Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

i really want to tag along on a AZ sheep hunt.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

i really want to tag along on a AZ sheep hunt.

Postby pointysticks » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

man. i'm not gonna kid myself. i cant afford it really.

but i am fascinated by all things alaska. i would love to go and help someone hunt a big dall ram. all that alpine country, long glassing sessions..climbing. ice picks!! all exciting to me. flying in on a prop plane..yeehaw!! i love it!

anyone ever actually go on a big time sheep hunt? tell me a story. pics please.

i should put up a Sherpa ad. i would pay my own way.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: i really want to tag along on a AZ sheep hunt.

Postby LckyTylr » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I understand the "can't afford it" thing.

Here's the deal, can you do $50 a paycheck? That's $1,200 / year. In 4 or 5 years, you could do a bare-bones sheep hunt for $4,800 - $6,000.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby pointysticks » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

opps..AZ is arizona..

AK!! my grade school teacher just rolled over in her grave..sorry Ms W!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby buglmin » 07 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

lol...sad to say, but Ive never been bit by the sheep bug. Ive seen hundreds of sheep here in sw Colorado, watched them fight, but never really got that interested in hunting them too much.
A good friend killed a Dall last fall, a brutal wicked hunt that really tore his feet up, phyiscally drained him, and he's in great shape!! Ended up killing his ram with a gun instead of his bow...
Another friend is booked for next fall, says I need to think real hard into going. I look over the pictures from Donnies hunt, and the country amazes me...my big real concern is the fact that I am in the running now for my Colorado sheep and goat tags, and I want these animals more. Then hopefully my moose hunt here, way way back into the Nuche Wilderness...
For me, for now, Im content to stay here, play in the Colorado Rockies chasing big timberline bucks...I'll leave the mountains of Alaska to the younger guys!
buglmin