Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

elk messing up cameras

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

elk messing up cameras

Postby wawhitey » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 1]

i know a lot of people have bears mess their trail cams up, but anybody have elk do it? i recently went to switch my cards, and found one of my cameras turned around 90 degrees on the tree, and it was in a lockbox, but i forgot to put a padlock on it. i found the front half of the lockbox bent up and 15 feet from the camera. thought somebody tried to steal it. when i looked at the pics there was a yearling cow with half of the lockbox in her mouth, she flipped it around and stomped on it like a kitten playing with a mouse. is this normal? i went around to all my cams with a 5 foot section of ladder and theyre now all 10-12 feet high, so this shouldnt be a problem again. just kind of surprised me.
wawhitey

Re: elk messing up cameras

Postby LckyTylr » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 2]

That's crazy, have never heard of it before.

Let's see some of those pics.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby easeup » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 3]

that's right.
no pics?

didn't happen.......:)
easeup

Postby Vanish » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Oh yeah, have definitely had deer and elk nosing the camera. Not to the extent you describe, but I could imagine it.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby Swede » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Yes, elk are curious and will mess with cameras. I can say it happens to us nearly every year. If they don't touch it you will get a photo of just part of their face, a part of an antler or the like.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Lefty » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Yep
I have gotten eyeball / whisker pictures of bears, fox, coyotes, skunks, dogs, cats, deer and horses
Attachments
PICT0377 (Small).JPG
PICT0377 (Small).JPG (26.1 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
PICT0379 (Small).JPG
PICT0379 (Small).JPG (18.93 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
PICT0406 (Small).JPG
PICT0406 (Small).JPG (28.15 KiB) Viewed 2669 times
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby wawhitey » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 7]

unfortunately i erased the sd card, im kicking myself in the ass for it. after the little cow ripped off the front of the lockbox, she started pulling on the python cable and spun the camera so it was facing right into a bunch of branches and the sunrise, and it took something like 3000 or so pics of the branches, so i just put view instead of import so i could look at the pics first before downloading all that crap into my comp. i then proceeded to put that same card in a diff camera before saving the pics. but she really was acting just like a kitten playing flipping the lock box around and pawing at it. pretty odd. tho i cant put proof of that up, heres a pic of two color phase bear cubs wrestling as a runner up prize. ( unfortunately theyre kind of off screen, if they were a couple feet over the pic would have been way cooler)
Attachments
rsz_1108.jpg
rsz_1108.jpg (230.12 KiB) Viewed 2668 times
wawhitey