Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Please help

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Please help

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I joined the Elknut Forum for three reasons. #1 was because I consider Paul to be a close friend. #2 was because there are some very knowledgeable elk hunters that participate here. And #3 was because everyone has been very respectful of other members.

I left Bowsite and AT because of all the bickerin, argueing, holyer than thou attitude, and sometimes even name calling that goes on over on those sites on what has become a regular bases anymore.

In the past week, I have noticed about three different threads that are close to being in that same classification here on this forum. So please guys, lets do our best to be respectful and helpful to our fellow elk hunters here.

Sharing each others knowledge of what we have learned about hunting elk is the number one reason for all of us being here. Even the most serious and seasoned hunters have picked up a tip or two from some of the rockies on here, I am sure. So please, lets do our best to keep it that way.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Re: Please help

Postby Swede » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I agree with what you are saying. I have no idea about the other two, but I assume Brad's thread on "stepping on toes" was one of them. One difference I see here as opposed to Bowsite, is that there is no name calling or personal attacks. I admit I thought some posts were getting disrespectful. I am all for people disagreeing on things as long as they are respectful. We have differences in opinion and perspectives. Some disagreement can even advance the cause if done right.
I know I am one who will stand up for what I believe is right. I apologize if I have offended anyone in the process.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby wawhitey » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 3]

this forum is a cut above the rest. everythings about hunting. i occasionally go back to the other forums, and after a few days get sucked into peoples crap after reading ignorant political posts that get me angry. i dont see any problem here. kind of hope this forum doesnt get the numbers some others have. rather read a handful of good posts about hunting from experienced people than be on a forum with a bunch of idiots. this is my go to place if i have a question, or just want to lurk and read other peoples conversations. just the fact ive never been banned here is a testament to the quality of conversations on this site. thanks
wawhitey

Postby LckyTylr » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Totally understood.

I must apologize to everyone. In particular, I was one of the first to "bring the heat" in cnelk's "Stepping on Toes" thread. I'm sorry for that. I did not intend to come off as attacking anyone and I hope I didn't come off that way. I should have just left the thread alone and watched, I knew better than that, Elknutforums is NOT the place to start a disagreement.

As we all do, I love this place because of the mutual respect that everyone has for one another. Let's keep it that way. Thanks for keeping us in check. :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby ctdad » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Elknut forum is the perfect place to disagree. Just be respectful and we'll all be better off for the discussion imo
ctdad

Postby bnsafe » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I disagree about disagreeing, :lol:
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby Da White Shoe » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I'm not sure I should be on this site if you need me to agree that purposely shooting an elk in the head is a good idea.

It has nothing to do with me feeling holier than thou... I've made my share of bad decisions. Paid for 'em, too.

This is a site for learning... and not just about calling.

There's no way everyone will agree on every topic.

What to do.... tell me please.
Da White Shoe

First Name: zane

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Da White Shoe wrote:I'm not sure I should be on this site if you need me to agree that purposely shooting an elk in the head is a good idea.

It has nothing to do with me feeling holier than thou... I've made my share of bad decisions. Paid for 'em, too.

This is a site for learning... and not just about calling.

There's no way everyone will agree on every topic.

What to do.... tell me please.

If everyone's thinking the same thing, then someone's not thinking.

I agree with wawhitey, I don't see any problem here.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby mtnmutt » 06 09, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I have been on the internet since 1985 (ARPANET back then). Back then, forums were newsgroups. In the last 15 years, I have seen a extreme deterioration of civil and respectful conversations on the internet. Most of the uncivil words would never ever be spoken to a person in person, so why hide behind your keyboard and type them.

This forum is a cut WAY above the rest. It continues to be a cut above the rest even with the recent discussions. If we do not have controversial discussions, we will not maximize our learning from other people's experiences.

I suggest the following when disagreeing with a post. Read the OP 3 times and read your reply 3 times before posting. This usually catches most instances of poor wording.

Everyone's perceptions are different. What seems not offend, may offend someone. You will not prevent stepping on everyone's toes. The art of constructive criticism is hard to master. I have not personally master this, so this is where my advice ends.
mtnmutt

Postby elkmtngear » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Internet forums should be about opinions, not directives.

I try as hard as I can to leave my postings in the first person, that is, I express how I personally feel about a certain topic. I try to avoid making my opinions the end-all-be-all solution, or saying "you have to do it this way or you are an idiot"

As long as I keep doing this, others can see my posts and think "oh, that guy is an idiot"....and move on ;)

Having to frequent many hunting forums is part of my life due to my business. I have to agree with others when I say, the Elknut Forums are a cut way above the rest...IN MY OPINION ;)
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Great comments guys....Thanks!

If you feel or see some ugly, please PM Paul or myself. Sometimes we get so busy that we don't have time to read every thread.

p.s. I need to appoligize to those that I may have offended with my "will not happen here" comment. Should have done it in a more tactful manor.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 12]

John: I enjoyed your post and your perspective. I have never taken offence at anything on this forum and I have made no attempt to be offensive. Noooow, if you were to say something stupid :D , I would be more than happy to point it out to you, but there is no reason to take offense.
Swede

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Swede - If I say something stupid, I'd hope you would point it out! :)
JohnFitzgerald

Postby Swede » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 14]

John: We all say something stupid. I am sure I would go high on the list. I just hope there is a bit of humor in it so we can all get a good laugh.
Swede

Please help

Postby pointysticks » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 15]

I just remind myself not to take stuff personally. I wouldn't want to belong to a forum that is "Stepford Wives". Name calling isn't cool but I don't mind reading things I don't agree with. Some of you guys are crazy!:D
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby Indian Summer » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 16]

One of my cardinal rules: Don't make it personal and don't take it personal. Name calling is personal.

Flat out telling anyone they are wrong isn't usually a good practice. I like to start with: In my experience...... Experiences are better than plain old opinions, in my opinion. ha ha
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Freebird134 » 06 17, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I agree with everyone that is encouraging respectful discussion. I see no reason we can't discuss, disagree, and learn from everyone, as long as it's always done with respect. However, as much as I agree with WW in regards to avoiding bickering, namecalling and all that childish stuff, my least favorite part of this forum is that sometimes it feels too guarded, bordering on censored at times.

I think this comes as a direct result of one of my favorite parts of this forum: it's a small group of guys, often on first name basis, and even the sponsors and moderators are very involved. But for those same reasons, it seems that people tip-toe around their real opinions, because they don't want to make a sponsor or someone else upset. I know I've been asked nAgain, respect is the answer but shouldn't be in the way of being honest and informative. I know I unapologetically blasted HECS magnetic suits before. Maybe I could have been more respectful, but if it saves 1 new hunter $100 of hard earned money then it was worth it. If we are all going to sit around and stroke egos and avoid the hard discussions, there isn't much to be learned here.

Yes, let's all play nice and treat each other with respect in each and every post. But if someone is advocating something dumb, like taking low percentage shots, I hope someone jumps on his case. Respectfully, of course. But, just the same, we should all feel free to post our opinions and experiences, no matter how dumb they are.....but should be prepared for the (respectful) flames!
Freebird134

First Name: Brandon

Postby Z Barebow » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 18]

I haven't totally dumped AT and Bowsite, but I find I visit them a lot less.

I am interested in constructive discussions and topics, not destructive. This site is among the tops in quality and content.

Name calling is never constructive. Life is too short to put up with that type of behavior. When people act in this manner, even if they might have a valid point, they have lost me. Maybe I don't get this internet thing.
Z Barebow

First Name: Brian
Last Name: Zastoupil

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 18, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Freebird134 wrote:I agree with everyone that is encouraging respectful discussion. I see no reason we can't discuss, disagree, and learn from everyone, as long as it's always done with respect. However, as much as I agree with WW in regards to avoiding bickering, namecalling and all that childish stuff, my least favorite part of this forum is that sometimes it feels too guarded, bordering on censored at times.

Nailed it.

In my opinion.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam