Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

meet an greet

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

meet an greet

Postby bnsafe » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

anybody ever thought of doing a meet and greet of members here. we have a great group of guys and gals here. would be fun to camp out for a weekend and talk elk, mulies, etc and actually shake hands with some folks on here. maybe in a semi central location say western slope area. just a idea.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Re: meet an greet

Postby Buglemaster » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I like it.Throw up some targets & do a little shooting just for bragging rights.Bring the calls & have a "elk nuts jamboree" It would be fun to put a face with all the handles posted on here.Heck, if I could ever make the Jamboree here in Colo in July it would be monumental...Somebody start something & let's see where it goes!
Buglemaster

First Name: Dave
Last Name: Shaklee

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

depends on the time frame but Id be up for it
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby bnsafe » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 4]

well i just moved to colorado and live on the front range so some colorado guys throw out some ideas. something as close to wy id mt as possible i would say. this may not be doable as we are scattered out across the country. sometime in late july early august unless everybody is scouting then but might be fun a few weeks before elk season. will mean more when guys start posting kill pics and youve actually met them. throw out some ideas
bnsafe

Postby bnsafe » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 5]

if pual would allow we could call it elknut rendevous like the mnt men did. heck throw in some money and pay some guys to give a demonstration.
bnsafe

Postby otcWill » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 6]

I'd be down to get together with the Elknuts any time here in Colorado! Anybody going to the Full Draw Film Tour in Denver? It's pretty awesome and would be a good place to meet some guys. I'm game for other suggestions or areas as well
otcWill

Postby Swede » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 7]

It looks like folks from Colorado would be in. I just think it would have to accomplish more than meeting and greeting, to draw folks from thousands of miles. A big get together on public land requires a permit, which requires an environmental assessment, etcetera, etc. It might be easier to get people to come to a seminar in a city, with sponsors, lectures, demonstrations, etc. To work, these things take planning, organizing, time, advertising and $$$$.
I like the general idea. I am just not too excited about the idea of flying into Denver, renting a vehicle, heading out for two hours to a camp site where there are just three guys that got the weekend off. Worse yet when the three guys saw that I was the only one who came from more that 100 miles away, they grab their stuff and head to town. :oops:
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby buglmin » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 8]

It would be fun, but like it was already mentioned, pulling permits, organizing, would take a year or two, plus getting people to volunteer to help would be hard, plus the cost of insurance needed that would be required by the Forest servce...lots of money just to get started. Then having to raise the money needed to pay people to give seminars, pay the cost of permits and insurance, outside toilets, you'd have to charge a pretty penny for enterance. Then, if not enough guys show up, youre out a lot of pocket money!! Sponsors? If It dont involve TV shows, good luck getting sponsors these days.
I live 7 hours sw of Denver, and it would mean a three day trip for me, plus the cost of fuel...that the reason why I dont really particapte in the 3D shoots up there...The Colorado Jambree is fun, but I havent gone for a few years now. And becausevof the location now, its a longer drive for me, which really sucks, cause I have to leave early on Sundays to travel home. Almost aint worth the trouble...
buglmin

Postby Bartfrncs » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 9]

It doesn't have to be everyone just say the ones on the front range ect. You have to start somewhere.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby LckyTylr » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Why not do a few regional ones. I know that there are some guys from ID, some from CO, OR, WA, NM, AZ, MT, WY . . . we could all try to do our own. I know it's not the same as meeting all of the Elknuts, but as long as someone has a camera at each gathering . . . we'd all get to see "pics from the ID Elknuts Rendezvous" and we'd get to know each other on here . . . more than we already do. Permits and insurance wouldn't be required if it's just something as simple as a barbeque. I don't need seminars to want to meet up with other Elknuts. For instance, if there are a few Elknuts that would be willing to make the drive to Boise for an Idaho meetup, we could make a reservation at Hyde Park in downtown boise. They have restrooms, grills, parking and picnic tables. After a nice barbeque, maybe some of us would want to wander down the street for a beer. I haven't looked it up, but I can't imagine that insurance is required for something that's very small and informal . . . ?
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby buglmin » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Something small and informal wouldnt require permits or insurance. But once you start getting several groups together, give it a name, and use forest land, then you get the Forest Service involved, which will require permits, and because of the gathering, the forst Service could require insurance. We used to help put 3D shoots together, and after a while, it became a lot of work with no one willing to help...thats part of the reason Cabelas dropped the huge 3D shoot they held every year in Arizona
buglmin

Postby bnsafe » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 12]

shoot guys I wasn't thinking anything formal, just a campground an a bunch of tents and guys sittin around a campfire talking elk. nothing formal or permits needed for that.
bnsafe

Postby Buglemaster » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Ya, I don't know where the convention idea came from either...
Buglemaster

Postby cnelk » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 14]

It would prob work best if a location was determined where everyone had to travel.
Im sure there is some place that would be agreed upon

I have a sister in Portland that I dont see that often.
I wonder if Swede could break away for a elk story if I went that way :)
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Swede is pretty clever. With a little information he could not only come up with a story, but he could also arrange a meeting place. If folks want to come during the rainy season (October-June), we need to think indoors. I would be interested in meeting the Elknuts who inhabit this site. Portland is easy to get in and out of. I do not want to hijack the idea, but if people are interested in Portland, I will assist.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 16]

no hijacking involved this is an idea, not something set in stone. if Portland area works an folks wanna go im good with it. never been to Washington. somebody with some mngt skills get this thing goin, im in as long as I have a couple weeks notice.
bnsafe

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 17]

Perhaps try to arrange a rendezvous during an existing, pre-scheduled Sportsman show. I haven't been to one of these things in years but used to enjoy swinging in. Here's a link for some NW shows. I think there are perhaps even better ones scheduled if someone else wants to chime in. Geez, maybe the Elknut himself could swing in and inhabit a booth :)..

http://www.thesportshows.com/pnwss/
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby elkmtngear » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 18]

Phantom16 wrote:Perhaps try to arrange a rendezvous during an existing, pre-scheduled Sportsman show. I haven't been to one of these things in years but used to enjoy swinging in. Here's a link for some NW shows. I think there are perhaps even better ones scheduled if someone else wants to chime in. Geez, maybe the Elknut himself could swing in and inhabit a booth :)..

http://www.thesportshows.com/pnwss/

I was seriously thinking about doing the Portland Show next Year (purchasing a booth for Elk Mountain Gear).

This would make it very worthwhile, it would be awesome to meet a cluster of elk nuts!
Best of Luck,
Jeff (Elknut Forums Sponsor)
http://elkmtngear.com/blog/elk-mountain/introducing-the-worlds-most-versatile-blind
the Elk Mountain SLIP System...SLIP it on, SLIP in, and get the SHOT!
elkmtngear
Site Sponsor

meet an greet

Postby Huntography » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 19]

Im in Fort Collins and I'd be in.

I'd be up for filming it so all Elk Nuts from around the world who could not attend could experience it.

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

First Name: Rudy

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Portland, Denver, Ft. Collins?????????? Are we elk hunters or a bunch of city slickers. Kinda hard to sit around a campfire in a city park somewhere!
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby bnsafe » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 21]

lol, now that's funny. somebody with some mngt skills needs to make a decision an see where it goes. sounds like there is some interest. im gonna vote we all meet at pauls house say opening day.
bnsafe

Postby Buglemaster » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 22]

I agree WW. I wanna get out of the city & smell the cool mountain air & sleep on a rock or two.Can you imagine the total turmoil if we had a bugle feast in any city park here in Colorado.The Hickenlooper militia would prolly have us all arrested.Kings Canyon possibly would draw a few from Wyoming as well as Colo???
Buglemaster

meet an greet

Postby Huntography » 06 02, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Well, I just said where I'm from, not where we should meet up :)

I prefer the high country any day.

Rudy
Huntography
Site Sponsor

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 24]

Hope I didn't offend you Rudy. And your filming the meeting is a very noble gesture. Thank-you very much. Hopefully this type of thing can happen eventually. It doesn't have to be a big sort of thing where NF permits are required. Just a bunch of guys getting together.
>>>---WW---->

Postby dotman » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 25]

If it us over a weekend and someone can pick me up and take me back to the airport I would be up for this as long as I can get the boss to sign off. Flights are pretty cheap currently from KC to Denver. But probably won't work if it is a 5hr drive from Denver.
dotman

Postby bnsafe » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 26]

I live about 45 minutes from the airport dotman, depending on dates I could prob pick you up. ok Colorado guys, what spot works best, anybody from wy id mt wanting to come. lets start making a list of guys that wanna come an pick a couple dates. I will look at the calendar later today when I get some more time.
bnsafe

Postby Huntography » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 27]

Likewise and No worries >>>---WW---->. I think we can all agree that we prefer the mountains over a city park ;)
Rudy
Documentary Filmmaker, Huntography

Filming America's Hunters, One at a Time.
http://www.huntography.com/
Huntography
Site Sponsor

Postby one_elk » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 28]

It sounds like a good time, hope it can be pulled together of course CO has lots to offer but other states do as well. How about in the Buffalo WY area???? Just a thought....
one_elk

Postby Buglemaster » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 29]

I wish I had the time & resources to visit anywhere with all of the guys on here, but that's not an option at the moment. :cry: I imagine if it happens, most outings will be just a few guys from within their home state with a possibility of some from an adjacent state if its not to distant.With the cost of fuel & airline tickets, it's gonna be tough for most guys to travel very far.It would be easier on all if 2/3 guys could travel together & share fuel costs. Anyone from the Ks, Neb area could pool with me. The border of Colo & Wyo are within striking distance & I'm shure we could find a great place to rendezvous.I think timing will be the biggest obstacle.With preseason scouting trips & general summer time activities, it will take some planning. But man would it be fun!
Buglemaster

Postby eltaco » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 30]

How about UT... its right between all you gun hating hippies and Mr. Elknut... plus, I'd only have to drive a few miles ;)
eltaco

Postby bnsafe » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 31]

still havnt had time to get to a calendar but hopefully tonite. I will throw out a couple ideas and places and we will see what the response is. I think time will be the biggest factor, and again if anybody has any specific area campground etc let me know. I havnt been here long enuf to know where to go. I have no idea where buffalo wy is but if there are antelope there im good with a drive thru
bnsafe

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 32]

Yes sir! It would be fun for sure! I tell you, Buglemaster will tell some tall tales that will keep you in stitches. But if he brings up the time we jumped that over pass in New Mexico at 70MPH on an icey road with a hair pin turn at the bottom on the other side, I'm sure he will leave out the part about having to stop in Dumas, Tx. for him to change his diaper.

Guess I should have told him I used to be a NASCAR driver. LOL!
>>>---WW---->

Postby Buglemaster » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 33]

Note to self...don't let old farts drive...even their own ride!Bill, Lou, you guys got any suggestions for a location.I just thought if we could keep it close to the Wyo/ Colo border we might get a few from Wyoming to join us.What about Kings Canyon north east of Walden or Rabbit Ears pass somewhere. I know for all of our safety we should do it close to Craig so that old fart wouldn't have to drive very far...
Buglemaster

Postby >>>---WW----> » 06 05, 2013 •  [Post 34]

Personally I don't care. I bought a popup camper for the pickup and I'd be willing to go just about anywhere to try it out.
>>>---WW---->

Postby bnsafe » 06 05, 2013 •  [Post 35]

im gonna propose july 26th-28th somewhere in northern Colorado, theres a start
bnsafe