Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Best way to transport a cape

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Best way to transport a cape

Postby dotman » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Ok so what is everyone doing to transport their capes and hides? I'm talking about when you have a 1600 mile drive. Do you just salt it and roll in up, then put iron a sealed garbage bag in a cooler to stay cold?
dotman

Re: Best way to transport a cape

Postby buglmin » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 2]

If you salt the hide, it'll make a mess. The thing we've always done is freeze the cape and then use dry ice in a cooler with the hide and meat. I've brough back a lot of game from Texas using dry ice. When we stop and check into motels, if the dry ice is gone, I ice everything from the ice machine an then get more dry ice in the morning...we alway travel with smaller coolers instead of a just one large cooler. Unless the cape is frozen, I wont put anything in garbage bags. The key is to keep checking the meat and cape throughout the trip.
On our trips from Utah and AZ, we did the same thing, using dry ice and coolers...
buglmin

Re: Best way to transport a cape

Postby Bartfrncs » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Freeze the hide keep it frozen with dry ice. once frozen you can put in plastic bags. If you put hides in plastic bags before all the heat is gone you could lose hair.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs