Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Baseball Season

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Baseball Season

Postby JohnFitzgerald » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 1]

Any body else trying to make it through baseball season? I've been coaching for the last 6 years and every year about this time I struggle. I'm trying to wrap up the season and all I have on my mind is getting back into my routine of elk hunting preparation.

Am I the only one on here? Any baseball payers/coaches out there that know what this time of year is like?
JohnFitzgerald

Re: Baseball Season

Postby bnsafe » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 2]

i hate admitting this but i hated coaching and was always glad to see the season end so i could get back to hunting prep. it mighta been different if my kids cared about sports but they didnt and it was just something to kill the time. i also hurt my relationship with my daughter over coaching cause i pushed her to try harder when she didnt care. so theres young guys tip of the day. in 10 years almost nothing matters anyway, dont sweat it.
bnsafe

First Name: Scott

Baseball Season

Postby Slim jim » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 3]

I love coaching my two youngest boys little league. Unlike bnsafe my kids love it and always talk about becoming professional some day. They collect cards, watch games, know all the players, etc. I enjoy it and I think it helps build a great bond between myself and my kids. I can relate to bnsafe on the kids not enjoying it though because my oldest son played football when he was young and hated it. I would sign him up season after season until he finally told me in high school that he didn't want to play anymore.

Our baseball season ended yesterday with a loss in the playoffs. The kids were devastated but it was a great season. Now I can focus on my coveted NV elk tag for the upcoming season.
Slim jim

First Name: Jimmy
Last Name: Tippetts

Postby cnelk » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 4]

For over the past 10+ years, I have been chasing my daughter around the US watching her play softball.
Oklahoma - Florida - California - Utah - Colorado.
Between Competitive and HS ball, she played ~100 games a year
Sure it was a drain on time and other hobbies, but it goes by so quick!

Now that she is in college and done for the year, we are going thru WITHDRAWAL!

I guarantee you you will miss those times when they are gone...
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby Swede » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 5]

I used to play baseball with my dad as a kid. He would bat, and I would bawl. I never developed much interest in the game. Are the Yankees on top again this year?
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby easeup » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 6]

cnelk wrote:For over the past 10+ years, I have been chasing my daughter around the US watching her play softball.
Oklahoma - Florida - California - Utah - Colorado.
Between Competitive and HS ball, she played ~100 games a year
Sure it was a drain on time and other hobbies, but it goes by so quick!

Now that she is in college and done for the year, we are going thru WITHDRAWAL!

I guarantee you you will miss those times when they are gone...

cnelk got it!!!
my wife and I look back on all of those games and wonder how we ever did it all......those days are gone now and so are the kids. and we both agree "those were the best days of our life togther"

hey Fitz, cheer up! here is my honest to God opinion, coaches can have the single most influence on a young mans entire life than anyone else and you never know which kid it is. Please keep up the good work. To this day I am still out there trying to influence young men to be honest, hard working and disciplined Christian men and baseball is certainly one of the best tools I have to get there.

plus I am willing to bet a guy like you only need about 4 days to get ready for a hunt anyway.
easeup

Postby cnelk » 05 29, 2013 •  [Post 7]

Here is what I have told my daughter about her ball career...

You wont remember that great diving catch in center field, or that spectacular double play, that game winning RBI

What you will remember are just two things:

A good coach and A bad coach

And she has
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby buglmin » 05 30, 2013 •  [Post 8]

I played division one baseball for 2 1/2 years, quit cause it just wasnt fun anymore...still have my letter of intent for the Reds...my youngest daughter quit playing softball two years ago, and I dont miss the trips to AZ or the heat in Pheonix. I've had more then my share of ball, and now have no interest in watching games at all. When baseball becomes work, isnt fun anymore, it isnt worth playing.
buglmin

Postby bowpackerrob » 06 08, 2013 •  [Post 9]

Baseball my favorite non hunting sport! My son is a pitcher for Arkansas Tech University in Russellville, Arkansas. I spend alot of time,starting usually the first week of February, going to weekend series, wouldn't miss it for the world. I am also an assitant baseball coach at our local high school so I do get my share of it as well. I miss alot of turkey hunting trips but when he is done with college ball, I will have plenty of time for the thunder chickens. Enjoy it guys, times like these will be gone before you know it. And yes, the turkeys just keep me in practice for elk hunting.
bowpackerrob

First Name: Robbie
Last Name: Crocker