Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

man did i get lucky, so to speak

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

man did i get lucky, so to speak

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I was working on memorial day, a little extra money, im a millwright by trade. me and four other guys were putting a hub on a shaft for a crusher. I was pulling on a come along while the other guys were hitting the end of the hub with a dead blow hammer. (18# plastic hammer) I was on the left side of the hub and the other guys were on the right. one of the guys switched to the left side and went to swing the hammer and got caught up in the structure behind him, he short swung the hammer it glanced of the shaft, hit me in the face and broke my nose. it hurts like heck now, but I did get lucky! it could have been much worse than this. if it would have been a full swing and didn't glance god only knows how bad it would have been.

I guess the reason im writing this is, it only takes a split second to put things back into perspective and remind us of whats really important in life. when I got home my 3 children where at the bottom of the steps wanting to give me a hug and make sure I was ok. im sure they wanted to see how bad my face was as well. my wife meet me at the ER room.

I can say, ive been hit several times before, but never like that! I just thank god I have more time with those I love. it could have been worse.
JJ Overkill

First Name: jeremy

Re: man did i get lucky, so to speak

Postby Bartfrncs » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

As an old Infantry Soldier I know exactly what you mean! I have been lucky about a hundred times. I have the medals to prove it too.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Bartfrncs wrote:As an old Infantry Soldier I know exactly what you mean! I have been lucky about a hundred times. I have the medals to prove it too.

im also a purple heart recipient. Iraq 2004. armored crew man / mech infantry.

THANK YOU for your service!
JJ Overkill

Postby bnsafe » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

glad you didnt get hurt worse, that coulda been bad. and thank both of you for your service and sacrifices. it is appreciated
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Always remember what's important in life. FAMILY!

Glad your ok Jeremy.
JohnFitzgerald

Postby WapitiTalk1 » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 6]

Glad you're OK Jeremy.. Yikes, very close call.
WapitiTalk1

First Name: RJ

Postby Swede » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 7]

I too am pleased you are able to reflect on the incident and tell the story about it. I too have been hit hard and had near misses. I just thank the Lord I was able to recover.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I know exactly how fast accidents can happen and how lucky a person can be.
Glad all is good
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby LckyTylr » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Glad to hear that you are okay and that it reset your perspective.

Now, do yourself a favor and consider this.

You were working on Memorial Day, a day set aside to honor those who have stood up to serve their country. A day for the citizens to thank you for those sacrifices. You have done your part and deserved your time at home with the Family. If it had been worse, think about how unfair it would have been for something terrible to happen on that particular day.

I realize that with many jobs, there is not an option to tell the boss "No thanks, I'd rather have the day off". I have one of those jobs, my Project Manager (Construction) asked me to work the Sunday before Memorial Day. I told him thanks but no thanks, I earned my weekend off.

Just food for thought, maybe next year, try to keep your face from slowing the speed of heavy hammers . . . and go fishing with your family.

:-)

Thank you for your service, Brother.
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson

Postby pointysticks » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 10]

remember to say, if asked:

"dont ask, but you should see the other guy!"..

work the story. let it grow!!
pointysticks

First Name: cliff
Last Name: l

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 11]

update: went to the doc today, everything looks ok, my nose is a touch crooked but I opted just to leave it. I finally stopped bleeding yesterday morning. didn't want it to start again. still have some pain in my face and neck but im feeling a lot better.

thanks guys for the kind words, it could have been much worse than it was. im hoping buy this time next yr I wont have to worry about OT. im trying to start a bow shop. my dream job.
JJ Overkill

Postby ElkNut1 » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 12]

Glad you're OK Jeremy! 18# plastic hammer to the nose would have a guy seeing stars! (grin)

ElkNut1
ElkNut1
ElkNut/Paul

Postby JJ Overkill » 05 31, 2013 •  [Post 13]

didn't really see stars, I saw an orange round object, then black for a second, then red. lots of red.

FYI- don't try and use a mouth reed less than a week after getting a broken nose even if it doesn't hurt. you will know in an instant its not ok :o
JJ Overkill

Postby LckyTylr » 06 01, 2013 •  [Post 14]

A new bow shop . . . AWESOME! Can't wait to see this dream develop. I'm sure we have a few people around here that need bow stuff every once in a while. :-)
LckyTylr

First Name: Tyler
Last Name: Sisson