Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

First Scouting Trip

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

First Scouting Trip

Postby LckyTylr » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Was a GREAT Success!!

Last year, I drove my truck to the base of a mountain and then hiked up what seemed like an eternal climb until I reached the saddle where I camped. Then I'd hunt in either direction of the ridge line. Saw plenty of sign and critters until a forest fire booted me for the rest of the season. Did some research and found out that the top ridge trail is open for motorized travel . . . yeeeee haaaa. Took some wandering around to find the right trail head. It led me right where I camped last year . . . PERFECT. :-) Last night I saw a small 4 point mulie. This morning I saw a doe and a fawn, two rag horn 4 point bulls and one decent 5 point all in the same bowl that I hunted last year. Even better news, the trail that I took to get there passes by MILES of old burn area that looks MUCH more "elky" than the bowl that I have been hunting. I can only imagine how this year is going to turn out. Let's hope . . . for ONCE . . . that it's not SCORCHING Hot during the entire month of September so that maybe the bulls won't be so quiet.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Re: First Scouting Trip

Postby Lefty » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I camped out last Sunday night. Monday morning I saw 5 elk right where I never expected to see them. Wide open burned out desert grass.

Gets the blood flowing :P
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Freebird134 » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I"m jealous! Sounds like a great trip! I hate not living in Idaho any more. Scouting is so boring in whitetail country.
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby LckyTylr » 06 30, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Yeah, I nearly fell off the cliff I was sitting on when that 5 point meandered out of the woods. I'm going to have to kick this training into HIGH gear. :-)
LckyTylr

Postby bnsafe » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

tyl hows the shoulder, you gonna be good to go with a bow
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby LckyTylr » 07 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Well . . . after this weekend . . . it WILL be ready for bow season. If ever there was something that would kick my rehab into high gear, this weekend was it! I haven't shot my bow yet, I'm so weary of re-injuring myself that I'm hesitant to draw it back until I'm confident that I won't have any issues. I'm quite positive right now that there won't be any issues, but I'm not leaving anything to chance. I have been dirtbiking easy trails and that's very confidence inspiring because that sport uses the same muscles as drawing a bow. I have to go to NY for 5 days to be in a wedding, and as soon as I get back, I'm turning my bow down to 50 or 55 lbs and will add on 5 lbs per week. I know how quickly I can build muscle and strength once I start, so I'm not worried about that once the season rolls around. I WILL be killing my first bull this year . . . WITH A BOW!!!

:-)
LckyTylr