Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Mixed Emotions this morning

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Mixed Emotions this morning

Postby Vanish » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 1]

We closed on a house this past Friday (yay emotions up!), so you know I haven't been able to do the typical scouting this year. My elk planning this year has been thrown completely out the window. This morning I called on an update on the roads in our area, and our spot went from opening this weekend to closed for the whole season. This same road has both our Plan A and Plan B access points. I called my father with the news and asked about our Plan C, as he has been scouting for us this year. It burned last week.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Re: Mixed Emotions this morning

Postby cnelk » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I hear ya...
One of my areas was closed for hazard tree logging a couple years ago.
I didnt get back to some of my spots for 2 years
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 3]

just as well. you got some:

weeding, painting, cleaning, scrubbing, chaulking, snaking, mowing, pruning, window washing, boxing, unboxing, sweeping, edgeing, trimming, taping, sanding, wiring, plumbing, window washing, organizing, furniture shopping, donating, etc..

to do!! congrats on your house!! :D :D/ (it never ends)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Vanish » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I did about 40 different chores this weeked :D Most of the time was spent removing popcorn ceilings and re-texturing it. Nothing is going to stop me from hunting this weekend though!
Vanish

Postby Indian Summer » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Keep your chin up Vanish. When I have to overcome one problem after another I look at it as paying the price. Maybe this is the beginning of the story of a great season where nothing could stop you and you killed your elk despite all else. Pick a spot on the new walls!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Backcountry » 08 26, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I feel ya! My wife and I bought a house at the end of May. I finally found a new spot that is rich with sign only to have it closed off from a massive fire in the past week. I doubt it will open before the end of September, still an option but.....

I have been scouring maps since and have picked up some solid spots, I think. I really need horses, though. Everything is 3-5 miles in and I hunt solo. Not entirely possible. Have to just keep rolling the dice!
Backcountry

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Barnett

Postby easeup » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

congrats on the new place Vanish.
Here is to a home a peace and happiness for all who enter it!
easeup

Postby Lefty » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 8]

The guy that got me into archery just sold their house. They moved into a new home Saturday. Closed on their old house Thursday,,, he plans to head to camp as soon as the papers are signed and hunt Friday,.
So it can be done :shock:
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Vanish » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Lefty wrote:The guy that got me into archery just sold their house. They moved into a new home Saturday. Closed on their old house Thursday,,, he plans to head to camp as soon as the papers are signed and hunt Friday,.
So it can be done :shock:

Its not about closing on the house, its about also having to pick a new camp location within a week of the season. Really feel for the guys that had their units burn last year! I think we've got a plan though!
Vanish

Postby dotman » 08 27, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I feel your pain, last year one of my favorite spots burned up, should be good again in another year or two.

My wife and I house hunted for 2 months, finally found "the" house and the seller just acted like he didn't want to sell. After 2 weeks of negotiations and hair pulling we finally settled on a price but it put our requested 30 day close right at the door of my elk hunt in ID with Phantom16. Told the wife sorry but we are moving close back to Oct 2nd. Just finished up inspections and everything. When you add buying a home to the normal course of life it seems like it drains you. I don't feel I'm where I need to be or had the focus I usually have for the up coming hunt but priorities and family come first.

So off I'll go, kill the biggest elk in ID and come back to closing on a house and then have to start looking for a renter for the current property.

You'll find a new place and explore some new country this year, just chalk this year up to all new experiences :)
dotman

Postby Vanish » 08 29, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Stuff is all in the house, now to get it organized to take back out! I'm getting excited about ELK now!
Vanish

Postby twinkieman » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 12]

The same thing happened to us this year(except for the new house). We got burned out of our entire unit, with plan A,B,andC. We exchanged our tags, and are hunting somewhere entirely new to us. We travel 700 miles, so scouting is not an option. I have been going over maps, and Google Earth every day. I am hopeful that the area we will be hunting this year, might even be better then the last. Congrats on the house, and good luck on whatever you decide to do for your hunt.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Lefty » 09 04, 2013 •  [Post 13]

[quote="VanishIts not about closing on the house, its about also having to pick a new camp location within a week of the season. Really feel for the guys that had their units burn last year! I think we've got a plan though![/quote]

I understand that aspect.
Last year over 100000 acrers in the unit I hunt was burned 2 weeks before the season and I did hunt a different area.
Having a B plan will certianly help
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H