Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Freakin the eff out.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Freakin the eff out.

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Saturday evening, I was at a buddy's house, having a guys night, and we all brought our bows to shoot, wager a few bucks here and there, and when it was my turn, from 29 yards kneeling and shooting through an opening in the bushes, I let one fly, and fly it did, sailed over the top by about 3 feet, into some real thick brush. Everybody got a kick out of it, until I knocked another arrow, and it did the same thing, another arrow gone. I shot Saturday morning, and was sticking groups in a 8" circle at 55 yds, pretty good for myself. I adjusted my sights, over and over again, and my arrows are going everywhere. All of us together, 6 legit bowhunters, could not figure this out. I just got it tuned and a new string about a month ago, and it was shooting great, and now, I have no idea what is going on. We video'd me shooting, to see if I was being erratic and pulling or jerking or something new, but I wasn't, and now I'm freaking out. I shot again last night, from 20 yards, and I can't get 2 consecutive arrows within 10-12" of one another. 2 weeks from right now Ill be pulling into a trailhead and heading out for a week, assumedly with my bow, and I cant even function because I dont know what I'm gonna do. I cant afford a new bow, and my bow tech guy is out til Wednesday. Anybody ever had anything like this happen before??????
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Re: Freakin the eff out.

Postby cnelk » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Is your peep tied in?

Do you have timing marks on your cams? Is your string aligned with them?
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Cnelk, My peep is tied into the string if that's what you mean. My cam is marked, and everything looks lined up, but I'm no tech, I'm hoping on Wednesday that my guy can make a minor adjustment, or I am going to have to ask a buddy to borrow a bow I think.
Mikeha33

Postby Huntography » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Mikeha33 wrote:Cnelk, My peep is tied into the string if that's what you mean. My cam is marked, and everything looks lined up, but I'm no tech, I'm hoping on Wednesday that my guy can make a minor adjustment, or I am going to have to ask a buddy to borrow a bow I think.

Any change in your anchor point or release?

Rudy
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby cnelk » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 5]

What kind of rest are you using?
cnelk

Postby mtnmutt » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I got new string and cables 3 weeks ago. Initial tune was fine. After shooting 150 arrows, I noticed fishtailing. Went for its 2nd tune. All seemed good after the 2nd tune. Peep alignment was good. 50 arrows later, I notice the fletching is hitting the arrow rest. Retimed the arrow rest and all is good accept the target panic I developed while all this was happening.

The night it was fishtailing, I was wearing a rain jacket and it was raining. Initially, tech thought the string was hitting the jacket. Paper test revealed a tuning issue.

Before the new string, I was shooting great. Days at blind bale shooting and one arrow per target is starting to tame my recent TP.

It is extremely nerve racking to go through this so close to the season.
mtnmutt

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I had that happen a couple times. Once the darn thing blew up in my face, bust a limb. Second time, took the thing to three different shops two new sets of strings and cables till somebody finally saw a small crack in limb. Ripped my shoulder apart trying to figure it out.
So as you find the issue don't mess up your shoulder!!!
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby G Posik » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Mike- DO NOT freak out. Let a tech look at your bow. They will find the problem. Most likely some thing easy and quick. Even if a limb, with warranty should be a quick turn a round.

Mtnmutt the blank bale can be your friend. In the trad game it is your best friend and worst foe. When you are working form and takings step back after a good shot only(Perfect form). If not back to the 3 yard line. So. When you go for m the 3 to 27 and mess up. Start all over!
G Posik

First Name: Glenn
Last Name: Posik

Postby bnsafe » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 9]

YES, I had the exact same thing happen to me. I paid money for custom strings from a very well known maker. bow was tuned awesome and I was very happy, shootin lights out out to 65. then one day the groups started movin, I adjusted my sights, next day group moved, I adjusted, etc for about 2 weeks. and I was shooting ALOT every day. finally took it out to the local guy and had him look at it. he immediately says the nock isn't even close and started readjusting everything, I was freaking out to after I had just paid a really good pro to do it. anyway, he adjusted everything and we went out to shoot. on the second shot the STRING BROKE half draw. turns out there was a burr on the cam and it didn't like the new strings, a different thickness or something I guess. but it sure enuf cut the strings and everytime I shot it musta been changing. good luck with whatever you figure out.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Indian Summer » 08 19, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I'm freakin the eff out and it's not even my bow! lol

I can only think of two things. String is still stretching, doubtful. Or if you are using a drop away rest make sure it is dropping in time as it should be. Since you shot high though not so sure that could be the problem. When shooting high I'd sooner look at the nocking point which can also be affected by a string settling in.

Man... best of luck with that.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby tdiesel » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Have the bow checked out before shooting it any more the other night we were almost doing the same thing my friends dad pulls back at 40 shoots about 2 ft low nobody said anything then about four more shots about 2ft low he moves up to 20 pulls back and pow top limb broke he is pretty bummed to say the least .
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (189.85 KiB) Viewed 9727 times
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Postby mtnmutt » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 12]

G Posik: Thanks for the detailed information. cnelk gave me similar advice last week. At first, I was slightly too pigheaded to follow through on it. Spent 2 days doing blind bale and then thought I was good, but I wasn't. Last night, I did well at <15 yards but 20 yards is iffy. In July, I was shooting great out to 30 yards. My ethical effective hunting distance is out to 25 yards. Going to stay at the lower distance until the TP is gone. Don't need TP while an elk is standing in front of me.

Mikeha33: I hope your tech found your issue. Keep us posted.

All these limbs exploding in the last month makes me cringe.
mtnmutt

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 13]

OK, so last night I after supper I went out and shot, trying to be real relaxed and nonchalant, and my first arrow from 20 missed high and right by about 12". I also noticed that my string has turned, and that my peep has turned 90*, so I was having to look through my strings through my peep. I compensated without adjusting pins, and arrow #2 went down and to the left, barely catching the target. No consistency whatsoever. I almost threw my bow. I was sick. I called a buddy that wasn't shooting with us Saturday, and he came over real quick, said he could tell I was a mess. He watched as I sprayed 5 more arrows all over the place, and he told me to stop shooting, that he thinks I must have a cracked limb. I went over it with a fine tooth comb, and couldn't see or feel anything. Next, he walked to his truck, grabbed his bow, which is his baby, a Mathews Helim, put it in my hand, and said, "screw your bow, just take this". And he was serious. We are almost identical build, with his draw 1/2" shorter than mine, so it fit me well. So, that's my plan. I'm going to drop off my old bow tomorrow anyways, and let my guy go through it, but just going to focus on getting acquainted with my "new" bow, for the next 2 weeks.
I have had my bow for 5 years, and I don't remember how long it took me to get acclimated to it, but I sure hope 13 days is enough, b/c I don't know what other options I am going to have.
Mikeha33

Postby cnelk » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 14]

You will like the Helim :)
Wont take you long to get used to it either.

Start close, close your eyes and just shoot blank target for a few.
Dont rush it.
The gradually move back from the target. Start aiming at bulleyes

In about 2 days it will be your new best friend
cnelk

Postby twinkieman » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Good for you, a second bow really seems to be your best option, as something IS going to break on your first bow, most likely a limb.
twinkieman

First Name: marc
Last Name: anderson

Postby Bowhunter » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 16]

The good news is you will be fine with the Helim. The bad news is you will be looking for a new bow when you get back :) Good luck and you have plenty of time to get used to her.
Bowhunter

First Name: Terry
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. I tried everything imaginable. I final figured out that somehow my sight housing got tweaked at a slight angle and the pins were not lined up vertically. Sent the sight to BG and they sent me a new one. Problem solved.

Sometimes you just have to think outside the box on some of these problems.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby pointysticks » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 18]

tell your friend that i think he is a good man.

what a wonderful friend..if he lived closer, i'd invite him over for dinner and some drinks.

you are gonna like that Helim. careful tho. that backwall, is just the tinest bit behind the vaaaaaalllllleeeeeyyy... you relax mentally, and that bow will want to launch that arrow for you. you gotta pay attention and maintain your back tension.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Bullnuts » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Are you shooting field points or broadheads? Are you getting rest contact with your fletching? Is your bow still in specs A/A and brace height?
Check your vanes on your arrows for any indication that they are hitting the bow. Also spray some foot powder on the rest and arrow shelf and shoot an arrow to see if you're making contact. Next put a level on your arrow shaft and check your nock point. It should be level to 1/8" high. Your arrow shaft should also intersect the berger button hole.

Erratic arrow flight typically means contact with something, which could be caused by stretch in the string/cables or, if the cables have stretched and you're using a drop away rest, your rest may not be falling in time to allow the fletching to clear. Your rest should be fully up in the last 1/8-1/4" of draw.

You should also check your strings and cables for broken strands. A broken strand means a broken string - unusual for a new string but you never know.
Bullnuts

Postby pointysticks » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 20]

oh..i want to punt.

i call string stretch. to the point where the nock point moved (arrows flying high?) down..(rest up) sending the arrows up and right. i bet a strand is broken somewhere..maybe.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Bullnuts » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 21]

I would definitely agree with stretch. Broken strands suck, especially when they break under the serving and you can't see the damage, but typically a broken strand will send the arrow downward instead of up, so I'm going with stretch or fletching contact. I would check that stuff first before you start looking at broken limbs or start freaking over major possibilities. With your bow only being 5 years old it's probably something pretty simple.
Bullnuts

Postby Mikeha33 » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I am shooting broadheads. I am also shooting a whisker biscuit, which I always have. I suppose the string could have stretched, but it is literally less than 45 days old, and it got a complete tune-up. I didn't go with the Mathews string though, I opted for a Vapor-lite, which I have heard is a good string. If the arrows were flying consistantly one direction or another, I would attribute that to stretch, or my loop moving, but the flight is so erratic from arrow to arrow, that I can't say that either one of those are the culprit. I am going to take it in tomorrow, but honestly, for the time being, I dont have enough time to worry about it until after I get back, before the KS rut hits hard. I am going to take the Helim, and take my bosses Hoyt as a back-up, so I'll be OK, (I hope) for my trip.

I appreciate all the help, and I'll for sure keep everyone posted as to what my guy finds out.
Mikeha33

Postby Bullnuts » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Ah, shooting broadheads! Now I'm really starting to think that something is out of wack with the rest. Whisker biscuits are good rests, but they have to be square so that you are getting the same amount of contact as the arrow pushes through. Check your arrow level and you'll probably find that you're off a bit. The next thing is bow torque. If you are turning that bow, even a little bit, you're going to send the arrow off into the stratosphere at the shot.

Have you tried shooting a field point? You should try that, see where it ends up, and then you can start walk back tuning.
Bullnuts

Postby bnsafe » 08 20, 2013 •  [Post 24]

im still sayin its the new string. not good when they break. keep us up to date on whats wrong with it. will be a good learning experience for all.
and, I will say, you have a great friend. not many guys have one true friend but a lot of aquaintenances. well done.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby aron » 08 21, 2013 •  [Post 25]

Have you tried fieldpoints recently to see what results you are getting with them or shooting through paper? Any tuning issue is going to be magnified with broadheads.
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby Wapitibob » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 26]

Peeps don't turn for no reason....something's moving.
Wapitibob

Postby Bullnuts » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Wapitibob wrote:Peeps don't turn for no reason....something's moving.

The new string needs about 100-200 shots before it's shot in so it's not unusual to see some stretch and rotation. A re-tune will probably clear up the issue at this point.
Bullnuts

Postby GetemDuck » 08 22, 2013 •  [Post 28]

Have you checked for nock pinch? You are looking for something that changes with every shot, so I'd rule out arrow rest (unless it is loose) and string (unless you are changing your anchor point) because those would cause a group shift but you are not grouping at all. So I'm wondering about your string loop set up is it a simple string loop with no nock sets or do you have a nock set inside the loop? if you run just the loop with no nock set then maybe your string is shifting causing nock pinch or some weird pressure.

you have a string pushing and arrow you have a rest holding and arrow you have a sight aiming an arrow sounds simple find which one is not doing it's job.....oh but if only that was the case.

Let us know what you find out.
GetemDuck

Last Name: W