Wapiti Talk | Elk Hunting Forum | Elk Hunting Tips

Newbie reloader

Moderators: Swede, Tigger, Lefty, Indian Summer, WapitiTalk1

Newbie reloader

Postby Migolito » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 1]

I am about to start doing some reloading for rifle cartridges (Live in a Leadfree state!). I won't be loading hundreds of cartriges, maybe somewhere less than 200 a year total. In looking at some posts, I'm leaning towards a RCBS Rockchucker, a RCBS uni-flow, a MTM digital scale and some full sizing Hornady dies. These seem to be the core stuff I need. Are these decent? Any suggestions are welcome.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Re: Newbie reloader

Postby Swede » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 2]

I don't guess it makes any real difference, but why would you not stick with RCBS dies for the RCBS equipment? I have had RCBS dies for years and not one problem with them. The other equipment you mentioned is top drawer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby Indian Summer » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 3]

Don't use the full length dies. When you shoot the ammo the first time it expands to fit your chamber perfectly. After that you should just use the neck resizer. Some guys who buy new brass will flash fire them just to expand the brass before reloading the first time. Everything else you mentioned is fine. A digital scale isn't really necessary though... but nice. Nothing wrong with RCBS dies either. That's what I've used for years. Good luck!
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro

Postby Migolito » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 4]

I found the Hornady dies for a lot less $$. I'll keep looking for RCBS. Indian, should I get a Trimmer?Thank you all for the advice.
Migolito

First Name: Mike

Postby Bartfrncs » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 5]

Just a Q do you have brass primers and bullets plus powder? Those things are pretty scarce right now.
Bartfrncs

First Name: Bart
Last Name: Frncs

Postby cnelk » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 6]

You can save a lot of money by getting a beam scale instead of a digital.
I can get down to tenths of grains with mine.

I also have an old crank trimmer. Not real fast but its accurate too.

Almost all my stuff is RCBS.

I reload 44 mag/22-250/ 243/270/ 30-06/340 Wby

You may be able to find the reloading components, but primers, powder and bullets are tough to find now

Good luck, reloading is a ton of fun.
cnelk

First Name: Brad
Last Name: K

Postby one_elk » 05 27, 2013 •  [Post 7]

A beam scale works well for me as well. I have been reloading (6mm, 270, 7mm mag, 7mm Rem ultra mag) for a while and have never had any problems my RCBS equipment...
one_elk

Postby Swede » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 8]

Cases stretch, so you will need a trimmer.
Swede
Wapiti Hunting - Tree Stand Tactics

Postby cnelk » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 9]

I was a newbie reloader a few years ago when I took the plunge.
I found all this stuff on Craigslist for $150

I then purchased an universal case trimmer and I was reloading!

cnelk

Last Name: K

Postby Lefty » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 10]

Follow the instuctions, find out what shoots best in your gun, and you should be impressed
Lefty
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

First Name: Dennis
Last Name: H

Postby >>>---WW----> » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 11]

Sounds like you are off to a good start. You can always add to your stuff from time to time. A good set of calipers is a must have item. You'll also need some case lube. It's a buger when you get a case hung up in your press. I really like the Hornaday One Shot lube in the spray can. Other things you might want to think about if you are a serious reloader would be a flash hole deburring tool, tumbler, primer tool, and several different reloading data books. Someone else can add to the list here. Seems like there is always something else you'll want or need.
>>>---WW---->
Wapiti Hunting - Strategy and Tactics

Postby GetemDuck » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 12]

the basic gear to get started will be a press with dies, a way to measure powder – a beam scale works great but is just a touch slower the a digital, a powder dispenser is a plus but not required and a caliper to check you O.A.L when finished.

Everything else it just a bonus.

A case trimmer is nice but depending on what you are reloading and your load you may never need one. Some low pressure loads just don't stretch the brass like other loads do.

Buy a nice kit to get started the rock chucker kit is a great way to start and gives you everything you need minus a set of dies......then just add to your stuff over time. I started reloading over 20 years ago and have more stuff then i really need but I wouldn't get rid of my rcbs chargemaster for any thing.....lol
GetemDuck

Last Name: W

Postby ST52V » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 13]

Reloading is like stepping in quick sand. My brother and I just started again after 15 years. We had the basics and after the last few months have decided to up grade some stuff. He was only neck sizing his 270 wsm and now he has to buy another die. After several loadings his bolt will not close due to the shoulders not getting set back. We want the most consistent amo we can make so we just ordered a neck thickness trimmer, a hornady lock n load run out gauge, and a coal gauge. We use a lee hand case length trimmer just fine. We also try to stick with hodgen extreme powders for consistent velocities in any temp. My buddy worked up a load for his 22-250 one winter. It was hot but showed no pressure signs. In july he took it out to shoot wood chucks and blew the primer out of his case on the first shot. Supplies are hard to come by and some bullets are not cheep. I could write for days about this. If you want pm me with your number and I be glade to talk with you.
ST52V

First Name: Robin
Last Name: Wise

Postby Indian Summer » 05 28, 2013 •  [Post 14]

Cases do stretch and yes you'll need a trimmer eventually. But you can skip trimming the first time or two you load the brass. But as mentioned you definitely need a caliper so you know the OAL (overall length) of the loaded cartridge which is the important part.

I've never used a digital scale. Never needed to and I like the beam scale just fine too.

Do you plan to load them to fit in the clip or magazine or to be longer so the bullet is just backed off of the lands in the rifling which minimizes jump before it contacts? Bench shooters like low tolerances on everything ya' know. But, depending on the bullet and magazine size sometimes a "long" round won't fit and you'll have one in the barrel and one in your pocket ready to go. I'd say don't worry about that right now. But do make them as long as you can but able to fit in the magazine.... just obviously not into the rifling! That'll be good enough by far for hunting. Factory ammo is "short" for safety so it works in any chamber. Also fits clips and magazines easy. But there's alot of jumo before the projectile touches the lands. In my opinion that's one of the reasons making your own ammo is an improvement right off the bat. Less jump. If you start reading up on reloading that's a subject your sure to come across.

Also need a powder trickler which is cheap. Not sure if that uniflow will work for that... not too familiar with that.
Indian Summer
Wapiti Hunting Consultant

First Name: Joe
Last Name: Ferraro