Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

kwik shooter

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

kwik shooter

Postby ctdad » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I bought the kwik shooter (think half priced hooter shooter) this last winter. I've been using it to help me tune my bow. It shoots the same every time and never gets tired. It is definitely a luxury item and not "necessary", but I will say that it has increased my confidence in my setup. In years past, every time I had a bad shot or a bad day shooting, I would want to blame my equipment. Of course, the problem is me but human nature is to blame something else. This device removes all doubt. It also doubles as a draw board as well which is handy for cam timing, etc.

Just wanted to share in case any of you have ever considered such a purchase. I'm happy with it.
ctdad

Re: kwik shooter

Postby buglmin » 07 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I spend lots of time with a Hooter Shooter, and learned a lot about arrows and arrow spine. I even put my recurves in the shooting machine!!
buglmin

Postby Triplebhunters » 07 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Thinking about having my bow shot thru a hooter shooter and tweeted in. So I ask. Educate me in what questions to ask and steps to take. Thanks.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

Postby ctdad » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

First thing I do is get my ATA and BH as close to factory specs as I can. Then I make sure the cam timing is good to give me the best valley possible (I shoot a hoyt). Then I get my bow shooting as good as I can with it in hand first. Then, I put it in the shooter and shoot field points and broadheads to make sure they are hitting same hole out to 40 yards (with fixed blade broadhead). At 40 yards, if a broadhead is off 2 inches from a field point, the adjustment to the rest is about 1/64 of an inch or less. When shooting my bow in hand, if I'm off an inch here or there, I always assume that is just human error. Once I have done this, my confidence is much higher when shooting. I know for certain that any and all bad shots are 100% human error so I'm not worrying about my equipment performing. Then I can focus on form and leave my equipment alone....because I like to tinker.
ctdad

Postby JGH » 08 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Sounds like a very useful set up ... tuning would be much more reliable, and quite a bit easier.

The other advantage I see is this: One could tinker easier.

I have a tendency to avoid any and all tinkering once things get dialed-in, which is unfortunate. I might want to try a new arrow, a new broadhead, or a new draw weight.

I looked at the price ... hmm ... maybe next year.
JGH

First Name: John
Last Name: Haeberle

Postby Triplebhunters » 08 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Ctdad, JGH. Thanks. There is a shop about an hour from me that will tune it on a Hooter Shooter for 40 bucks. Price isn't terrible.
Triplebhunters

First Name: Dave

kwik shooter

Postby pointysticks » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Ctdad. How do you aim a bow being shot from that? I've used a hooter before and I was shooting at a wall of targets at 20. It didn't work because my QAD knob was touching. I think. We just used it to shoot thru paper.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby ctdad » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I use the revolution rest and it doesn't contact. The handle that holds the bow is adjustable and I have had one qad rest in the kwik shooter. I just put the bow in, crank it back and then look through the peep to aim. Not difficult.
ctdad

kwik shooter

Postby pointysticks » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 9]

ctdad wrote:I use the revolution rest and it doesn't contact. The handle that holds the bow is adjustable and I have had one qad rest in the kwik shooter. I just put the bow in, crank it back and then look through the peep to aim. Not difficult.

Great! Now I want one.
pointysticks

Postby JoeH2o » 08 03, 2013 •  [Post 10]

90% of shooting is human error.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby ctdad » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 11]

JoeH2o wrote:90% of shooting is human error.

I totally agree with this and know that it is true. Even with that knowledge, I still tend to want to fiddle with my equipment when things aren't going well while practicing. I used the kwik shooter to get things set where I want them and now I'm focusing my attention on my form for the next 6 weeks until my elk season starts.

I said in the first post that this piece of equipment isn't necessary (and it is expensive) but I was just sharing how I've enjoyed using it in case someone else was ever considering owning one.
ctdad

Postby pointysticks » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 12]

i like how you can use it for a draw board. you can, right?

my next bow is gonna have TWO cams. i will need to learn how to time them.
pointysticks

Postby JoeH2o » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 13]

I hope I didn't offend you with that statement. I was just saying most all faults are human error, bows, rifles, slingshots, pistols, ect. I'm probably the first to start adjusting stuff if I'm not shooting great that day, but I try to keep myself from moving stuff until I know for sure. I'm sure you could out shoot me hands down because you know your equipment is tuned right. Good luck this season.
JoeH2o
ElkNut Pro Staff

First Name: Clayton
Last Name: Jensen

Postby ctdad » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 14]

No offense taken. I couldn't agree with that comment more.
ctdad

Postby ctdad » 08 04, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Yes it is a draw board bc you can draw the bow to any place you want and it will hold it there. If course, if you only wanted a draw board, you can build one for about fifty bucks. I have one of those too
ctdad