Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Whitetail hunters. Naming target bucks?

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Postby pointysticks » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I'd end up naming every monster buck "Holy crap! Where's my bow?"

I see regular bucks on my bike rides and I think they are the same ones. I can't think of names for them. There are some creative buck names on TV.

You guys naming any deer?
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Re: Whitetail hunters. Naming target bucks?

Postby BrentLaBere » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I cant say that I name them. We do describe the rack when discussing an encounter or one we have seen on our trail cams. The big 4 with kickers walked by tonight......
I have noticed that as well on the outdoor channel where they name the bucks, for show I guess?
BrentLaBere

First Name: Brent
Last Name: LaBere

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I usually just describe them, and I've never given one a real name. Half tail six, or broken toed ten is about as far as I go.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby LckyTylr » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I have named a few bucks

One was . . . "Aw-Dammit" . . . he never hit the dirt as a result of any projectiles from my weapons.

Then there was . . . "One More . . . Step . . . Crap" . . . kind of a mouthful, but he never got the hint that I wanted him to attend my freezer party.

I believe I named one . . . "Heavy Bastard" . . . He DID die . . . in the bottom of a steep-walled backwater canal full of stagnant water.

I have named a few more . . . but those names are less appropriate than above.

:-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby BarW » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 5]

We name a few of em. I had one 7 pt that I hunted for 6 years that my son named muscles when the deer was about 5 1/2. I think he finally died of old age at 9 or 10. Only a 7 pt never any more pts but his horns got so big around they were almost palmated.
BarW

First Name: Mark
Last Name: Wiggins

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 22, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Only one. NW MT in the mid 80s. My buddy and I called him Egor. He was an enormous non-typical WT monster that between the two of us we saw maybe 5 times. Biggest WT I have ever seen in the wild.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby bnsafe » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

havnt named bucks, we always named our stand locations though so we could easily an quickly let the other guy know where we were goin.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby wawhitey » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 8]

dont exactly name then, but refer to them by a defining characteristic, which kind of turns into a name i guess. big 10 / forked g2s/ scrote throat etc
wawhitey

Postby Mikeha33 » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

We name a ton of different bucks. Here in SE KS, we see a lot of big deer, and most of us run numerous trail cameral year-round, and every couple of weeks, we will get together, and go through and compare each others best pics on a big screen projector, and critique "shooter" or "walker" and come up with names, based on antler characteristics, sizes, distinctive markings, unique pics, etc. My favorite names we have ever come up with were "55", b/c we had an absolute giant, triple-drop tine, palmated, non-typical show up pretty regularly at a 55 gallon barrel corn feeder, and he was wider than the 55 gallon drum by several inches on each side (He was later found dead, in a poachers freezer.) C.O. told me that he grossed over 300". Disgusting.
And "Coon Killer", b/c we had a young, basket-racked 8 pt. that carried around a dead raccoon that he impaled on his antlers (assumedly so) for 4 or 5 days.
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby buglmin » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

My friends in Ohio and Texas name their target bucks...its fun when they tell you they want you to kill "Charlie, or Stubby" if you get the chance, or not to shoot "Dreamer" cause he needs another year or two to really be something...my 165" buck from Ohio a few years ago was called Dammit...
buglmin