Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

should i buy

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

should i buy

Postby bnsafe » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 1]

do you guys get a b list cow tag or just use your either sex.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: should i buy

Postby cnelk » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If you buy a B list cow tag, its guaranteed you will see the the biggest bull you have ever seen, within easy bow range.

Choose wisely ;)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby mtnmutt » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I buy both so I have 2 yummy tags to eat on October 1st.

My plan is to shoot the first legal elk minus a calf or cow with calf. If my 1st is an anterless, its nice to already have that tag and not waste an either sex tag on a cow. My plan has not played out yet, but I am much more hopeful this season than past seasons. The tag is much cheaper than most of my camping/hunting purchases this year, so the extra dollars are only a small fraction of my hobby's dent to the checkbook.
mtnmutt

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I buy both so I have 2 yummy tags to eat on October 1st.
Mtnmutt. Now that's funny.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby FemoralArchery » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 5]

mtnmutt wrote:I buy both so I have 2 yummy tags to eat on October 1st.

That's a good one. A double batch of tag soup tastes better anyway.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby bnsafe » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 6]

that's what I was thinking, buying a b list so if I shot a cow early with my b tag I would still have my either sex to hunt during the rut. is that not right on the b tags. also, can you only have one b tag, so if I did I would not be able to buy a rifle tag. im assuming they are a different thing, at least that's how im reading it. im prob wrong again with my interpretation of Colorado laws. seems I havnt been right in how im reading them so far. in mo archery and rifle tags were sep and had no affect on each other or what you could take.
bnsafe

Postby mtnmutt » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 7]

You can do either of these for elk:
A + B
Or
B + B

You can have unlimited list C.

If you want rifle, only get one elk tag for archery. I do not know of a case where you can exchange if you don't fill it, so don't think that way. Some people may say that to you but it is not true in CO for adult tags. The youth have different rules for unfilled tags but got stricter this year.
mtnmutt

Postby otcWill » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 8]

If you can get an extra tag in your unit then by all means get one. Unless you wouldn't want two elk, it's a no-brainer!
otcWill

Postby bnsafe » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 9]

so if I get the second b list tag for elk I can not get a rifle tag correct. so if you get a either sex archery you cant get a otc rifle tag. sorry, just seems weird and so different to me. sounds like I had better stick with my either sex otc and maybe get a rifle tag. I know when you have grown up with these rules they seem simple, but when you grew up with a different set it can get confusing learning the new ones.
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Here are your options...

1 - E/S archery tag AND 1 - B List cow tag [same season]

1- B list Cow tag [any season] and 1- OTC Bull rifle tag [different seasons]

2 - B list cow tags [same seasons or different seasons]

1 - OTC rifle bull tag and 1 - B list cow tag [same season or different seasons]

In a nutshell = you may have only ONE opportunity to shoot a bull, using the general seasons or application process.

Years ago it was much easier when you could only buy one elk tag. That was before the elk population grew....
cnelk

Postby bnsafe » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 11]

thanks brad, I kinda thought that but wasn't sure. now I just gotta decide which way to go with it. im thinking a es tag and a cow tag, both archery. then focus on getting my son an elk with a rifle.
again, I apologize for my lack of understanding the Colorado rules. they are just a lot different than what im used to. I almost forgot to take the light off my bowsite today when I was getting ready for antelope thurs.
bnsafe

Postby cnelk » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Not a problem Scott.
Ive been trying to memorize the CO regs for decades... :)

Youre doing it right to take your son out on his own tag.
Just wait til you see him shoot his 1st elk.
I did just that last fall
cnelk

Postby bnsafe » 08 13, 2013 •  [Post 13]

yep, my daughter shot her first turkey when she was 8. he was in full strut 5 yds from us and she wouldn't shoot. he finally took off running an she shot and hit him. I have no idea how, but wow what a moment. best of my hunting life, and ive had a few to remember. she has killed several since then and a ton of deer, love her first bow kill. my son shot his first whitetail two years ago but we never got him a turkey. but a antelope thurs would be a nice start. :D
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 08 14, 2013 •  [Post 14]

well right wrong or indifferent I bought my son a b list rifle tag for first rifle season and a bull tag for the second rifle season. and I have a es tag an cow tag for archery. last thing I want is four elk down though, lol. not sure I can pack out one by myself.
bnsafe