Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Crow for Dinner.

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Crow for Dinner.

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 1]

OK, just watched the show "dead meat" on the outdoor channel. They were preparing and eating crow. Not sure if I can take it, but, what do you cats harvest, cook, and eat on a regular basis that is outside of what many consider the norm for wild game. OK, here we go :o
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Re: Crow for Dinner.

Postby Freebird134 » 06 16, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Great thread ;) 'fess up all you 'possum eatin' fools out there! :) I've ate some weird, southern redneck fare in my past, but not on a regular basis. Although the wife does keep trying to push this quinoa stuff on me.......Starting to think I'd rather have crow ;)
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Swede » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Freebird134 wrote:Although the wife does keep trying to push this quinoa stuff on me.

Buck up soldier! That is what is for dinner. I love elk camp where it is meat and spuds instead of those things I have a hard time pronouncing the name of. I too sometimes hate those weird dishes that are supposed to keep me healthy. :D
I ate what was called "monkey meat" in the Philippines years ago. I do not think it was dog or cat, because I never saw any of them there. I am confident they were all made into table fare long before my arrival. It could have been rat for all I know. Anyway I could not recognize it as anything I was familiar with.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Crow for Dinner.

Postby pointysticks » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I've eaten bugs in Southeast Asia. Tarantulas and stuff. I would try anything as long as it is cooked and won't jack my body chemistry. Nothing that blows up my cholesterol, etc.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Vanish » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I used to be a member of a sportman's club. There was this one crazy old guy who lived on a houseboat. He would bring in plates of sausage. They didn't taste like any sausage I had ever eaten, but it was pretty tasty. He claimed it was roadkill ... possum, raccoon, etc.

The world will never know.
Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 6]

when I could trap beavers id clean all the meat off them and make jerky with it. it turned out really good. once and a great while I would find a snapping turtle in one of my 330 conebare traps. id clean it out and deep fry the legs with some breading on them. very good as well
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby wawhitey » 06 23, 2013 •  [Post 7]

i dont currently eat anything odd ( have tried squirrel ) but i would kind of like to try bobcat. dunno why. never have shot one tho, and i dont own any guns small enough for the job. i guess id have to have one randomly walk by while bowhunting, which will probably never happen. or ill have to go buy a smaller gun.
wawhitey

Postby pointysticks » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 8]

^^bobcat would be "out there". i've heard some of my acquaintances love eating cougar (the cat type, not elderly, rich woman type ;)) mostly as chili.

like i said, i would try anything cooked as long as it doesnt jack up my health. (for example, pig brain = heck no! waaaay too much cholesterol)
my wife called my bluff and ordered up this:

for the record, the only thing that was gross and made me want to vomit was the wasp nest. the insides were supposed to be larvae and not almost fully developed wasp. they tasted awful. like rotten paper.

beer! lots and lots of beer.
Attachments
bug3.jpg
bug3.jpg (75.37 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
bug2.jpg
bug2.jpg (69.04 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
bug1.jpg
bug1.jpg (70.85 KiB) Viewed 4000 times
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby elkmtngear » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 9]

jerinmn wrote:when I could trap beavers id clean all the meat off them and make jerky with it. it turned out really good.

I roasted one (beaver) the other day...not too bad ! Sort of Roast Beef- ish.

But, I did soak it in brine overnight, and boiled it in a weak baking soda solution. And bacon wrapped it (of course) ;)

The carrots were freakin' amazing!

Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Note to self. If pointysticks and I every share a camp, he is "exempt" from a turn to cook :shock:
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Lefty » 06 24, 2013 •  [Post 11]

For years I would put up about 200 lbs of beaver meat.I kept most of the loins from adult beaver. I usually made 50lbs of breckfast sausage the rest was fried as steak. side by side I think most people would agree beaver taste better than most cuts of beef. We seldom had to dispose of beaver carcasses, my dad had people lined up to take them
For kicks at parties we would make BBQ hot legs out of muskrats. And some of the people who enjoyed were far from being a redneck and enjoy and liked the meat.
We seldom had to dispose of carcasses, my dad had people lined up to take what I didnt keep
While attending trappers conventions Ive tasted about everything: gator, coyote, coon, possum, skunk cougar, bobcat, Bobcat and cougar were sweet and tender.
The years my brother trapped in Mississippi he and his partner sold all their coon and possum meat. They had people waiting everynight to help skin in exchange for carcasses
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Moose-head » 06 25, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Some salmon eggs mixed in with scrambled eggs is about as 'out there' as I will go. Unless you count cod soaked in lye (leutefisk) every Christmas.
Moose-head

First Name: Dana