Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Summer Adventures

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Summer Adventures

Postby cnelk » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Other than scouting for hunting spots, what is everyone doing over the summer?

I have a couple trips planned.
One to N Wyoming to relax and do some catfishing for a few days in July
The off to Lake of the Woods Minnesota for a week to celebrate my grandpa's 99th Bday and do some walleye fishing

But until then its nothing but work.
School is officially out today and I have $1.9m of construction projects to do in 80 days before the kids come back
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Re: Summer Adventures

Postby GetemDuck » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 2]

Headin' back to PA in a few weeks to fish lake Erie for some eyes, perch and crappie and see the family.

Other then that it will be work work work.
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby planebow » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Have my annual fly fishing trip to the St. Joe in Idaho and A trip to central Oregon to see my mother. Other than that just summer time camping.
planebow

First Name: Robert
Last Name: Howard

Postby buglmin » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 4]

Gotta shoot a few more 3D touraments...texas was fun, but hot. Great to see friends and visit with them.
Planning a few trips to the high country this summer, work the horses out, enjoy the fishing. Other then that, not too much planned til August!
buglmin

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 5]

lots of camping trips with the family along with some fishing.

cnelk where on the lake are you heading? that's one thing I miss about mn, that lake along with rainy
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Bartfrncs » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Flying airplanes in the western half of Colorado.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby cnelk » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 7]

jerinmn wrote:
cnelk where on the lake are you heading? that's one thing I miss about mn, that lake along with rainy

Im from Baudette
cnelk

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 8]

ive spent a lot of time in that area. mainly in the winter months.

im from int'l falls.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Postby Indian Summer » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Leech was good for awhile but lately Mil Lacs has been on fire. Can't beat Lake of the Woods for atmosphere though. Mtnmutt didn't you say you were from Minnesota?

Leave tomorrow for bear in New Brunswick. Then to Lake St Clair for muskies the last week of June. Always riding the bikes. Good rally in Erie Pa mid July. Sturgis the first week of August followed by a scouting mission to Wyoming. Some other miscellaneous fishing... Erie for eyes and perch, Chautauqua NY for muskies. As many campfires as I can find time to sit around.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby bnsafe » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 10]

gonna try to take the kids to yellowstone and custers last stand, maybe try to get to glacier nat park but doubt that will happen. got a few three day trips planned for here in colorado. hopefully will be shootin my bow, scoutin, and campin some this summer.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby cnelk » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 11]

jerinmn wrote:ive spent a lot of time in that area. mainly in the winter months.

im from int'l falls.

We prob know the same people. I got a big family there, and many, many friends.
cnelk

Postby bnsafe » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 12]

went to mn bear hunting a couple years ago and passed through it on my way to canada fishing. very pretty area. dont believe theres any bears there but pretty area.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby mtnmutt » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Indian Summer wrote:Mtnmutt didn't you say you were from Minnesota?

No, I am a city bum from Baltimore, MD. I work with people in MN and used to travel there twice a year for work.

My summer adventures are usually in Colorado. I venture out of state for oct-may. After 18 months of travel starting in 2011, I am happy to stay in Colorado to play this year.
mtnmutt

Postby LckyTylr » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Going back to Upstate NY in early July to be in a wedding. Probably do some sporting clays shooting with the guys while I'm there if my shoulder can take it. They all want to go golfing, but I'm fairly certain I won't be able to swing a club by then . . . so I'll be the Drunk-Cart-Driver.

Camping trips. I have a 16 month old son that LOVES to get dirty and my inlaws just bought a camper, so we are going to spend a lot of time camping and I may or may not get lost in the woods for a few hours every weekend blowing my squeaky whistle and listening intently.

Work . . . work . . . work . . . work. We are building Idaho's tallest building in Boise and our schedule, as always, is anything BUT conducive to taking time off or relaxing a little, FULL STEAM AHEAD!
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby MontBison » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 15]

Indian Summer wrote:Leech was good for awhile but lately Mil Lacs has been on fire. Can't beat Lake of the Woods for atmosphere though. Mtnmutt didn't you say you were from Minnesota?

Leave tomorrow for bear in New Brunswick. Then to Lake St Clair for muskies the last week of June. Always riding the bikes. Good rally in Erie Pa mid July. Sturgis the first week of August followed by a scouting mission to Wyoming. Some other miscellaneous fishing... Erie for eyes and perch, Chautauqua NY for muskies. As many campfires as I can find time to sit around.

Mille Lacs got pretty hammered by the inidians netting walleyes and this year they cut the limit to 2.
MontBison

Postby cnelk » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 16]

MontBison wrote:Mille Lacs got pretty hammered by the inidians netting walleyes and this year they cut the limit to 2.

Same thing happened to Red Lake a few years ago. It was decimated. Just now coming back.
cnelk

Postby MontBison » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 17]

cnelk wrote:
MontBison wrote:Mille Lacs got pretty hammered by the inidians netting walleyes and this year they cut the limit to 2.

Same thing happened to Red Lake a few years ago. It was decimated. Just now coming back.

Hopefully it doesn't get THAT bad. At least red lake still had some phenomenal croppie fishing
MontBison

Postby dotman » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 18]

bnsafe wrote:gonna try to take the kids to yellowstone and custers last stand, maybe try to get to glacier nat park but doubt that will happen. got a few three day trips planned for here in colorado. hopefully will be shootin my bow, scoutin, and campin some this summer.

Personally I would skip Yellowstone and go to GNP instead, I love that place.
dotman

Postby Mikeha33 » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 19]

My adventure this summer consists of adding another member to our family in about 3 weeks. Our little one (we didn't find out the sex :)) is due 6-23, so between that, and prepping for CO the week after Labor day, I'm pretty swamped. We will get out for 1 weekend float trip with a big group of friends the first weekend of August, but other than that, I'll be sticking around the house, doing my Daddy duties, with the occasional nighttime catfishing trip, and LATE (like put the wife and kids to bed late,) night frogging hunts (those make for early mornings!).
Mikeha33

First Name: Michael
Last Name: Halsey

Postby one_elk » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 20]

Colorado high country for me skiing, mountain biking, fhishing and just generally exploring....
one_elk

Summer Adventures

Postby Moose Man » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 21]

My first mini summer adventure started today, Muskie mission in Minnesota, came out for work but managed to squeeze in a day of fishing. Glassy and no clouds, not ideal conditions but loving every cast.. Didn't see a fish all morning, quick break then back at it again!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370283894.224386.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1370283894.224386.jpg (45.62 KiB) Viewed 8657 times
Moose Man

First Name: Erik

Postby Lefty » 06 03, 2013 •  [Post 22]

Just came home from the hospitol for hip surgery Saturday.
I expect Ill spend some time on the bank with a fishing rod.
Scout camp for a week.
Get well enough for some ATV trips and good enough shape to hunt elk
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby Vanish » 06 04, 2013 •  [Post 23]

Started in earnest this past weekend. 12 mile loop. It was cold at 11k on Saturday night.

About 100 of these guys.

Vanish

First Name: Ryan
Last Name: Driskel