Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

how many

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

how many

Postby bnsafe » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 1]

guys on here are after there first elk, just curious what the breakdown is from newbies to killers.

I have never killed one and only hunted once
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: how many

Postby ctdad » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I've only killed one and it was with a rifle.
ctdad

how many

Postby pointysticks » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 3]

ctdad wrote:I've only killed one and it was with a rifle.

Me too! #2 with a bow is challenging indeed.
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby FemoralArchery » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 4]

pointysticks wrote:
ctdad wrote:I've only killed one and it was with a rifle.

Me too! #2 with a bow is challenging indeed.

Well I'm with you fellers.
FemoralArchery

First Name: Adam

Postby wawhitey » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 5]

havent filled an elk tag yet, this is the year. and im going to do it with a home made bow. confidence level is high
wawhitey

Postby mtnmutt » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 6]

0 game animals of any kind.

I am a bit crazy to go after something so difficult for my first kill, but I was hooked when I had one in bow range on my first day. Just blew the shot. I have since mitigated my weaknesses and hope this is my year: 4th season. I will have more hunting days than previous years, so better chance to fill the freezer.

I wish all elk tag soup alumni the best of luck!
mtnmutt

Postby Swede » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I have killed 22 from a tree stand. All of the others I did not kill from a tree stand. On average it takes me 10 days hunting per elk kill. To be honest I only share this because it may be important to some to know that I have at least some experience. I think it odd, and I feel weird to focus on the score. Don't get me wrong, if you like to compare kills, I have nothing negative to say or even think. It is just me.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I'll have to be honest also when I say I have no idea how many elk I have taken. But it is a bunch for sure. Plus I've been responsible for close to twice as many as what I have personallly taken when I count the ones I have either called in for or guided other hunters to. I'd have to guess somewhere around 50+. I did try to keep score of how many I called in to 20 yards or less one season. I wouldn't have any idea what that number that was except that I put a tally mark on my bow for each one. If they were over 20 yards, I didn't count them as a call in. The tally was 43 before I quite marking them down.

Out of all of those, I have never taken what I would class as a trophy bull! And like Swede said, I just never did see any importance of keeping score.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

how many

Postby Huntography » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I hunted ONE day last year. The last Saturday of the season and got on a bull but could not close the distance. The rest of the month I was filming elk hunters for my elk hunting documentary.

Killed lots of deer since I was a kid, just not elk, yet. This year I'm setting time aside to hunt at least a few days for elk :) I'm hooked on elk now.

Paul and the forum have been a huge help in my prep for this fall.

To all you guys who haven't got one yet, let this year be our time. And to all you who have gotten elk, thanks so much for sharing your tips and experiences. It means a lot.

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby ctdad » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 10]

I've been a successful archery hunter for every species I've ever hunted and quickly. .... except for elk. I'm not a big score keeper either and i couldn't tell you how many whitetail I've taken and i have taken numerous pope and young bucks. However, having tried unsuccessfully to kill an elk with a bow so far, I have to say it is a much bigger deal when you don't yet have a kill. I enjoy the experience regardless, but I'd be lying to say that killing an elk didn't matter. I continue to work on all aspects of becoming a better elk hunter: shooting, elk language, calling, map study, scouting, positive mental attitude, physical fitness, elk behavior, etc. I'm not upset or down about the score. I feel like it is what is and I'll kill one when i kill one. But yes, the "score" is something I'm very aware of. It is a good motivator. :smile:
ctdad

Postby bnsafe » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 11]

yea this wasn't about score, I have no idea how many whitetails or turkeys ive taken, lots and lots, I was just wondering how many guys on here have been there done that and how many of us were anticipating our first kill like a high school kid on prom nite. Im kinda surprised that a lot of us havnt got it done.
bnsafe

Postby JJ Overkill » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 12]

I should be in the shot one group but I messed that up with poor shooting on first elk hunt, so im still trying to put my first on the ground
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby huntnut12 » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 13]

being from Indiana and only getting to go every other year or every third year it makes it kinda tough.
with the help of this forum I was able to harvest my 3 elk last fall.
huntnut12

First Name: rodney
Last Name: schlomer

Postby LckyTylr » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 14]

I'm Elk-less as well.

Going into my 5th season and this year I'm going to get it done. I have the the tools and the bag of tricks I need to find and kill Idaho's dumbest satellite bull. :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby cnelk » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Not unlike many other memorable things in life, harvesting your first elk is an accomplishment.

I remember my 1st rifle harvest, and my 1st archery harvest.
I recall most of the elk we have taken but not all.

Becoming archery elk hunter made me a better rifle elk hunter.
Shooting a trad bow has made me a better compound shooter

Getting over the 'hump' and getting that 1st elk can be troublesome.
Some guys try too hard. Some guys dont try hard enough.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

how many

Postby RockChucker30 » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 16]

I've been on one elk hunt and gotten one bull, so I guess I'm kind of an advanced newbie at this point.
Paradox Packs
Performance Driven Backpacks
RockChucker30
Site Sponsor

First Name: Nathan
Last Name: Coleman

Postby Chukarhunter » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 17]

I've managed one bull and a couple of cows, all rifle. Lots of mulies and a few antelope, again all rifle
I'd love to archery hunt (actually bought a bow, and practice quite a bit), but at 61, I may be a bit old to start (and actually harvest anything, considering the on-the-job hunt training I'd need)
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby LckyTylr » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Bill . . . I think you should reevaluate you standpoint on being too old to start archery Elk hunting. If you aren't living . . . you are dying.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby cnelk » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Bill,
Some food for thought for you...

By taking the path of least resistance you will get to your destination quicker.
Whereas, taking the road less traveled will gain excitement, hope and more satisfaction

:)
cnelk

Last Name: K

Postby planebow » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Chukarhunter wrote:I've managed one bull and a couple of cows, all rifle. Lots of mulies and a few antelope, again all rifle
I'd love to archery hunt (actually bought a bow, and practice quite a bit), but at 61, I may be a bit old to start (and actually harvest anything, considering the on-the-job hunt training I'd need)

I am turning 67 this month and I got my bull last year with my bow and hoping for anouther this fall. You are never to old!
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby bnsafe » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 21]

go for it bill, worst thing that can happen is more time with the elk.
bnsafe

Postby tdiesel » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Wow this thread has me surprised as well . Never killed a monster but I've kill quite a few some years I get both cow and bull not sure on total number hoping to get a better than average bull this year!
tdiesel

First Name: Tod
Last Name: Mortensen

Postby otcWill » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Struck out my first season. That hasn't happened again. I eat, sleep, and breathe archery elk Huntn and get at least2 tags per year, so no excuses for me not to get it done ;)
otcWill

Postby aron » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 24]

This fall will be my first elk hunt
aron

First Name: Aron

Postby easeup » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 25]

ctdad wrote:.......... .... except for elk. ....................................... having tried unsuccessfully to kill an elk with a bow so far, I have to say it is a much bigger deal when you don't yet have a kill. I enjoy the experience regardless, but I'd be lying to say that killing an elk didn't matter. I continue to work on all aspects of becoming a better elk hunter: shooting, elk language, calling, map study, scouting, positive mental attitude, physical fitness, elk behavior, etc. I'm not upset or down about the score. I feel like it is what is and I'll kill one when i kill one. But yes, the "score" is something I'm very aware of. It is a good motivator. :smile:

you know this is a good place to be when the members a very comfortable to discuss their disappointments in life. I cant say that for other hunting forums.

I expect everyone who ever posted has been where the first timer is today. They know what you said, because they have been there and some for many years and thousands of dollars in the hole. Well the word of encouragement today is this....where there is no practice....there is no passion....and with no passion, there will never be any satisfaction. Well, gentlemen and princess, your day is coming.
easeup

Postby GetemDuck » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 26]

ELK 5 / Brad 0 - I've always been more focused on getting my dad an elk rather then my self which he did last year and it was great. I have seen elk every year, I have set up game cameras every year and had elk on them, I have had elk in my cross hairs but unable to pull the trigger so many things have happened but I have learned from them all.

This year will be my first time archery hunting elk so maybe this will be my year, I just wish dad could come out and hunt with me.
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby one_elk » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 27]

I have spent a lot of time hunting elk and I agree with what someone said earlier that at least for me on average it takes ten good days of hunting to kill an elk. I guided for a couple of outfitters for 5 or 6 years basically from the end of August thru most of December and my hunters harvested 31 elk. Not sure how many I have killed but as “cnelk” said I do remember my first rifle kill when I was 16 and my first archery kill when I was 21, but if I had to guess I would say I have harvested 30+ elk, take away poor memory and the exaggeration factor (you know the older we get the better we were….) I would say I have easily harvested 20+ elk….
one_elk

Postby Harmy » 06 05, 2013 •  [Post 28]

How Many? Hard to answer as I don't keep records or tallys. I have one bull, one spike, and something like 10 or so cows. About 8 or so mulies, one moose, one bison, and 3 pronghorn. I don't really keep score or document what I have done until last year when I wrote up my hunts for this forum. All of mine are with rifle or Muzzy. All are spot and stalk. Just started last year with calling.
Harmy

First Name: Chris

Postby planebow » 06 05, 2013 •  [Post 29]

Have about 10 with a rifle and 5 with my bow. Still waiting on a large bull but when you hunt for the meat it may be some time coming.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby Chukarhunter » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 30]

planebow wrote:
Chukarhunter wrote:I've managed one bull and a couple of cows, all rifle. Lots of mulies and a few antelope, again all rifle

I am turning 67 this month and I got my bull last year with my bow and hoping for anouther this fall. You are never to old!
cnelk wrote:Bill,

By taking the path of least resistance you will get to your destination quicker.
Whereas, taking the road less traveled will gain excitement, hope and more satisfaction

cnelk wrote:Bill,

LckyTylr wrote:Bill . . . I think you should reevaluate you standpoint on being too old to start archery Elk hunting. If you aren't living . . . you are dying.
bnsafe wrote:go for it bill, worst thing that can happen is more time with the elk.

Wow....these replies surprised me :shock: ! I figured most of the archery hunters on here had been at it awhile. I know there's a steep learning curve regarding archery (as opposed to rifle) hunting elk, and thought I'd be mainly taking nice hikes carrying a bow as opposed to actually having a chance to bring home some meat! But you all have valid points. I've got a rifle deer tag here in Nevada this year, but I may just put in for archery next year and see what happens. Like it was so well stated above...."taking the road less traveled will gain excitement, hope and more satisfaction"
Chukarhunter

First Name: Bill

Postby dapper » 06 10, 2013 •  [Post 31]

Being from Wisconsin its been mostly whitetails and bears. I actually don't know how many antlered whitetails I taken with a bow, I lost count many years ago. But I do know how many elk I've taken, a big fat zero! Maybe this is the year.
dapper

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Behring