Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

do you like Solo backpack hunting?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 1]

my deer hunting buddies are weird.

just called them to discuss our deer opener. i wanted to find out what gear we could share..so we all dont have to pack one. they are all over the place and it is looking like i have to have an option open to do this trip solo. they are going, but when and staying how long is unknown.

i want to get up there a full day before the opener so i can grab a great campsite. last year, one guy came up late..but shot a deer ASAP..and left. we never saw him. i like the camaraderie of the hunt as much as the hunt itself.

at the severe risk of my man-card..i admit. i am not to familiar with solo packing..my "Fear" has nothing to substantiate it..and i am 100% sure it is not logical.

any words of wisdom? i just printed Slim's packing list and noticed a few missing items on my own list. i have a month, so i want to pack and weigh everything early.

bring a book and an ipod? hehe. am i just a people person?

my second choice hunting is the complete opposite of this trip. same opening day, but we stay at a house and hunt the property nearby. super hot temps..okay deer, but not alot of them. permission is suspect...we may not get it this year. guy that does this trip is currently on a cargo ship somewhere..and he IS a flake. not dependable at all.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby RockChucker30 » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I went with a buddy last year, but he had to leave after the first night due to a family emergency. We packed out the next morning and I drove him to the airport then went back in alone.

It was a bit of a shock, but I was totally focused on hunting so the loneliness wasn't too bad. Until I killed one. Then I really wished someone was with me.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Re: do you like Solo backpack hunting?

Postby pointysticks » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 3]

RockChucker30 wrote: Then I really wished someone was with me.

i didnt even consider this ^^..
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby mtnmutt » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Yes. 2 yrs ago, I took up backpacking to get deeper into wilderness for hunting. All but one of my backpacking trips has been solo.

I would go backpacking with one other person if they were like minded. I do not like trying to organize more than one person. I have had too many people bail on other activities at the last minute. It got old real fast.

Use an excel spreadsheet to track pack weight and checkoff items you pack.

2 weeks ago, I was lazy and did not follow the checkoff (printer had issues). I forgot 2 items to pack.

Throw extra duplicate items in your truck and do NOT remove anything from your pack after it is packed.

Safety should be of some consideration. I carry a SPOT and try to send an evening text msg to my brother. He has the following info:
County - CO Search and Rescue is by county
Location of vehicle
Estimated date/time of end of trip, ie back at car
General destinations where I am backpacking

Have a blast!
mtnmutt

Postby Lefty » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I dont pack hunt, but I perfer solo hunying. Everything get done my way 8-)
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bnsafe » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I like to solo hunt, but have a buddy with me hunting a different direction. frankly im a little freaked out by the mountains and getting to deep. not scared of anything out there except snakes but don't wanna get lost and just like talking to a buddy when it gets dark, compare notes, and relax.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby LckyTylr » 07 11, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Pointysticks. What state are you hunting?

I hunt solo only because the one guy that would hunt the way I like to hunt moved away after college. I'd prefer to hunt with a buddy, but I go at it solo now. I do enjoy it, but I think it has a lot to do with two things.

How curious are you? (do you always wonder what's in that bowl or on the other side of the ridge?)
How committed to killing an elk are you? If you are committed, you will never have time to wish you had someone there to talk to, you will be scheming and exploring new areas.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby one_elk » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 8]

plain and simple, I just enjoy it...
one_elk

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 9]

If you are a people person, remember, they don't call it the High Lonesome for nothing!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics