Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

My first time since Febuary 3rd

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

My first time since Febuary 3rd

Postby Lefty » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 1]

My Rotator cuff has been on the mend.
Lots of PT for my shoulder
Even more encouragement from my recent PT for my hip. Lots of band work.
Tuned up and turned down my bow to 43# . I shot 4 arrows Wednesday. The first three looked good,.. I dont know what I did on the 4th arrow but it went wide. I felt my arm give out as I was releasing the arrow. :oops:
Ill shoot 2 arrows a few times today,.. dang Im pumped to shoot
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Re: My first time since Febuary 3rd

Postby bnsafe » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 2]

good deal lefty. go slow but steady. good luck
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Nice job.
Easy does it tho!
Do exactly what the therapist tells you
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby pointysticks » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 4]

good luck!!

listen to your body. i cant shoot alot anymore, but i still can pull 66lbs. i need a bow with a better valley. my Z7 want to rip my arm off at full draw. not the right bow for me anymore. i want one that holds super easy. maybe an ELITE bow.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkmtngear » 07 05, 2013 •  [Post 5]

pointysticks wrote:good luck!! i want one that holds super easy. maybe an ELITE bow.

Cliff, I just bought an Elite Pure...I am truly in love with this bow. Never shot anything so smooth and quiet, and 63 lbs. seems like 50 something.

I've ordered stiffer limbs because of this...63 lbs was just about my limit with my Martin Warthog. This bow draws smooth as butter, and I think I could pull a lot more draw weight.

Lefty, hope you progress well, hang in there! :)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby mtnmutt » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I am not surprised about the Z7. I have the Mathews Jewel which I believe is modeled after the Z7. I tore my bow shoulder's tendons in January. The shot force and follow thru is hard on the bow shoulder's tendons.

Lefty, Glad to hear you can shoot a few.

I am almost done PT for my shoulder. I shot 54 arrows @50DW twice within a week. This is more than I did before I injured my shoulder. The PT exercises have made a huge difference for my shoulder muscles. They are better than ever. It is 7 months since my injury and the tendons are mostly healed. After the injury, I had to turn my bow down to 47.5DW and only shoot once a week and use lots of ice. Once on the mend, I started turning my DW up a quarter turn (about 0.6 lb) every 2 weeks and shoot <15 arrows after the initial DW increase.

Take it easy.

I am finding that shooting every other day is too much for my shoulder. I am trying to be patient and only shoot every 3 days, but I am anxious to ramp up my practice time with less than 60 days to go for opening day.

I still think your injury is worse than mine. If it stays inflamed between shooting days, it needs more rest and ice. I wish you the best of luck on mending and shooting.
mtnmutt

Postby Lefty » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I shot 4 than an hour later 8 last night
Woke up about 3 AM with a scarey pain in my shoulder.
Ill shoot two here in a few minutes and start putting my ice pack on.
That 4th shot on Wednesday was spooky. Just like a switch was flipped and I lost my ability to hold just for a second
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby bnsafe » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 8]

listen to your body and go slow. good luck
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby pointysticks » 07 06, 2013 •  [Post 9]

elkmtngear wrote:
pointysticks wrote:good luck!! i want one that holds super easy. maybe an ELITE bow.

Cliff, I just bought an Elite Pure...I am truly in love with this bow. Never shot anything so smooth and quiet, and 63 lbs. seems like 50 something.

I've ordered stiffer limbs because of this...63 lbs was just about my limit with my Martin Warthog. This bow draws smooth as butter, and I think I could pull a lot more draw weight.

Lefty, hope you progress well, hang in there! :)

oh man. you are singing my favorite song!! my Elite dealer is 2.5 hours away. brutal. i am pretty sure the bow for me is a 2013 Elite Hunter. i like the ATA length..the crazy long brace height.

i am hoping to buy it for myself this Christmas. my Z7 is brutal to my shoulder. i'll give this (bare) bow away to some needy kid with healthy shoulders.

Lefty..take it easy man!

i have a huge Socket at my office. i bet it weighs 5lbs. fits a 2.5inch nut!! i use it for shoulder exercises. i do that pendulum thing everytime my shoulder gets sore. so far so good.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l