Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

camp chef outdoor cooking stoves.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 1]

dang it. i have a block party this weekend i forgot about. i live in a cul-de-sac with a bunch of old people. i had forgotten one year before and had NO food to bring to the party. i was kicking myself in my garage and saw my buddy had left his turkey fryer!! i rallied. ran to costco, bought some frozen french fries and peanut oil. i made garlic fries to go with all the ribs, burgers..and hotdogs.

it was a hit!! the old lady "leader" just called and said they all request fries. something about my youth makes me the perfect fry cook i suppose. i am screwed. my friend took back the fryer a long time ago, and we dont see each other anymore.

i have a Brunton 2-burner camp stove that i modified to use my 20lb propane bottle. dont know if there is enough BTU in that thing to do some serious frying (anyone know?)

at costco last night, i saw a 3 burner camp chef. i googled it, and they make a much smaller 2 burner..and a wonderful 1 BURNER!! i can buy the 2 burner local at a Dick's for $99. does it suck? i figured it would be a great tool at a car camping elk camp.

the 3 burner at costco is enormous!! it comes with a huge square shaped dutch oven. $185.

anyone loving their camp chef stoves? hating them?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: camp chef outdoor cooking stoves.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I have a two burner Camp Chef pedesetal stove for base camp hunting. It's served me well cooking and boiling water for my camp shower set up. I think I paid round 80 bones for it 4 years ago.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Indian Summer » 07 09, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Camp Chef stoves are the go to for a lot of outfitters and DIY hunters with base camps. Very well built. I also have their Camp Chef oven which has a good sized box and burners on top. Love it. You'll be satisfied with their products.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby planebow » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I bought the three burner from Costco a while back. This last week I was on the St. Joe river in Idaho with 8 of us in camp. The stove worked great as I also ordered the grill that goes over 2 of the burners. Cooked almost everything on the grill. It is a gas hog thow even if you never turn it over med. heat. The only bad thing it is HEAVY.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby PAElkchaser » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I own the two burner, Explorer 60. Yes I still call it that, and it rocks. We made fried chicken at trout camp, many said the best they've had. Doesn't say much for our fishing skills though. It's great for frying, heats quickly. I recommend a thermometer. Also have the camp griddle that covers the whole thing, which is also great for making breakfast for a crew. Got it on sale at Cabela's for $89. Worth every penny.
PAElkchaser

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Bitsko

Postby Lefty » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Camp Chef must make 35-45 different models, great stove, great value and price

My father-in Law bought a bunch of prototypes in 1990 (?) Ive used that stove for scout outings, camping, , Crawdad boils, crab boils, , boilling traps , boiling skulls, outside on the deck cooking , making bear suckers, canning foods, frying turkeys 33 years and still a great stove
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby elkaholic » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I bought the two burner model about 8 yrs ago and it is still going strong. I use it for just about everything when I am camping/hunting/fishing. Throws off a lot of heat. Can't remember the BTU rating for each burner..
elkaholic

First Name: Leland
Last Name: Stanford

Postby Indian Summer » 07 10, 2013 •  [Post 8]

planebow wrote:I bought the three burner from Costco a while back. This last week I was on the St. Joe river in Idaho with 8 of us in camp. The stove worked great as I also ordered the grill that goes over 2 of the burners. Cooked almost everything on the grill. It is a gas hog thow even if you never turn it over med. heat. The only bad thing it is HEAVY.

Yes... light they are NOT.
Indian Summer

Postby >>>---WW----> » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I was in the Cabela's bargain cave in Grand Junction yesterday. They had the big one with the oven with a broken burner knob that was damaged in shipment. Regular $239 for $98 bucks. The wife just had to have it. I epoxyed the knob back together and it is back in new condition. We baked some cookies in it last night. Works like a champ!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 07 12, 2013 •  [Post 10]

>>>---WW----> wrote:The wife just had to have it.

WW... master of reverse psychology. Congrats on YOUR new Camp Chef! :lol:
Indian Summer