Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

I usually don't cuss, but.....

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

I usually don't cuss, but.....

Postby pointysticks » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I was going into a meeting, locked doors, slammed it...all while wondering if that jiggling sound I just heard was the keys coming out of my pocket. Yup.

Argh! Now I wait for AAA. What a day. Been 10 years since I locked myself out. It was a good run :)
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: I usually don't cuss, but.....

Postby mtnmutt » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Your bad luck will soon be behind you. Good luck and magical things happen to us once we hit the elk woods. Its coming soon.

Hope AAA arrives quickly.
mtnmutt

Postby elkmtngear » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

You're doing it right...getting the bad luck out of the way before September!

Hang in there Cliff!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby ElkNut1 » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Cliff, Cliff, Cliff!!!!! LOL!

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby pointysticks » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

okay, that was painless.

a pro with a slim jim is amazing. it took him two seconds to get in. he gave me tips, should i try to make my own slim jim.

man..if i dont lock my keys in my truck for the next 10 years, it will be too soon. i hate the embarrassment of it all.. it is so clear to everyone around the second it happens. hahahha..

i think i am done with the dumb luck stuff. i just need my bowsight back and then i can relax.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby twinkieman » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Better to do it now, and not when you park your truck at a hunting location, slim jim guy might be hard to find in the mountains. :D
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby cnelk » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Bad Luck always gets more attention than Good Luck.....
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby mtnmutt » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 8]

twinkieman wrote:Better to do it now, and not when you park your truck at a hunting location, slim jim guy might be hard to find in the mountains. :D

You would be surprised. You just need a cell phone to reach them (AAA) and they would come as long as it is safe to travel to your location. That is why I have them. I only call them about every 5 years, but its worth it when you have 11 and 15 year old cars that have check engine lights come on unexpectedly.

I only once locked out of a car and it wasn't even my car. Dang auto door locks on passenger side and driver left key in ignition to switch drivers. I did not have those new fangle door locks on my lil car (manual door locks), so how was I to know it caused all locks to lock? :oops: Lil mountain town on a Sunday evening. No problem. There within an 45 minutes coming from another small mountain town 25 miles away.

BTW: Sometimes these small mountain towns' fire fighters will provide vehicle lockout help. Some do it for free and others do it for a fee. However, they won't travel to your remote spots because it takes them away from their territory of service.
mtnmutt

Postby LckyTylr » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 9]

For my 12th birthday, my Dad told me that he would take myself and 3 of my friends to a fishing derby in Upstate NY. It was an awesome gift and I was very excited. We threw all of our gear into the Van, hooked up the camper and made the 2 hour drive to the river where the derby was held. As we were only a few miles from the camping area, a downpour ensued like we hadn't seen in years. My dad made a plan of attack as we neared our campsite, myself and each of my friends had very specific tasks and sequences so that we could get the camper popped up and sealed as quickly as possible so that everything wouldn't get soaked. My dad asked "Okay, does everyone know what they need to do?" "Yes!" we eagerly replied. "Okay, go on 3 . . . 1, 2 . . . 3!". We all jumped out and ran to our positions in the monsoon. With the van still running and hooked up to the trailer, my job was to operate the crank at the tongue. I got the crank down to the ground just as my Dad came around to take the lock off of the hitch. Fumbling for his keys in each pocket, I'll never forget the expression on his face as he realized that the keys were in the ignition and the doors were locked. So, we couldn't unhook the camper as we didn't have the keys, so we couldn't set up the camper as it was too close to the van to pull the beds out. If we couldn't pull the beds out, we couldn't secure the top from crashing down. There we stood, getting soaked in the rain with only the sound of the rain beating down on the camper top and the soft drum of the van exhaust. The magnitude of our situation was sinking in on my dad and all of us. We were the only people in the camping area, this was before everyone had a cell phone in their pocket, and we were stuck in the cold rain (and it WAS COLD). Just then my Dad's face transformed into one of home. I turned to see what he was looking at just as he yelled "RUUNNN!!!". There was a Sheriff just turning out of the campground and about to pull onto the highway back to town. There were 4 young boys and one old man stampeding through the puddles, screaming and hollering at the top of our lungs and waving our arms about frantically trying to get his attention. He kept driving, pulled onto the road and was completing his turn. My despair was peaking as I thought we had lost our opportunity. Just as he straightened out his Explorer, he must have seen us in his rearview mirror as we saw brake lights. Whew!!! He quickly picked the locks and had us on our merry way. He even gave us his newspaper from that morning to start a fire.

Don't feel to bad, it happens to everyone at least one. :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby Wapitibob » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 10]

A .99 cent caribener with an extra key, clipped over a fuel line will save you lots of angst.
Wapitibob