seal the deal" lol & don't plan on removing the top you could run a small bead of silicone caulk on top of the tape before you drop the topper back on it.

Good luck on the hogs Pointy.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Re: truck capper top leaks like a sieve.

Postby pointysticks » 09 24, 2013 •  [Post 3]

well..i apparently i am a..how do i put this? not so smart. :D

i had taken off my top before to load up soil. i kinda marked it and put the top back in the same position. the wrong position. i took it to my local friendly ARE shop to look for seals. he took on look and then said..you have the wrong top.
WHAT!! we ran the number and it was the right top, but it was installed (by me) out of square and not pushed forward enough. the front seal only had half in contact to hold out water. duh!! he picked it up with a fork lift and cleaned everything. he resealed it and installed it correctly.

should do it. if i have some time, i am gonna spray it with my hose.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l